Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A half-serious attempt to quantify and analyze the battles of famous commanders in history :

https://towardsdatascience.com/napoleon-was-the-best-general...

Yeah, the url gives it away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously there are a lot of flaws to something like this, but

1) It's an interesting idea to put some quantifiable measurements on it

2) The author is open about most of the flaws and limitations, and says flat-out this only measures tactical performance from the start of the battle to the end, relative to one particular predictive system that takes into account numbers, quality, and terrain.

It doesn't take into account the strategic situations, logistics, how much freedom or restrictions the general operated under, how good his associates or subordinates were, if he did a good job choosing the battle site in the first place, how well he conducted retreats or training, etc.

It doesn't measure degree of victory, or mitigation of defeat. If anything it favors generals suffering one swift and decisive defeat over ones who lived to fight another day when the odds were against them, because if it takes multiple defeats to knock you down, your negative scores start piling up. And likewise it can somewhat punish a single decisive victory, as opposed to an incomplete win that leaves the opponent fighting, but weakened enough to be beaten repeatedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there already a thread about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Nutmegistan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least two that I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet Washington really sucked a big one in this bit of stat abuse

The premises are flawed, it focuses solely on tactical wins, not at all on strategic concerns, and heavily (HEAVILY) rewards those titularly in charge during eras of frequent set-piece engagements.

Still a fun convo starter tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Ghengis Khan.
Or, if he moved himself from the realm of "battlefied general" to "political conquerer/leader" too much for some, then his general Subutai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:

December 7:
Napoleon Was the Best General Ever, and Math Proves It.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon? You mean the guy that brought 422.000/680.000 to Russia and came back with about 10.000/27.000? (*) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_invasion_of_Russia) whistlegulp

*I'm taking this out of context just a little bit and the numbers might not be that accurate but hey, still seems like a sad ordeal for a man his size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin
mbmbmbmbmb

Straight victories/Successful campaigns versus defeats/unsuccessful campaigns. Wellington would be a contender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Nutmegistan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Westie wrote:

December 7:

And a few hours earlier on December 7: Historical generals ranked by Wins Above Replacement

As I said there/then:

Quote:
Yeah, the example of Borodino doesn't work so well. Napoleon needed a war-winning victory, but instead he got a disastrously costly "win" on points that only sucked him into Moscow and even greater disaster.

If you don't connect outcomes to goals, you're not just forgetting your Clausewitz, you basically commit to underrating the genius of a Marlborough or Moltke the Elder.

It's a fun exercise, but it signifies nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
russ wrote:
Westie wrote:

December 7:

And a few hours earlier on December 7: Historical generals ranked by Wins Above Replacement

So we can conclude mathematically that Thierry is the best link reposter, and Eddy is the worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Straight victories/Successful campaigns versus defeats/unsuccessful campaigns. Wellington would be a contender.

Would not Monty and Patton also!!??

Interesting article even if the flaws are evident and the conclusions questionable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Ashwin
mbmbmbmbmb
hammurabi70 wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Interesting article even if the flaws are evident and the conclusions questionable.

Monty would be a problematic choice with his less than stellar series of operations during 1944.

I'm not a fan of Patton.

Lastly, my point was that Wellington would be a contender which means there are others as well.

Hope this clarifies.

Btw, Happy Xmas to you and the rest of the Epsom crew. Hope you have a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one-time mathematician in me wants to ask "Why is it that the only people who claim to have proven something mathematically have absolutely no idea what a mathematical proof even looks like?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you ever notice that winning battles doesn't always win wars. Seems like some of the greatest generals in history lost their wars. From Hannibal to Lee, across thousands of years, winning battles alone doesn't win the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bean-counting in extremis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Did you ever notice that winning battles doesn't always win wars. Seems like some of the greatest generals in history lost their wars. From Hannibal to Lee, across thousands of years, winning battles alone doesn't win the war.

Nor does losing battles lose wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He’s just trying to get at tactical prowess, so a battle like Borodino that was “won” by tactics, even though it in effect lost him the campaign by not being a big enough win, would still be OK. Purely tactical ability is a preposterous thing to try to isolate from everything else, but hey.

I do agree that the whole piece is ludicrous and worse than useless from a methodological standpoint. He doesn’t understand WAR, he doesn’t understand how data science works, and he doesn’t understand how battles are won, so that’s a trifecta if you’re trying to create a WAR for historical generals using data. WAR is tricky, you need really granular data to do it right, and you need a lot of domain knowledge. You can’t just make some shit up or add up wins. It just doesn’t work that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
You can’t just make some shit up or add up wins. It just doesn’t work that way.

Dang. You just destroyed my whole wargaming philosophy cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
hammurabi70 wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Monty would be a problematic choice with his less than stellar series of operations during 1944.

I'm not a fan of Patton.

Lastly, my point was that Wellington would be a contender which means there are others as well.

Hope this clarifies.

Btw, Happy Xmas to you and the rest of the Epsom crew. Hope you have a good one.

Apples and oranges, in a sense. For example, who should get the credit/blame for Market Garden, Montgomery (his staff, actually) or Horrocks (XXX Corps commander)? The Napoleonic Wars were probably the last time when a general could stand on a hill and oversee an entire battle. Which General "won" the Battle of the Bulge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Cracky wrote:

Nor does losing battles lose wars.

Absolutely. Frederick the Great knew how to win battles, but also how to lose them to win the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Ashwin
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you mean lose them and still win the war?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Gerneral Winter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
SeriousCat wrote:

Absolutely. Frederick the Great knew how to win battles, but also how to lose them to win the war.

Survive until the enemy monarch with the largest army dies to be replaced by a relative who's a fan of yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
SeriousCat wrote:

Survive until the enemy monarch with the largest army dies to be replaced by a relative who's a fan of yours.

A classic delaying action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.