Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the threads on this and I just want confirmation on this because despite having played a few times, I believe we've been playing this wrong.

Consider this a crude map with three locations:

1----2----3

Player A is at location 1 and wants to get to location 3. Player B is at location 2, which has a castle. Player A sends armies into location 2 and stops due to the opposing army. Player B retreats into the castle and after a round of siege combat, Player B still has forces in the castle. The same is true after the next siege combat round on Player B's turn.

It is now Player A's turn again. Is Player A now allowed to move their army to location 3, having satisfied the requirements to stop the round before, even though Player B still has an army at location 2?

We had been playing that you could not move through the spot until you took care of the besieged army. You could only move back the way you came, but I now suspect I got that wrong. It seems at the beginning of a new turn, blocks essentially "forget" which way they entered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
"He who runs with aggression, walks without dignity."
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
I've read through the threads on this and I just want confirmation on this because despite having played a few times, I believe we've been playing this wrong.

Consider this a crude map with three locations:

1----2----3

Player A is at location 1 and wants to get to location 3. Player B is at location 2, which has a castle. Player A sends armies into location 2 and stops due to the opposing army. Player B retreats into the castle and after a round of siege combat, Player B still has forces in the castle. The same is true after the next siege combat round on Player B's turn.

It is now Player A's turn again. Is Player A now allowed to move their army to location 3, having satisfied the requirements to stop the round before, even though Player B still has an army at location 2?

We had been playing that you could not move through the spot until you took care of the besieged army. You could only move back the way you came, but I now suspect I got that wrong. It seems at the beginning of a new turn, blocks essentially "forget" which way they entered.

You can move away. See Section 8.9.6 on page 10 in the rules:

Quote:
Blocks that are part of a besieging force may freely move away from the site of the siege during their Movement Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
temujin1206 wrote:
You can move away. See Section 8.9.6 on page 10 in the rules:

Quote:
Blocks that are part of a besieging force may freely move away from the site of the siege during their Movement Phase.

Thanks. Yep, that's what I assumed and it makes sense. Castles are really just speed bumps if you are looking to get elsewhere.

Kind of a simple rules oversight, but this could have a potentially large impact on our game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
"He who runs with aggression, walks without dignity."
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
Kind of a simple rules oversight, but this could have a potentially large impact on our game.

It certainly can, especially for Tokugawa looking for a path to Osaka in the late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.