Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rocks and other things rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sean lukie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocks seem op. So any unit on one (a unit with climb or fly) gets +1 to range and offense? Now let's say I have a person up on a rock and the other team has no flight or range attacks, the person on the rock can't be hit correct? Also, nothing blocks Los if you are on a rock correct?

Is a monster with move of 1 able to go across a rift? Does it cost 2 to enter and 1 to leave across the skulls?

Every unit can retaliate with an activation card correct?

Leader seems extremely hard to make use of since at the end of your turn you have to be in an area of troops. Has anyone been able to make consistent use of it?

Area boundries marked with a triangle are considered 'highs'. However, you do not need climb or flight to move across these either direction correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
ellindar wrote:
Is a monster with move of 1 able to go across a rift? Does it cost 2 to enter and 1 to leave across the skulls?

AFAIK, it's yes to the first question, and no to the second. The English rules contain the extra text about "..the rift area costs 2...". This isn't there in the French rules. We are playing it that it costs 2 to cross the rift, and so a monster with base movement 1 can run across.

ellindar wrote:

Leader seems extremely hard to make use of since at the end of your turn you have to be in an area of troops. Has anyone been able to make consistent use of it?

It's a good way to get more use out of your troops and to get through your deck without wasting Art of War cards. It's easy to do sometimes - just difficult when you really need it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ellindar wrote:
Rocks seem op. So any unit on one (a unit with climb or fly) gets +1 to range and offense? Now let's say I have a person up on a rock and the other team has no flight or range attacks, the person on the rock can't be hit correct? Also, nothing blocks Los if you are on a rock correct?

I don't think fly unit get the bonus because the unit ignore all terrain effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying units do not get any bonus from rocks since they ignore all terrain. Your other assumptions are correct.

Retaliate let's any unit play it's activation card to make an attack after it has been attacked. Unless it has Initiative, then it will make it's attack after it has been targeted instead. Initiative on attacker cancels Initiative on defender.

Leader is tricky, but when used right can be very powerful.

Highs do not need Climb or flight to move over, but it is not uncommon that it is combined with another impassable boundary. For example Escarpment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ellindar wrote:

Rocks are really powerful, but I dont think it makes things OP. Yes, someone on the rock has a big advantage, but there are other ways to deal with them (ive used Echo for instance to semi lock down a friend’s Paris and Eurytos just by standing next to the rock) and in all the games we've played is just another strategic thing to take into account.

Quote:

Ive heard there is discrepancy between the french and english rulebooks on this. For the english version though as written it makes it sound like you need 2 movents to get in and 1 to get out so only a god/monster with 2 movement may run to get all the way across…

But im curious if this is a mistake since the French version doesn’t have the “2 movement to get in” listed that the English version does.

Quote:

Every unit can retaliate with an activation card correct?

Yes any unit may retaliate, but to a range 0 attack only and by spending a matching activation card (also remember you can spend an art of war card once a turn at ANY TIME to get an activation card if you need it to retaliate =) ).

Quote:

If you gear your army to it, its actually SUPER powerful. Its actually a free activation without an art of war card, and some Leaders talent heroes like Leonidas and Penthesilea have powers that synergize even more with troops. 2 Troops and 2 Leaders could effectively go in one turn…. Basically a 4 unit turn for only 1 Art of War card.

Quote:

Area boundries marked with a triangle are considered 'highs'. However, you do not need climb or flight to move across these either direction correct?

Correct. As the rules have been written, they are high enough to give bonus to attacks towards ppl on low ground, but must be low enough that it doesn’t take a Climb or Flying hero to get up on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Huber
Germany
München
flag msg tools
roboraygun wrote:
2 Troops and 2 Leaders could effectively go in one turn…. Basically a 4 unit turn for only 1 Art of War card.

Are you sure about that? From the way I read it, you can still only activate a max of 2 units per turn, just that with Leader you don't need an AoW card for the second one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djmacbest wrote:
roboraygun wrote:
2 Troops and 2 Leaders could effectively go in one turn…. Basically a 4 unit turn for only 1 Art of War card.

