kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
When new games come into many of our homes, other games must leave to make room. Last week's Geek Weekly issue featured a poll that asked how many games respondents had acquired in 2017. My answer to that question was four. Stacked neatly on the floor by my game shelf are a few games I am getting rid of to accommodate these newcomers. Four games, to be exact.

Here I am lovingly plagiarizing Geek Weekly's one-question poll and adding a few follow-up inquiries to answer the question: How prevalent is this games-in, games-out situation for BGG users at large?

Note: Please do not include gifts purchased for others in your count, unless those others live in your home and the game came to be stored there, too.

Poll: TGIF POLL #385: Balancing Acquisitions with Reductions
How many new (to you) games came to live in your home this year?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
1.7% 4
1.7% 4
1.7% 4
3.8% 9
3.8% 9
5+
18.8% 45
10+
32.9% 79
25+
22.5% 54
50+
13.3% 32
Voters 240
How many games (that you owned) ended up leaving your home this year?
31.9% 76
5.5% 13
3.8% 9
7.1% 17
2.1% 5
5+
16.4% 39
10+
19.7% 47
25+
8.8% 21
50+
4.6% 11
Voters 238
Select the sentence-ending that best fits your situation. "One of my goals for 2018 is to..."
acquire more games.
29.4% 68
downsize my collection.
24.2% 56
acquire new games, but get rid of an equivalent number of old games.
30.7% 71
avoid acquiring new games, but hold onto all the games I currently own.
15.6% 36
Voters 231
This poll is now closed.   243 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Mon Jan 1, 2018 6:00 am

Poll
What was the net gain/loss of board games in your home this year?
-50 or more (my home contains 50 fewer games compared to last year)
0.4% 1
-25 or more
3.6% 9
-10 or more
4.0% 10
-5 or more
3.2% 8
0.8% 2
0.8% 2
1.2% 3
1.2% 3
2.4% 6
2.4% 6
2.4% 6
4.0% 10
3.2% 8
5+
26.2% 65
10+
19.8% 49
25+
14.1% 35
50+ (my home contains 50 more games than it did last year)
10.1% 25
Voters 248
This poll is now closed.   248 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Mon Jan 1, 2018 6:00 am

If you enjoy these polls, you can subscribe to the TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far this year I'm at 12 in 10 out, for a net of +2 games. Though I'm fairly confident that I'll be getting one more for Christmas. But that wasn't out of any particular desire to keep my collection size stable, I just finally decided that I had a bunch of games that I didn't want any more so I made a point to sell them. I think this year was somewhat abnormal in that regard, and all of the selling came in like a two week span. Luckily all local so I didn't have to worry about shipping.

I mean, I currently own right around 60 games, this doesn't feel that large at all. If I keep buying more and more new games it certainly might get to a point where I feel I have too many games, but I'm not nearly there yet. Though spending time on BGG sometimes feels like it desensitizes me to this kind of thing. I definitely have the impression that my ~60 game collection is minuscule compared to most people's. And the fact that there's already one person whose collection increased by almost as many games as I own total is pretty incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added probably 20, sold off/gave away maybe... 2?

As much as it'd feel satisfying to sell/trade on a 1-for-1 at this point, realistically I know my willpower isn't that strong. So I'll shoot more for "hope to sell/trade 1 for every 2 I buy" or something along those lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at net -25 or more. Moving to another continent has that effect. Of the 20+ games that have entered the house since, two (Karuba and What's Up) we purchased new. The rest were thrifted or gifted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

I set a limit of 400 games about five years ago, and spent about three years shedding over 200 games to get there, and am now maintaining our collection at that level with a one-in one-out policy. It's the number of games that can comfortably fit on the shelving, and also a number that means most games come out every year, and almost every game comes out every two years (the ones that don't are generally being kept for some other reason, such as being old family games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
We went to Essen this year for the first time since 2009, so we hit the 50+ additional games meeple

I think that question 3 needs a sort of not planning to increase or decrease option. I am certainly not planning an increase or a culling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the only year where I lost more games than gained.

When my wife and I separated, she asked if some games could go with her and I had no problem with that. Games should be played!

That said, I love seeing my shelves bulging with games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am somewhat of a pack rat, in as that I never sold any of my games.
I have been known to gift a few to friends, but not too much of that to be honest.

My two cents worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

My name is Jimmy.

I'm a hoarder.

My impulse is to acquire games that I think I would like to play. My collection is a little beyond the capacity of the storage area I use for games, and I have many games that will see very little or no table time with me. It is my desire to divest myself of many of these games and thin my collection to mostly games that I get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
50+ for me. I got into solo wargaming this year having mostly held back on wargames for a few years, as my wife doesn't like them.

This year I got the core of the wargames collection of my dreams.

I have the wargames planned out fully, I have a max count per category (Ancients, WW2, Air Warfare, etc.) and most slots are full now but it will take another two years or so waiting for reprints or new titles.

Then the plan is, one in, out from from the same category. My plans for 2018 for nonwargames are, don't look around much as I have plenty I want to play already, but if I really want something, it's one in, one out, and the game going out must have been played at least three times, so that I gave the game a reasonable shot and got my money's worth out of it!

