Subject: Can I play this solo on a plane? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christine Liao
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
How's the foot print of this game? I'm looking for a meaty choose your own adventure game to play on my 10 hour flight. Wondering if this can fit the bill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
some peeps have already discussed this in another thread. although not directly addressing an airplane, it may give you an idea if it's doable:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27633216#27633216

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gingras
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It would work really well but not in the original box. You'd need to fit everything in one of those magazine binders or something similar.

Have a nice flight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Liao
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
I happen to have one of those. I'll bring it. Thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a plane trip, I would do something about the map. Reduce it in size, somehow. Scale it down on a photocopier, or just write down the locations and their numbers on a seperate page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is practical. Portable yes and suitable for a hotel room, but not really good for a plane or long bus ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I saw a vid about this game and the person compared it to "Heart of Ice" by Dave Morris. Maybe that might work better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Liao
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Got the game. Currently at my terminal. Will report back on the experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sable1013 wrote:
Got the game. Currently at my terminal. Will report back on the experience!

Why don't you ask the person sitting next to you if they would like to go on an adventure, then you can have more space for everything?

If they give you a funny look just try and convince them by saying they can be a cat or an orc if they wish.

If that still doesn't work then just read the whole thing out loud, making sure to get into it by putting on unique voices for all the characters, that'll reel them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Liao
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools

Definitely doable. Also, definitely enjoyable! Table space is tight so I was switching papers every so often but it didn't get too tedious.I had the adventure books in hand.

Definitely noticed my neighbor wondering what I was doing. I would have explained it to him and asked him if he wanted to join me but I was on an international flight to Taiwan and he didn't speak any English.

Lastly, thanks Eric for the suggestion on the folder with multiple pockets. I organized and fit everything that was in the box. Then popped folder in my backpack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad it worked out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Unspecified
msg tools
So then a similar question ...

How does this work in the car, on a road trip with a group of people?

Have one person handle the map, another handle the rulebook, etc. (the driver handles driving )?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d think it’s even doable with the box...

I play in an arm chair at night once everyone else is in bed... I use it to kinda hold it all together... I makes sense to me - but it’s worked well for me to play in a tight chair spot akin to what you’d get on a flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
yes. The only hang up is the map and you can just write down the location numbers on the town tracking sheet. Other than that it's not different than just flipping through several magazine sized books that could be stored in the seat pocket in front of you when you aren't using them.

You don't need to look at multiple books at once, and there's no reason to have all the tracking sheets out unless they need to be referenced. I didn't track my entry numbers read because unless you are backtracking it's not really needed. That really cuts down how often you need to reference the individual tracking sheets. You can just pull em each out when you need them and then store them again behind your current book or in the seat pocket.

You could play it on a train, on a plane, in a house with a mouse, in a box with a fox ...

You could carry it all around in the original box, but I think if you are travelling it's more economic (luggage space-wise) to take the materials out and put them in a backpack or suitcase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.