Subject: Beginner's game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I would personally recommend the original TTR for beginners. However, if you only have TTR:Europe on your bookshelf, you can simplify a bit the rules as follows :

-Just play without Stations and long distance routes;

-At start, deal only 3 regular Destination Tickets to each player. Before taking their first turn, each player must keep a minimum of two tickets although they may keep all 3 cards;

That's it.

So...Removing the long distance routes would make the game less cutthroat (no more 19+ points to lose)... And not playing with stations makes it less fiddly...This variant works well with 2 or 3 players but has yet to be fully tested with 4 and 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vlach
Germany
Trier
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We play it this way ( including long-distance) with our 5 1/2 year old son. Additionally after one destination ticket has be fulfilled one may take one new out of three drawn tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
The stations are the reason to play TtR:E. They prevent huge point swings from one card. Even without the long tickets, failing a 10 point card is a 20 point swing, +10 to -10. Also, the board is designed to be tight in the center, so you need the stations.

If I were trying to simplify it, I'd drop the tunnel and ferry rules.

Actually, I'd play Trans Europa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
The stations are the reason to play TtR:E. They prevent huge point swings from one card. Even without the long tickets, failing a 10 point card is a 20 point swing, +10 to -10. Also, the board is designed to be tight in the center, so you need the stations.

I totally agree. I see the stations as the reason for choosing Europe above other Ticket to Rides when playing with beginners (children, for example). Stations make the game less hard and cutthroat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.