For me there is no guilt about this stuff. Trying to get the games I love played is the kind of problem I am happy to have and I feel very fortunate to have lots of great games to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kat thanks for keeping the dream alive!

To answer the question.

I don't really know how many new games I got this year. A lot is the answer. I am always on the look out for new games. To answer the question about the goal for 2018: I picked gain some and lose an equal number.

Really though my answer is: Get rid of some of the games I don't plan on playing, but most likely acquire more than that in return.

I love playing games, I love learning how to play new games and I like collecting games, I like making friends through gaming and I like talking about games on BGG.

I think Skutch did a poll about guilt in not playing games recently. This seems to go with the topic. I don't feel guilty about having a game and not playing it. I want to play it, but I don't lose sleep over it. I figure eventually it will get played and if not oh well.

Boardgames are my hobby and it isn't supposed to be a money making or even money efficient thing. I do it because I enjoy it, it is my favorite thing to do with friends and if I "lose" money doing it that is fine. It is still a good deal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These kind of questions confuse me, because I often "acquire" games without any material change to my possessions. Just this month, I added three games to my cataloged collection and logged plays against them: Atomic Chess (played with a standard chess set), Neutron and King's Valley (both played--in my case--with Looney Pyramids on a Volcano board).

Such additions involve none of the customary disadvantages of a growing collection. If I stop playing these games, have I "reduced" my collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see the TGIF Poll is back. I thought we had gone to a 6-day week for a while there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Shadows of Kilforth KS. Just back it already! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
+28 for me. I parted with many games last year prior to moving from Ohio to Oregon. Still brought quite a few with me, of course. whistle

My goal for 2018 is to access more of my games: long story. Then I plan to give some away, donate some, maybe sell a few.

So great to see the return of TGIF!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
I think that question 3 needs a sort of not planning to increase or decrease option. I am certainly not planning an increase or a culling.

Question three offered two options that amounted to neither increasing nor decreasing your collection:

tobacco acquire new games, but get rid of an equivalent number of old games.

indigo avoid acquiring new games, but hold onto all the games I currently own.

Was there a third net-zero option that would have fit better for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
These kind of questions confuse me, because I often "acquire" games without any material change to my possessions. Just this month, I added three games to my cataloged collection and logged plays against them: Atomic Chess (played with a standard chess set), Neutron and King's Valley (both played--in my case--with Looney Pyramids on a Volcano board).

Such additions involve none of the customary disadvantages of a growing collection. If I stop playing these games, have I "reduced" my collection?

Yes, I thought about that, too. My opinion is that if you added an abstract strategy game to your BGG listed collection this year that is non-physical in nature (that is, you already had all the components and now you just bring them all out from their various boxes each time you want to play new-homemade-abstract-game-X), then you haven't "acquired" anything that wasn't already in your house. That game is more of an idea that is weightless and massless. If, on the other hand, you make that same abstract game from pieces you already have but then you get a box to contain the pieces, label it with the new game's name, and keep that box on the shelf where there was none before, you have "acquired" the game in that it's now taking up more space in your house.

This year I marked as "owned" the games Pixel and Pikemen, but as I'm playing them both with Looney Pyramids on playing boards I already had, I didn't count them in this poll among games I had acquired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends was looking to acquire Hey! That's My Fish for his birthday, I happened to have a copy that I only played at his place. One game out of my collection.
That same friend and his wife knew how much I like Agricola and got me a copy for Christmas. One game into my collection.

Collection count is unchanged this year but relative value is greatly increased.

(Yes, I'm well aware of how good my friends are.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago, I set a limit of 300 games in my collection.

I failed.

A few years ago, a friend of mine told me my goal should be 1200 games by the end of the year (I was at 1055).

It was a success.

This past year I told myself I was going to buy less and pare down.

It was sort of successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

Question three offered two options that amounted to neither increasing nor decreasing your collection:

Yes, since I am definitely not planning to cull. Not overly planning to increase, but I am sure we will increase slightly, but it is not a goal. Maybe that means I should have picked the first, but it is not a goal for 2018, where as since we went to Essen it was a goal for 2017 whistle

None of them felt right for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
+19 games purchased
+ 2 games received as gifts
- 6 games sold
- 1 game traded
____
+14 games net*

*Lots of questionable accounting involved. Part of which is +18 children's games. I count these as part of a separate collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
kataclysm wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

Yes, since I am definitely not planning to cull. Not overly planning to increase, but I am sure we will increase slightly, but it is not a goal. Maybe that means I should have picked the first, but it is not a goal for 2018, where as since we went to Essen it was a goal for 2017 whistle

None of them felt right for me.

It appears you take issue more with the word "goal" than with the choices that were available. I briefly considered adding an "I haven't really thought about it/I have no specific goal" option, but I worried that too many people would use that to avoid hard thinking about the coming year. Next year I may run the same poll but offer "In 2019 I expect to..." so as to avoid language that feels too laden with intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah the life of a poll maker. Destined to always have one person tell you how your poll could have been better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.