Are you sure about that? From the way I read it, you can still only activate a max of 2 units per turn, just that with Leader you don't need an AoW card for the second one...

Well it's interesting because core rules pg 11 says:
Quote:

Limit of activations
A player may activate a maximum of 2 different units
from their own army in each of their turns.
A unit cannot activate more than once a turn.

But according to pg 4 rules hierarchy, Leader supersedes core rules:
Quote:
During a game, when two rules contradict each
other, the rule with the higher priority takes
precedence.
From highest priority to lowest, the order is:
1) Scenario special rule
2) Power description
3) Talent description
4) Core rules in this book
5) Definitions in this book
6) Game aid
7) Starting guide

But, Leader specifically says on pg 27:
Quote:
This Leader activation counts
towards the maximum number of unit activations
allowed for the turn.

So we take that to mean that Leader does not break the core rule and that you still only get 2 activations. Without that sentence, we would play it that Leader does allow to go beyond 2 activations.

I am willing to consider otherwise if someone can explain it to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was demoed the game by Leo during Spiel '16 I had a similar question. His answer was that you are only allowed two activations per turn. Three with Athenas Power. This was in response to me activating Athena with another two units, the second one being Leonidas which I wanted to use Leader on his Spartans. I was allowed to find their activation card, but not activate them.
I believe this is outlined in the rules, but perhaps not as clear as it could be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
djmacbest wrote:
roboraygun wrote:

Quote:

Limit of activations

Quote:
precedence.
1) Scenario special rule
2) Power description
3) Talent description
6) Game aid
7) Starting guide

Quote:
allowed for the turn.

So we take that to mean that Leader does not break the core rule and that you still only get 2 activations. Without that sentence, we would play it that Leader does allow to go beyond 2 activations.

Ahhh yeah we were in the same boat as you. Basically we assumed that Leader, as a talent, overwrote the general rule of maximum 2 units, but completely missed that on page 27 it counts towards the 2 unit max.

So only powers that specifically say you get 3 activations then would work (e.g. Athena's and Agamemnon's powers for example that specifically say you get 3 instead of 2 activations are valid).

Thanks for that clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
When I was demoed the game by Leo during Spiel '16 I had a similar question. His answer was that you are only allowed two activations per turn. Three with Athenas Power. This was in response to me activating Athena with another two units, the second one being Leonidas which I wanted to use Leader on his Spartans. I was allowed to find their activation card, but activate them.
I believe this is outlined in the rules, but perhaps not as clear as it could be.

You were able to activate them? Or not able to?

I guess is there clarification on if you can use Leader to still search and add a troop activation card to your hand even if you dont have a second activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Bedarev
Germany
Munich, Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
roboraygun wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:
djmacbest wrote:
roboraygun wrote:

Quote:

Limit of activations

Quote:
precedence.
1) Scenario special rule
2) Power description
3) Talent description
6) Game aid
7) Starting guide

Quote:
allowed for the turn.

Ahhh yeah we were in the same boat as you. Basically we assumed that Leader, as a talent, overwrote the general rule of maximum 2 units, but completely missed that on page 27 it counts towards the 2 unit max.

So only powers that specifically say you get 3 activations then would work (e.g. Athena's and Agamemnon's powers for example that specifically say you get 3 instead of 2 activations are valid).

Thanks for that clarification!

From our understanding, if you would like to use Leader talent, you should consider a troop activation like a second one for particular turn, just without an AW card.

So, if for example you have activated Leonidas 1st and decided to involve some troop unit as well, you should end your turn after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roboraygun wrote:
Evil_X wrote:
When I was demoed the game by Leo during Spiel '16 I had a similar question. His answer was that you are only allowed two activations per turn. Three with Athenas Power. This was in response to me activating Athena with another two units, the second one being Leonidas which I wanted to use Leader on his Spartans. I was allowed to find their activation card, but activate them.

You were able to activate them? Or not able to?

I guess is there clarification on if you can use Leader to still search and add a troop activation card to your hand even if you dont have a second activation?

I was NOT able to activate the. For some reason I omitted the 'not' in my post. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.