Popular Tags: [View All]
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
1. When playing a relatively complex game, how do you handle exceptional situations? (this was triggered by the Gloomhaven rules poll, but applies to any game with a thick rulebook)
I study the rulebook extensively so I know every little rule and exception by head
I learn the vast majority of the rules, but if a rare situation pops up during a game, I search through the rulebook or online sources at that time to find out how to treat that specific situation, and I don’t care how long that takes, I want to get it right
I learn the vast majority of the rules, but if a rare situation pops up during a game, I do a quick check in the rules or online, but if I can’t find the answers quickly, we just go with what makes most sense to the group
I learn the vast majority of the rules, but if a rare situation pops up during a game, I don’t want to interrupt the flow of the game, so we just go with what makes most sense to the group
I only learn the rough idea of the rules, and look up anything during the game when needed
I only learn the rough idea of the rules, and for anything else that comes up during the game we just go with what makes most sense to the group
2. If you chose to handle the situation in the way that made most sense to the group, do you still check the rules afterwards?
Yes, I don’t want to interrupt the flow of the game, but I do wonder if we got it right, and I want to make sure we get it right if that situation ever comes up again
Only if I think there is a big chance that we will run into that situation again; I don’t care that much whether we played it the right way, but I do want to try to play it right the next time
Only if there was some argument in the group, I look it up to prevent arguments re-occurring in a future game
No, I don’t care about getting every little rule exactly right, the situation may never come up again and having fun is much more important to me than getting every little rule right
      588 answers
Poll created by Olafslomp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
You forgot (at least) one option:

"I don't read the rules before playing a game; we always just go with what makes most sense to the group from the get-go."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
You forgot (at least) one option:

"I don't read the rules before playing a game; we always just go with what makes most sense to the group from the get-go."

I thought those people weren’t allowed on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can't find the rule quickly I house rule it. I'll look it up later out of curiosity but then it's case by case as to what happens.... It might keep the house rule, I might not.

To clarify: by quickly, I mean, ive looked through the rulebook relatively thoroughly (and usually I have decent knowledge of it). If i have to ask the internet mid game to get an answer because I have not been able to work it out from the rules - I'm not going to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at game nights there are the usual popular games which I let others teach and run. However, every now and then I want to get something unusual I really want play to the table. My attitude is that if people are going to give up their game time to play my off-beat game when they could be playing their favorites or the hotness, then it's basic courtesy that I know the rules back to front.

Food for thought:

Get gud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
If I don't know the rules, then I'm not actually playing the game, am I?

I started with rulebooks thicker than my thumb; I can't understand people who can't be bothered reading and learning a mere dozen or two pages of rules, and that's the general worst case scenario - the vast majority of rulebooks for board games have less than a dozen pages, often much less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

I started with rulebooks thicker than my thumb; I can't understand people who can't be bothered reading and learning a mere dozen or two pages of rules, and that's the general worst case scenario - the vast majority of rulebooks for board games have less than a dozen pages, often much less.

Not talking about those. The Gloomhaven rulebook is 50 pages thick, not counting the scenario book. And then still, not talking about the normal rules, but about the odd rare situations.

Example, see
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/234575/item/5839334#i...

Rules quiz on Gloomhaven, 66% got the answer wrong so far.
I am perfectly happy playing it wrong on the very rare occasion where this would come up, especially if the majority of people that are interested in a Gloomhaven rules quiz even got it wrong.

I played Warhammer a lot, I have no problem reading thick rule books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
I can't understand people who can't be bothered reading and learning a mere dozen or two pages of rules, and that's the general worst case scenario - the vast majority of rulebooks for board games have less than a dozen pages, often much less.

Whilst I agree with you, that comment only applies to simple Euros. Most of my games have rulebooks 20-30 pages long, and plenty have 50-100... At that point it's reasonable for someone to know 95% of the rules and the general cases, but not each exception when first playing. After playing a game, it all fits together in your head much better, and a reread gets you the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Olafslomp wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

Not talking about those. The Gloomhaven rulebook is 50 pages thick, not counting the scenario book. And then still, not talking about the normal rules, but about the odd rare situations.

Makes no difference to me - if I don't know the rules, all the rules, then I don't want to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Olafslomp wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

Makes no difference to me - if I don't know the rules, all the rules, then I don't want to play the game.

