United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both the original hardback and the latest rules in pdf. I'm curious, I haven't seen a summary of the rules changes and haven't tried to compare the two rulesets myself. Does a summary of changes exist? If not, what were the most significant changes? I saw a review that discussed the original version having some broken rules but I haven't seen any references to what rules were considered broken.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no summary of changes.

All of the changes made were made to make the game more compliant with existing limitations of the Star Fleet Universe.

Among the biggest, or at least most significant change were:
1) Klingons are no longer able to zip around the board, making 720-degrees of direction change in a single movement phase. Their ships, while still being slightly more maneuverable than some other empires; at least follow the laws of physics.

2) Drone are no longer, auto-hit, 36-inch range, uber insta-weapons. The range of drones was cut to match the range reductions given to all other weapons when porting over from Federation Commander, and they are now a bit slower and a bit easier to defend against.

3) Gorn ships are no longer wallowing fleets flying through space in a seemingly ballistic manner. They can now also maneuver during flight.

There were other rule changes designed to make the game flow better, or the be more consistent as expansions start coming out next year, but those are the big three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoutdad wrote:
There is no summary of changes.

All of the changes made were made to make the game more compliant with existing limitations of the Star Fleet Universe.

Among the biggest, or at least most significant change were:
1) Klingons are no longer able to zip around the board, making 720-degrees of direction change in a single movement phase. Their ships, while still being slightly more maneuverable than some other empires; at least follow the laws of physics.

2) Drone are no longer, auto-hit, 36-inch range, uber insta-weapons. The range of drones was cut to match the range reductions given to all other weapons when porting over from Federation Commander, and they are now a bit slower and a bit easier to defend against.

3) Gorn ships are no longer wallowing fleets flying through space in a seemingly ballistic manner. They can now also maneuver during flight.

There were other rule changes designed to make the game flow better, or the be more consistent as expansions start coming out next year, but those are the big three.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. That question was easy.

I'm dreading the Book Two questions next month!
No, not really, the play testers have driven me nuts asking to make certain that some rules more clearly state their intent, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Book 4 (Andromedans) is where I expect the questions to arise.
I asked if i could just pretend the Andromedans didn't exist and not include them, but alas... I was told they HAVE to be included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Innella
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tony,

Wait, is there a new book coming out for ACTASF? If so, when?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrinnella wrote:
Tony,

Wait, is there a new book coming out for ACTASF? If so, when?

Soon... I hope.
I began sending the text files to ADB in Late July / early August, hoping for an September release.
Then health inssues pushed it to late 2017.

Then the overwhelming success of Shapeways, coupled with the vast amount of time required to get 60+ minis a month (in 9 different materials) took ABSOLUTELY ALL of ADB's development time, so now its been pushed to 1st quarter 2018.

On a brighter note, Boo k3 play testing has been moving right along, so it should be ready soon after Book 2 is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Shapeways? Are the ships moving there? 60+ minis?

Maybe I should start reading the ADB site news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes... production of Starline minis is moving to Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/amarillo-design-bureau-inc

Over 470 minis posted so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.