Hide
4 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Fleets with and without the 3 highlighted ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
taylor hensley
msg tools
Can someone help me understand the difference, if there is one. Most fleets have the bottom 3 ships highlighted with a white boarder, but there are a few that don't. What mechanical difference does this white boarder make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a misprint. They should all have borders on the first three ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Knox
msg tools
mbmb
The Klingon Marauder Fleet is a typo. It was supposed to have the white high light for three ships. I assume the Ferengi cards should also have a white band around three ships as well. Mechanically a fleet is still a fleet and gets the special ability as long as it has the three ship minimum.

The Ferengi Franchise Establishment Flotilla is unique in that as it travels it can drop ships off as it travels from system to system and only disbands if it has dropped below 3 ships when it exits warp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally thought that the Klingon Maurauder fleet was an exception to the rule of 3. It made thematic sense that the fleet would die to the last warrior for the glorious expansion of the empire. When the Ferengi came out and all of their fleets were not highlighted by the minimum 3 I figured that something was up. I could see a couple of Ferengi fleets such as the Franchise Establishment fleet not having a minimum since its purpose is to travel and "seed" other systems. However even a Loss Interdiction Fleet would surely have the 3 ship minimum? Any fleet that loses that many ships is a prime example of lost profits. The Ferengi would surely cut their losses and retreat to pinch their latinum pennies.

It would be cool, since we already have the misprints, to have a couple of thematic variations that add flavor to an already great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.