Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played TM solo today for the first time completing the goals on the 13th generation. I've had the game since its release and have played many games multiplayer, but I have to say it was one of the most boring games to play solo.

I found the decisions quite straightforward - ditch the superfluous cards in favour of the cards that boost M € (to begin with), Energy, Water or Plant Production.

I had some very unlucky draws at the beginning of the game - my plant production was 0 for the first half of the game - but I found I was very easily able to use the generic actions to quite easily and comfortably reach all three goals.

I didn't bother counting my score as I had no reference to what was "good" or not, I simply had no desire or incentive to do so.

Have any of you folk experienced a similarly mediocre solitaire game, or am I simply in the minority here?

For the record, I do enjoy the odd game of Robinson Crusoe and Ghost Stories solo, but I'm not a big solo gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the solo play, though I could see how you'd be disappointed if completing the terraforming were all you cared about. A big part of the fun for me is in the tension of possibly failing to terraform by aiming for a high score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the TM solo experience were just a simple win/lose result, then yes, the game would get boring real fast. Given your familiarity with the game and the cards, I would guess you can win 85%+ of the solo games. You don't necessarily have to know what a "good" score is, you count your score so that you can try to improve on it and see if you are getting better. It's partially about bettering your own scores, but also, there are over a years worth of monthly high score threads where you can see what is considered "good" scores.

I think what TM does really well solo is the balance between winning and scoring well. Most solo games that rely on a score to determine how well you do are simply optimization puzzles, the more efficient you are, the higher you will score. As you have seen in your first game of TM, it's not about just terraforming super efficiently, it's a balancing act between scoring and terraforming, and requires taking significant risks right from the start of the game, and makes for many more interesting decisions compared to just playing efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameplayerOfTitan wrote:
Have any of you folk experienced a similarly mediocre solitaire game, or am I simply in the minority here?

I'm a big solo gamer, but I tend to solo adventure games and tend to play my euro's multiplayer, so can't really comment. But I will say Terraforming Mars was just ranked the #3 game on the top 100 solo games this year, so I think you might be in the minority.

Item for Geeklist "2017 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games (100-1) +(101-200) Bonus"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, but the solo experience felt flat to me too. I just don't like the "get a higher score" version of solo gaming. However, when the digital version releases next year, I suspect I'll have a resurgence of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Suszek
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
The goal of solo game is making highest possible score. Successful terraformation is just a condition that allows you final scoring. That's a huge difference cause technically it is possible to make a terraformation without placing any tiles on Mars. However areas is what usually nets you most points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I like the game but solo does become a little bit tedious towards the end when your engine is running and you simply get out all projects you lay your hands on and cover the surface with cIties and forests. It is very much about scoring as high as possible, and goes a little bit sour if you play it solo too even in quick succession
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
GameplayerOfTitan wrote:

I'm a big solo gamer, but I tend to solo adventure games and tend to play my euro's multiplayer, so can't really comment. But I will say Terraforming Mars was just ranked the #3 game on the top 100 solo games this year, so I think you might be in the minority.

Item for Geeklist "2017 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games (100-1) +(101-200) Bonus"

I hardly play Eurogames. But in this period of Christmas I mostly make an exception by playing with the family.

That being said: I like playing Terraforming Mars in solo mode anytime.

And indeed the game is very challenging if you want to break your scores.

So the OP's opinion is not in accordance with most other solo players, but that is not wrong either. Everyone 's opinion counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Queller Bot for War of the Ring
badge
Nothing kills a solo session like a long setup time
mbmbmbmbmb
Gr3yDeath wrote:
The goal of solo game is making highest possible score. Successful terraformation is just a condition that allows you final scoring. That's a huge difference cause technically it is possible to make a terraformation without placing any tiles on Mars. However areas is what usually nets you most points.

Don't you need to place all nine ocean tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quitch wrote:
Gr3yDeath wrote:

Don't you need to place all nine ocean tiles?

Correct. I believe the poster was referring to city and greeneries which typically score quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Moon
Australia
Glenside
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple of solos this week whilst on holidays. Staying at our beach house, so no gaming group. Only way to get my fix is solos. I've played a few RPGs this week - fun. But Euro solo variants I mostly find tedious and dry - TFM included. That said, it was a good way to familiarise myself with some more cards and of course take my own time.
Beating a game system is one thing, but replaying to just better your own score? It's like Bart Simpson licking as many stamps as possible in a minute then trying to beat his score at skinner's request. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.