Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hello, denizens of Wargames!

I'm considering breaking into the weird, wild world of wargaming. For a few reasons, I want a solitaire game. I'd really like one that plays fluidly and doesn't occupy a lot of table space.

What follows is a list of games that fit my criteria for a solo game about operating a "thing," as opposed to managing a battle or a war. I think it's a matter of scope and intimacy.

Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45 Here, I like the idea of running a submarine. There's something really appealing to me about managing the finer points of a self-contained unit. I expect this would be the series I'd go for, but I don't know which of the games in the series is the best or easiest to recommend. Help appreciated.

Thunderbolt Apache Leader From what I know, I like the mission-management aspects of the game, as well as the scope of the game. I list this also because I've heard it's a great solitaire game, as opposed to a fine-simulation. Hornet Leader also appeals.

B-17: Queen of the Skies At a glance, this looks like something I'd be interested in. Because it's old and hard to find, I'm not considering this one. It's here for the sake of reiteration.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ad2017 wrote:

B-17: Queen of the Skies At a glance, this looks like something I'd be interested in. Because it's old and hard to find, I'm not considering this one. It's here for the sake of reiteration.

Check out Target for Today. Very similar to QotS from what I hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gamien wrote:

Ooooo, ahhhhh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamien wrote:
ad2017 wrote:

In addition to Target for Today, check out B-17 Flying Fortress Leader and B-17 Bomber Squadron: A Solitaire Game of the WWII Daylight Bombing Campaign over Europe.. Of these three, Target for Today is most like B-17: Queen of the Skies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
B-17 Flying Fortress Leader does look good. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I found Silent Victory (Europe is the only one I tried) a little
less mind-numbingly dull than B-17. You still don't get to make
many real choices though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmb
There's a number of those "Leader" type games from DVG, that have a "control one thing" aspect.

Also see Patton's Best if you can find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Hmm. Not many choices? I'm interested in making decisions -- what about these titles lacks choices? Roll dice, consult tables, things happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it but have preordered the 3rd reprint on the GMT P500. This game seems to have been the biggest success in your category in the last couple of years:

The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about starting with something like D-Day Dice [2nd Ed]. You can still make a late pledge on Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wordforgegames/d-day-di...

You manage a small number of Allied soldiers, it's relatively light, but full of action and decisions, and is a good intro to the broader genre.

I love Silent Victory, but I recommend staying away from it as it's not very 'introductory' and is more strategic level planning with minimal 'action'.

Thunderbolt Apache Leader is awesome, highly recommended.

You might also want to check out Enemy Coast Ahead: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/142889/enemy-coast-ahead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderbolt Apache Leader is good, but you are operating multiple aircraft of different types, as well as each pilot. Might be a bit outside the OP's quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian hunt
United States
red rock
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DVG does a lot of solo games and remain in print or are somewhat easily attainable for the most part...price tags can be a bit hefty at times but you can usually trade or buy someone else's copy relatively cheap.

Silent victory and b17 can be a bit hard/expensive to find you can also try ambush; fairly easy and cheap for the main game.

GMT has the hunters/the hunted on p500 due to come out later 2018 you can jump on those and should be similar to silent victory.

Decision games has the dday series

Enemy coast ahead: Doolittle raid is relatively new and if you want a beast of a game there is always fields of fire.

Coin games are soloable due to bots...but not really my thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad2017 wrote:

What follows is a list of games that fit my criteria for a solo game about operating a "thing," as opposed to managing a battle or a war. I think it's a matter of scope and intimacy.

At first glance it may not seem to fit your criteria, but give Fields of Fire some consideration.

The 'thing' you operate is an infantry company, which has a lot of components (infantry, leaders, radios, signal flares, helicopters, anti-tank sections, telephones, machine guns...).

People lament the rules, and it's not trivial to learn - there is a barrier to entry. But it isn't anywhere near as difficult as some pretend. I watched a couple of playthrough videos and picked it up pretty easily.

What you get in return is a really fine, replayable campaign game of organisation and leadership, brilliant victories and painful losses. You're not fighting 'battles' per se - you're some guys fighting your own particular war as part of something far larger around you. And the fact you level up different parts of your company rpg-style (and lose them again to casualties) gives your company a unique persona that develops with their exploits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaochou wrote:
People lament the rules, and it's not trivial to learn - there is a barrier to entry. But it isn't anywhere near as difficult as some pretend.

In my opinion Fields of Fire is incredibly difficult. It is one of the rare cases where I have had to give up learning a game.

This game is not for a newcomer in wargaming in my opinion. I have been playing wargames for almost 5 years and I get completely thrown off by the military jargon used in the rules.

Edit: A slight rephrase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe R

Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
TAL is certainly an excellent game. Kind of pricey, but the box is chock full of goodies and the goodies are high quality goodies. Interesting conundrums (conundra?) to ponder as well.

Since you are just starting out, you might want to give a gander at some of the States of Siege games. These too are solo games and not all of them involve managing a battle or a war. (Though, to be clear, I am not entirely clear what you mean by that phrase -- almost all wargames involve managing either a battle or a war after all.)

Case in point is Constantinople, which is a self-published States of Siege game available as a PNP right here on BGG. (If I were better at this, I would post the link here, but I have no idea how to do that. Sorry. But just search on Constantinople and you will get there.) Game comes at a good price, involves little arts and crafts to print up (depending on how fancy you want your components to be) and has only 4 pages of rules. You manage the Byzantine Empire from 330 AD to 1453 AD via 50 year action cards. Yes, there is a military component, but you are actually managing the resources of the empire (dynasty, economy, monuments and the like) while fending off various barbarians.

The SoS engine has its detractors, but this elegant little game seems to me to minimize its weaknesses and gives a decent game in an hour or less with little footprint. One map which is 11 x 17, one letter size display and a place to roll dice. Nice game. Not a detailed simulation of empire, but a nice little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
ad2017 wrote:
calandale wrote:

Hmm. Not many choices? I'm interested in making decisions -- what about these titles lacks choices? Roll dice, consult tables, things happen?

If you want decisions, go with non-solo designs.

But, these are among the worst at this even among solo games.
For B17, you're pretty much just watching things unfold and rolling
dice. The Hunters (sorry - confused it with Silent Death) is a little
better, but there are solo designs which give you an opportunity to at
least optimize more against the situation. I'd suggest States of Siege
if you want a challenge in optimization (although again, the choices
won't be meaningful, because you can calculate them out).

Really can't think of a 'one thing' game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Morss
United States
Sanford
Maine
flag msg tools
Nemo's War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UBOOT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the informative, helpful responses! I haven’t had a chance to look closely at these game suggestions, but it appears that each of them would work (though it may be true that Fields of Fire is beyond the scope of being suitable for entry-to-wargaming).

I’ll look closely later today. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.