Johannes Lindrupsen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

I hope you all are doing amazing, and that life is treating you well. I also hope that you've had a chance to play some of the games that arrived in our hobby this year.

I have played around 100 of the games that came out, but I know there are hidden gems here and there that I would want to try in 2018.

Because of that, and also because I am super curious and like to talk about board games, I want to know: What was your favorite game of the year?

I actually made a top 25 of the year list, and the top 10 got made into a video, if you'd like to check it out!

I'm really looking forward to hear your answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far magic maze. But I've only played two from this year.

Spirit island has been sitting on my coffee table for three days but everyone keeps avoiding me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

An Infamous Traffic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

And for me, it's a different Hollandspiele title

Supply Lines of the American Revolution: The Northern Theater, 1775-1777
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm looking hard at that one. Runs long though if the box is right.

Hollandspiele is on a tear at the moment. Some really innovative stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anachrony is my favorite of 2017, but it wouldn't be in my top 25.

I am a big fan of WP games and this has an interesting trust on where they can go, etc. Plus I like asymmetrical games.

Nothing in 2017 is 'breakout' to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dutch East Indies, One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows, and Fog of Love haven't hit the table yet so I don't know where they stand.

I have gotten a lot of plays in on Lovecraft Letter, and I really like Lazer Ryderz.

But an the end of the day I think I will choose one of the two space game expansions (even though they are not technically a new game) and go with Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star narrowly edging out Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Far and away, The 7th Continent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
John Company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars

Might be Mark Herman's best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulip Bubble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time of Crisis: The Roman Empire in Turmoil, 235-284 AD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdomino! A bit too simple for a hobbyist boardgamer, but then I can play Queendomino if in the right mood.
Quite the opposite of
Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Two games on my Christmas wishlist - we'll see if I get either.

However, since I didn't play those and since I didn't get into the playtest for John Company so I won't get it until it ships in 2018, I'm going to go with...

Top Game of 2017

Leaving Earth: Stations - Yes, an expansion is my top game of the year because it is a game changer. With Stations, you get all new mission victory point cards to use, you get reusable rockets, supplies get broken into 4 types (food, parts, medicine, and science experiments), new location cards, a new mechanism to explore "features" (each location will have a number of features and a mini deck of features to draw), rovers, habitats (space and ground), modules, and scientific astronauts to hire. I mean wow do you get a lot in this small box!

The Game Take Top Spot In The Next 10 Days

Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain - I'm a sucker for the COIN series, and this is a COIN game like no other. It is a COIN wargame where you have the Britons facing growing chaos and decay, where 3 factions have not only a Battle command but a second command that lets them move and start a battle, and where combat is a complex multi-step process of conducting a field battle followed by possibly assaulting one and then maybe another stronghold (or engaging in a long siege). I can't wait to actually play this one, even though I was sad that there were no embossed irregular pieces (I would have used them as raiders to show when they were carrying plunder to reduce board clutter... oh well). Looking foward to playing this at least twice before the year is out.

Honorable Mentions and "In the Top" Games

High Frontier 3rd Edition (Not top because too similar to previous edition and thus not really a "new" game.) - finally shipped in this year, but not so drastically different from 2nd edition to really be considered a new game. Well worth $200 for the used market as it contains a lot of stuff... but it was a total bargain for the $70 kickstarter and $100 retail price (2E with all the same stuff costs somewhere around $120 to $150 new when you order the poster maps you would need, and this game uses two 2' x 3' mountain map boards that can become a giant 3' x 4' non-Interstellar game board).

Arquebus: Men of Iron IV (Not top because unplayed.) - Fourth in a series I enjoy but haven't had much time to play, can't wait to get to it but I have other things to get to (like Pendragon).

Battles of the American Revolution Tri-Pack (Not top because unplayed.) - Wanted this one ever since COIN's Liberty or Death made me interested in the conflict. Its going to have to wait, however, because I'm going through Men of Iron and The Great Battles of History series first.

This War of Mine (Not top because it isn't really a game in my eyes.) - A wonderful experience, and while technically a game it is not one I play as a game. It is a simulator of emotions - confusion, hopelessness, powerlessnes - that I suspect someone in a modern siege would undergo.

Deadline (Not top because I like really heavy, long games; its fun, but too like and suffers the same issues as Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.) - 12 Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective styled question-and-answer-based-on-clues cases to solve, but instead of adventure book style you "earn" clues by succeeding at a mini-game of cards that uses the same silence and dropping out as in The Grizzled (but is about building a tableau of symbols rather than getting to many symbols). It suffers the same issues as SHCD: cases have some odd leaps of logic, sometimes they have insufficient clues, and the scoring system is wonky given the amount of information you have to solve the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lisboa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice video. I remember finding your podcast when I was looking for Essen preview stuff, and then I listened to the top 50 as well. It's nice to put faces to the voices.

Anyway, at this point my favorite game of 2017 is either Lisboa or Lignum (second edition) (although arguably the latter doesn't change enough to warrant being called a new game (though it has its own entry)). But I haven't played anything from Essen yet, so who knows (though, it seems like it would be tough to top Lisboa, even though I still prefer both Kanban and CO_2 to it). Of the Essen crop I think I'm most looking forward to Heaven & Ale at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mh.
Probably Aeon's End: War Eternal, although I don't like it as much as Aeon's End.
7th Continent is fine but not exceptional, KD:M is disappointing, and the rest is fine but not impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik
Germany
Garching bei München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:

Yes, seconded. Already in my Top 3 of all time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1812 & 1775 by ACADEMY GAMES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fuller
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Father, Husband, Project Manager, Fantasy Football Commissioner, Tabletop Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Too Many Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clans of Caledonia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethnos-we have played it a lot this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.