Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To perform the market action on an island that you have previously placed a trading post on, you must return your ship to that island, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dearolddad wrote:
To perform the market action on an island that you have previously placed a trading post on, you must return your ship to that island, correct?

Yep! Your trading post needs to be there and so does your ship during the turn you wish to perform it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EchoOperative wrote:
dearolddad wrote:

Yep! Your trading post needs to be there and so does your ship during the turn you wish to perform it.

That’s interesting, the people demoing it at the UK games expo were teaching it such that you don’t need your ship to be there; once you had a trading post on a market tile you could use that power at any time, as long as you were actually on a market tile, it didn’t have to be the one in use.
The rules do seem a little ambiguous on this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Tullis
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Did this question ever get resolved? This thread has 2 different answers. I just read the rules and it is not clearly stated either way in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
It was officially answered by
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
. People demoing games at cons often make mistakes.

I also don't see any real ambiguity in the rules. Also note that if you could use a market tile you were not on, a number of other questions would have to be addressed in the rules, e.g. can you use a market tile if your board is on a port tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plamen Dimitrov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmb
tool wrote:
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I also don't see any real ambiguity in the rules. Also note that if you could use a market tile you were not on, a number of other questions would have to be addressed in the rules, e.g. can you use a market tile if your board is on a port tile?

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but this is mentioned literally nowhere in the rules.

The beginning of the Market section states that your boat needs to be on a market space to build on that tile. That part is clear.

The next section says "Once you have an outpost on a market, you may perform the Market action". Notice it says "a market", not "the market" or "the current market tile". Absolutely no mention of a boat being there at all.

I am still not sure which is the correct way to play. I mean, the game is rather longish anyway (compared to Spice Road at least), now if you need to trek across the map for every single trade that would be torture...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Stealthbg wrote:
tool wrote:
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but this is mentioned literally nowhere in the rules.

The beginning of the Market section states that your boat needs to be on a market space to build on that tile. That part is clear.

The next section says "Once you have an outpost on a market, you may perform the Market action". Notice it says "a market", not "the market" or "the current market tile". Absolutely no mention of a boat being there at all.

I am still not sure which is the correct way to play. I mean, the game is rather longish anyway (compared to Spice Road at least), now if you need to trek across the map for every single trade that would be torture...

It is slightly unclear in the rules but it has received an official answer here. I don't know what else can make it more clear at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealthbg wrote:
tool wrote:
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

RAI and RAW sometimes diverge. Good thing someone here cleared it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.