15 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is there even a point to storing resources? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it seems that absolutely everything written anywhere on this game says you lose your stored resources.
Is there even a point in storing them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, of course if you can craft everything you want, it's not that useful.

However:
- stuff like beacon shield requires two irons, it is entirely possible you don't have what is required in only one year.
- stuff from some expansions requires using resources from multiple monsters. It is reasonable to think that you will need multiple hunts to get everything.
- resources availability is limited by the number of resource cards in the deck. So, if you have no more cards of a resource, you cannot gain it anymore. Effects that make you archive in storage are preferable to the ones that let you gain the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Church
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:

- resources availability is limited by the number of resource cards in the deck. So, if you have no more cards of a resource, you cannot gain it anymore. Effects that make you archive in storage are preferable to the ones that let you gain the card.

...to be clear, you archive everything just before the end of the settlement phase (step 10), after which you can draw the same resources over again (e.g., you can have 2 skulls in storage even though there is only one skull in the basic resources deck).

I've made the lazy mistake of keeping my resource cards in a pile in the box between lantern years and then forgetting to fully archive, record, and redraw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Well, of course if you can craft everything you want, it's not that useful.

However:
- stuff like beacon shield requires two irons, it is entirely possible you don't have what is required in only one year.
- stuff from some expansions requires using resources from multiple monsters. It is reasonable to think that you will need multiple hunts to get everything.

Sure, sure, but since folks storm through your resources and you get starved and all on a regular basis, you still lose your stuff :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I never lose stuff to starvation or Monsters. It's always the settlement events with the "pay your decent resources to give one survivor an utterly pointless fighting art, or pay no resources and everyone dies" type of thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C SS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you are having some really bad luck. Last campaign i got two "lose all resources" events, and both were scheduled things that i could prepare for. I don't know if there is any random one that does it too.

Most events i have seen don't empty your storage completely, unless you had very few resources to begin with, so you can keep the valuable stuff and lose some acanthus or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played two campaigns, and we have yet to tackle a L3 monster (first campaign we were never ready, and second campaign ended abruptly and early), but we've never faced starvation. We've also never hit an event or loss condition that forced us to "lose all resources."

If it's a common occurrence, that's news to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
Sweden
flag msg tools
Stop Poking!
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside of playing with the Gorm expansion and that one Principle event losing all your resources is relatively rare. So yeah, we absolutely store up from one year to the next if there's no direct benefit from spending right now. Especially when you're looking at late game stuff that involves a LOT of Iron and Leather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles K

Ohio
msg tools
Nope I don't see a point myself. /stares at green knight armor expansion.

Anger intensifies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Strike
United Kingdom
Corsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sounds like incredibly bad luck.

I'm on lantern year 14, I had a MASSIVE stock of resources in ly12 couldnt build anything I wanted due to no hide draws. Then lost them all again in my 13 after risking a level 2lion(first game, no dash of much ranged) and I had a huge stock of stuff.

It's not that common in my mind to lose resources, it's annoying, and definitely a threat. Best to build what you can, especially approaching some timeline events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
First campaign, so I didn't know there are events that make you lose so many resources. We went from 42 to 21 lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Welter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are a few things that wipe out your resources, and at least one where you lose half your resources. I lost 27 resources to that one. I was trying to get the innovation (I think scrap smelting?) that lets you build the location that builds the lantern armor, but I kept not getting it. Had a pretty good hunt against an antelope, so brought home some extra resources from criticals and some fresh acanthus, plus a ton of stuff in storage, and lost half of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mild spoilers. Shouldn't be news to anyone who has played at least 10 lantern years.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Losing to the Butcher makes you lose all your resources, but that one comes up on the timeline, so you can just spend as many resources as possible before fighing it. Just to be on the safe side.

Then there is that timeline event (that heat thing) that makes you lose half your resources if you roll the specific result.

We haven't encountered anything else yet.

We try to keep the amount of resources in storage low, but there are usually 5 - 10 resources stored while we try to get the rest for what we want to craft. Especially later int he game you just have to safe up to get the right combination for some more expensive items. (Hello Blood Sheath + Rainbow Katana.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
I like having spare acanthus, not dried out, and vermin resources I. Settlement storage.

They act as a buff to lose half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.