Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The French Heavy tanks were considered failed designs because they could not cross trenches. However, the German A7V had the same problem, and yet has no particular movement penalty compared to the British tanks in TGW. If we can expect the same with the Schneider and St. Chaumond in the game, they should be about equal to the British tanks in game terms, I'd think.

I would guess they would be useful as mobile gun platforms in both history and the game, and will be interested to see how Mr. Borg handles them. I haven't had a chance to try them out in my 54mm minis games, because a crafty pal who was going to made me some from cardboard never got around to it!

No models of these have ever been made in any scale as far as I know, and the metal one at the French Tank Museum at Samur (their old cavalry school) cost a fortune. However, besides a great museum in general, I did get to see there an actual Schnieder with one side cut away and replaced with transparent plastic, so you could see how the 75mm gun was mounted inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
No models of these have ever been made in any scale as far as I know, and the metal one at the French Tank Museum at Samur (their old cavalry school) cost a fortune.

Battlefront/Flames of War make both a Char Saint Chamond and Schneider CA in 15mm, and a resin/metal kit of the two is included in their Clavery's Chargers French Army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scheider CA
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/fr/ww1-tank_schneider_...

my guess is the same as the Mk1 tank, bog roll every hex
perhaps an extra confirming die to represent the forward gasoline reserve.
the large numbers may justify an extra tank silhouette token like the A7V

St. Chamond
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/fr/ww1-char_saint_cham...

tough to represent, slow and easily bogged
it's assault gun character makes it a male, potentially with a longer range than normal. So in some ways, it should be more like a field gun, with a Mk1 movement capability.
Maybe 0 tank silhouette tokens due to limited numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, good detailed info on these tanks! I've only been searching for this my whole life. Thanks as usual, Mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gerald the old master
msg tools
mb
Go to Fiddlersgreen.net for card stock WW1 tanks. Just scale them to the size you want and print them. Very cheaply priced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle E
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlefront (FOW) and Old Glory have 15mm models of these tanks, but we won't be needing those as we will soon have plastics from PSC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.