That’s fine with me. To each his own. (Although I prefer if you study them beforehand if you’d be playing with me, having to wait for ages because somebody insists on checking how to handle a specific detail is not my idea of a fun gaming evening)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
This is on of the reasons I really try to avoid games with a lot of rules exceptions. It’s easier for both of us that way.

I have a couple times looked up something on BGG mid game if my wife insists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We've very often paused a game to check BGG's rules forum, or a FAQ. (Some of which I've made in the BGG wiki!) And very often we find the answer quickly. Yay BGG!

In occasional cases where we don't find an answer easily, we usually quickly discuss and agree how to handle the ambiguity and continue playing. Sometimes it is truly unclear to both of us what the intent is, which is frustrating, so then we hesitantly pick an interpretation and move on.

In those latter cases, I often try to explore further later, and post a rule question thread if I can't find an answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a tad retentive ... when I get a new game I read the rulebook, convert to a shorter cheatsheet, go thru the BGG rules forums and play 1 game solo. That's enough to cover 80-90% of contingencies and for the rest it's rulebook lookups.

Most of the games I get (tabletop or video) are 1+ years past release, so there's been time for "patching", errata and community help on anything vague.

There are exceptions... e.g. Alien Uprising, Lost Valley and SWIA were all beasts to grok even with this process. All the more reason to do this ahead of time so at the table no flow or interpretation problems.

For my home brew projects, all this also helps me ID sources of rules complexity to either avoid or mitigate in my own designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to get the rules right and will check online, but if we can't find it in reasonable time, we are happy to agree what to do. The answer is often found in the game's Rules forum on BGG.

The main thing is to enjoy the game and if we do get a rule wrong, well it's the same for eveyone anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Perry
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

My eyes glaze over after the 3rd paragraph on page 1.

Thank God for Ricky Royal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think it is good if you know, at least, 95% of the rules, and if you don't know how to resolve some specific detail, that is fine by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't answer first question. I learn the rules best I can, if a rules question comes up, I'll look through the rule book and if still not clear we will make a ruling and go on.

But, I won't waste time looking up a rule on-line. Rather keep the flow of the game going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I’m happy to be part of the two-third majority that picked the middle option on the first question, but surprised that the vast majority is looking up the official rule afterwards. (I am one of the three people that opts to only check it to prevent potential future arguments, otherwise I’m completely happy to just go with what seemed logical to us. The official rule will either be in line with what our group considered logical, or it may annoy me if it’s illogical and I may ignore it anyway)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
"Try"? Yes. Succeed?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Olafslomp wrote:
Well, I’m happy to be part of the two-third majority that picked the middle option on the first question, but surprised that the vast majority is looking up the official rule afterwards. (I am one of the three people that opts to only check it to prevent potential future arguments, otherwise I’m completely happy to just go with what seemed logical to us. The official rule will either be in line with what our group considered logical, or it may annoy me if it’s illogical and I may ignore it anyway)

I'm surprised that there are people who don't care about getting the rules right.

Oh my, other people must work differently to me for some reason...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
(I am one of the three people that opts to only check it to prevent potential future arguments, otherwise I’m completely happy to just go with what seemed logical to us. The official rule will either be in line with what our group considered logical, or it may annoy me if it’s illogical and I may ignore it anyway)

But this seems to assume that only one interpretation seems logical!

In my experience, it's often the case that multiple different interpretations all seem plausible and can be justified.

So I'd rather know what was really intended and play the game the way it's intended to be played.

1: It is more likely to be tested and work best as a game.

2: It avoids misunderstanding when playing with other players who are not from your group and who do know the correct/intended interpretation.

3: It lets me give helpful correct responses to rule questions e.g. here at BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I started with AH and SPI in high school in the late 70's. I've looked at the rulebooks for some of those games and I can't imagine taking the time to learn and teach them now. But we had nothing but time back then.

What's with the fetishism, though, about getting every rule exactly right? We're not playing for money, just fun, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guys who dont bother the rules will more likely not going here and not bothering reading this thread and dont care voting on this poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
When a rulebook is, say, 50 pages long you probably aren't expect to memorize it. You keep it handy for reference when you need it. And certain games (in particular MtG) it's realistically impossible to know all the rules and consequences of particular combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
What's with the fetishism, though, about getting every rule exactly right? We're not playing for money, just fun, right?

Getting rules right does not in any way exclude having fun; nor does it entail 'fetishism'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.