Hide
3 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: What could I have done differently rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ka Ng
msg tools
Not pretending to be an expert, I am very new to the game.
Just had one game on steam, me as us headlined Europe scoring card and opponent headlined Destalin, placing 2 op in India, 2 in Pakistan. my hand was Us Japan pack, a 3 op card and the rest were 1 or 2 op, opponent made a weak coup in Iran which left him 0-1, I used the Japan card to coup Pakistan the roll went very badly and Failed. USSR then used Vietnam Revolt to go into Thailand, fearing USSR using a 4op card to take Korea, I had no choice but to used 3 op card to put one influence in South Korea, one in Malaysia and one in Costa rice just to maintain access to Central America in case USSR couped panama. But The USSR burnt another 4 op red purge, placing 3 in Thailand, and one in India. As two 4op cards were gone, the most feasible way for the USSR to gain South Korea was through Korean War, so I shored up Taiwan with 2op. Since Japan pack was discarded, USSR played China card and gained control over japan immediately, all I left were 1 op cards so I just put it into Taiwan bringing it under my control then USSR triggered Korean War and won, gaining him 2vp and South Korea. So by end of turn USSR grasped all BG in Asia and all I got left were 1 op cards which didn’t allow me to break control, Turn 2 USSR headlined Asia scoring card getting 12 vp, plus the two he got in Korean War. I tried to contest ME and Asia with only minimal success, USSR won Arab Israel war, he also used info paki war on India and somehow won, netting another 4vp. Turn 3 He headlined Asia scoring again and I lost the game. Was there anything I could have done better? Or did I actually lost the game already right at the beginning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Lau
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no expert either but it is better play Soviet as a beginner. It is easier to play in early war but harder in late war.

* I seldom headline Europe or Asia scoring card as US. It is dangerous.
* In De-Stalin, where did the 4ops come from? This may give you hint on what your oppo is up to.
* I will never put IP in Korea before Korean War is resolved. Rather gain Japan by Ops to modify the die roll of KW.
* Use a 4 or 5 to coup in Pakistan is a right move. But a safer move is to gain Malaysia/Philippines/Indonesia and then move to Thailand later.
* You can easily gain presence in Asia by controlling just one country, Australia.
* Once you know Asia is his target, control as many small countries as he controls that many BG countries to deny him control.
* Japan is connected to US and worth one more VP for him.
* Save that 3op card for Blockade.
* Do not care about Central America in early war. Give him Cuba for later CIA auto-win.

Hope this help. Maybe in one week later you will come up with an opposite conclusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again not an expert, but to expand on the earlier mentioned suggestions of not headline Europe scoring. Had you not headlined Europe scoring you could have started prodding in Europe and could potentially scored points later in the round which would have kept USSR from the early win. Even if you don't have the scoring card, you can always feint it, but discarding it early told Russia they didn't have to care about Europe which allowed them to focus on Asia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.