Popular Tags: [View All]
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting it in spoiler tags even though the title says "spoiler", just in case...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
To Stage card 024 - Derailed, I first completed 018 - Uncover the Railroad, by killing the last [Star] token on the map.

The instructions for 024 say that [Star] tokens when activated will move towards the Institute Courser. At the end of each round, remove a [Star]
token from the Courser's space. If there are no [Star] tokens in the Courser's space, move it 1 space towards the Railroad instead. (Which is four spaces/rounds from the C.I.T. Ruins)

To Stage 024, I killed off the last [Star] token. And Faction tokens don't respawn like regular enemies. So where would new [Star] tokens come from to advance towards the Courser? Even if you got some on the map, you'd have to get really lucky on activations to get one in front of the Courser with just four rounds before it reaches the Railroad.

Am I missing something here about this?

Like some other card that would dump a bunch of new [Star] tokens?

I was playing Solo btw.

Thanks!
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the card in front of me, but I believe...
The Stage 024 card has two options-- one that allows you to spawn new Star tokens. I don't believe that quest is ever trashed, so you can do it over and over. I believe you have to be in a settlement and pay a lot of caps.

I'm away from home right now, so I can't be certain, but I'd check that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Den Ell

Nebraska
msg tools
mb
Michael was right...This quest ends when one of these 2 things happen:
1] The very instant the Courser arrives at his destination (The Railroad).
2] Somebody spends 8 caps at a settlement to derail his mission.

There are some other cards that spawn Stars, however it would be the chance you take as to whether or not that actually happened. The only way you're going to immediately stop him is to do option 2 above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Denell wrote:
Michael was right...This quest ends when one of these 2 things happen:
1] The very instant the Courser arrives at his destination (The Railroad).
2] Somebody spends 8 caps at a settlement to derail his mission.

There are some other cards that spawn Stars, however it would be the chance you take as to whether or not that actually happened. The only way you're going to immediately stop him is to do option 2 above.

I don't think this is correct. The quest does not end when the second option occurs. The game is *likely* to end when option 1 occurs (as the faction power marker will advance so far that the game will end due to faction power anyway), but the quest certainly does not end once option 2 occurs. The players can do it multiple times to spawn multiple markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK thanks, folks! So it does sound like there IS more to it than I saw, which is good. Thanks for the responses.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Drew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just hit this card while playing my first game, also solo, and it seems

very likely to be an almost auto lose scenario. I had completed two other quests that moved the RR one space each just to get to card 24, so that's one away from game over really quickly. Is this just a thing where you basically have to avoid dealing with the factions as much as possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Sällberg
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mb
Here is a suggestion how to slightly house rule this to avoid auto loose.

According to Fallout loré a Courser is somekind of elite Synt. I suggest that it you threat the Courser quest marker like a Synt, using the stats on the Commonwealth scenario sheet. Allowing it to be hunted down before it reaches the Railroad. Giving the players a chance to stop the Intitute from winning the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neosmash wrote:
Here is a suggestion how to slightly house rule this to avoid auto lose.

That won't work. If the courser is eliminated, it will become impossible for the Institute to actually ever win (barring a timed victory due to the Agenda deck running out multiple times) as no new quest cards are Staged.

This card does make it exceedingly hard for the Railroad to win, however, this card is only staged after three quests are completed in favor of the Institute with only one or zero completions in favor of the Railroad. So, in effect, this card represents a final, desperate, chance at victory for the Railroad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nico_RJ wrote:
very likely to be an almost auto lose scenario. I had completed two other quests that moved the RR one space each just to get to card 24, so that's one away from game over really quickly. Is this just a thing where you basically have to avoid dealing with the factions as much as possible?

I mapped out the quests for the Commonwealth, and I don't think it's possible to get to card 24 if you had two quest victories for the Railroad.

Can you go through the cards again to see if you accidentally staged an incorrect card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiago correa
Brazil
flag msg tools
i see this here in another question

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27745050#27745050

maybe help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.