Kevin Bean
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was bouncing around an idea with my son to pitch to my FLGS and figured that this probably already exists out there in BGG land. Are there any Board Game Leagues?

Like a bowling league, get a team of 4 of 5 folks and they meet weekly and compete against other teams. Each individual's ranking at their table gives them a score: 2nd place = 2 points, 4th place = 4 points. The team with the lowest score wins the night, however the scores would be tracked for a 3 to 4 month period.

At the end of the period, they would win the games they played and the game store will have sold all those games.

They could register a team name and get t-shirts with the game store name on the front and the team name and emblem on the back. Each team member would pay around $10 per week to cover the costs of the games and the t-shirts and the place to play.

I figure you would get 3 or 4 games and rotate them during the season. You could have war gaming leagues, worker placement leagues, cult of the new league, classic game league. Could also set up something like this for MTG, DiceMasters, Summoner Wars, etc - adding a team aspect to these games would be cool as well.

Thought I would throw this out here to hammer out some details, but I know I would enjoy being a part of a board gaming league.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I organized a couple individual competitions that took place over multiple club locations. One was a Formula De tournament that followed the F1 season and the other allowed each location host to pick a game and invite anyone to play and report the results.

I considered doing something similar to your idea with teams, but organized by our hosting locations, rather than by game stores. But there didn't seem to be enough enthusiasm for the competition aspect to have it be viable. Also, getting teams of people together on a schedule is difficult, as I found out being a coach for a tennis team.

I'd advise seeing what interest there is among potential players and getting their input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few other things that may need to be worked out (which are why I would not personally be likely to participate in a local league):

1. What happens if someone who is not registered for the league shows up to an event? Are they added to the league? Do they get some kind of compensation for joining late?

2. What happens if a player misses an event?

3. How are games going to be adjudicated? Is there going to be a judge for the whole league, for example? What happens if players have a disagreement about rules? What should a player do if they think another player is cheating?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
There are some in my areas, but if they play games I am not interested in or is too competitive, it is not for me.

I play for the social experience and competition, but I don't want to commit to a regular schedule as it's too confining
Good luck to those who do though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bean
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There would need to be a substitute system because almost everyone will have a time or two that they couldn't make. Just like with a tennis team or bowling league. Also someone at the store would need to be knowledgeable about the game and serve as judge like they do for MTG tournaments.

But I do agree that all of these things would need to be clear on the front end - especially for something new. I kinda like the idea off having a committment I often feel like I need more time to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.