Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(つ✧ω✧)つ /(◕ᆺ◕)\
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
だから私は、戦い続ける
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rule book, effects from shield is added last after applying attack modifier card.
However, in the example for pierce, the shield is negated by pierce before drawing attack modifier card?
There’s a likelihood then if I were to draw a 2x attach modifier card I am worse off using pierce if the shield value is higher than the pierce value than not using pierce at all...
Or have I misunderstood how it works? Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I follow your question completely but here's how I see it going.

Atk 4
Plus 1 for poison =5
Draw modifier (×2)= 10
Shield 3 = 7
Pierce 1 =8
End result of 8 damage.

Hopefully thats about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Putnam
United States
Lowell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Take the attack strength, then apply the attack modifier you flip from your deck. This is your net attack value.
2. Take the shield value and subtract the pierce value from it (minimum 0). This is the net shield value.
3. Subtract the net shield value from the net attack value. This is how much damage is dealt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(つ✧ω✧)つ /(◕ᆺ◕)\
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
だから私は、戦い続ける
mbmbmbmbmb
the above interpretations seems to me inconsistent with the rulebook (p22) which states "Example: an Attack 3 Pierce 2 ability used on a monster with Shield 3 would ignore two of the monster's Shield points and inflict 2 damage (modified by an attack modifier card)"

so from my understanding, attack modifier is applied after netting off shield with pierce

However, p20 states "next, an attack modifier card is drawn ... and applied... lastly, the defender's defensive bonuses are applied"

so I am confused that it seems Shields are applied after modifier when there is no pierce, but before modifier when there is pierce...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ehui wrote:
the above interpretations seems to me inconsistent with the rulebook (p22) which states "Example: an Attack 3 Pierce 2 ability used on a monster with Shield 3 would ignore two of the monster's Shield points and inflict 2 damage (modified by an attack modifier card)"

so from my understanding, attack modifier is applied after netting off shield with pierce

However, p20 states "next, an attack modifier card is drawn ... and applied... lastly, the defender's defensive bonuses are applied"

so I am confused that it seems Shields are applied after modifier when there is no pierce, but before modifier when there is pierce...

I would guess that the example was just trying to say that the Attack 3 Pierce 2 against a Shield 3 monster is modified by the modifier card at some point (instead of always doing exactly 2 damage), not that it was calculated after the Shield.

So Attack 3 Pierce 2 vs. Shield 3 monster, drawing the 2x modifier would be:

[Atk 3]x2 = 6, then factor in the defense (2 of the 3 Shield points are negated by the Pierce 2, so it effectively becomes a Shield 1), so the final attack does 5 damage.

If it was an Attack 3 Pierce 2 vs. a poisoned Shield 3 monster, drawing the 2x modifier, it would be:
(3+1)x2=8 then factor the pierced Shield: 8-(3-2)=8-1= 7 total damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnx for the clarification Jay. Thats exacrly it. Page 22 is just explaining how shield works and as a side note, a reminder is a added that all atks are modified by a modifier card. Page 20 has the proper order of how dmg is calculated.

Jay's example is spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esther Pettigrew
Canada
flag msg tools
So, what I gather from Jay’s example is that modifiers affect attack strength while pierce attacks shield only?

So if you had an attack 3, pierce 2 against a shield 1 and drew a modifier of 0? Would it be 3 damage? Or would that extra pierce point cause an extra damage or have some other effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T.
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
estherp wrote:
Or would that extra pierce point cause an extra damage or have some other effect?

No, pierce only negates shield, nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.