Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I'm not the only person who has questioned the suits chosen for this game.

I've seen rwinder post elsewhere that they were left-overs from another design concept.

I think the one I objected to most was "foot" for space expansion... yeah I can see it, but no... we are not walking between these star systems.

Initially I had replaced it with a bird. Birds fly, right?

I think you can see some exampes on the right hand side in light blue.

I would describe it as circle - dot - triangle (beak) - squiggle (tail).

These were taken from my initial home-solo game (session summary coming later). After which I asked some people in my gaming group and had a little brainstorm doodle session.

WALAH:

All too many stars, circles with lines coming off them and vertical lines with pokey bits

The images I decided on are in black - or can be seen on this reference card I made for an attempt to play this with students at my school.

POWER - sun - this still makes sense. Space races could be solar operated. Suns are powerful. The star was too confusing with the stars on the victory track/board. I thought the power gem looked too much like a hex and was also difficult to draw.
I eventually reverted back to the standard circle with 8 lines coming off and the triangles were too easy to muck up.

SETTLE -cow (was moon) - were we only settling on moons before? I didn't see the link. The pitchfork was too close to the new grow symbol, so I needed something else that represented frontiersy-farmsy stuff.
Also I was having difficulty orientating my moons in a consistent fashion.

GROW -tulip (was heart) - I think like "foot" I didn't feel heart belonged in a sci-fi setting.

ADVANCE - beaker (was skull) - again didn't quite match up to my idea of sci-fi techno discovering. I'm still torn between this beaker (how I learned to draw them for science sketches) and the second one from the bottom (the beaker half-full, if you like).

BATTLE - Fist (was fist) - I just chenged the drawing style. I describe it as "little square"-"add three fingers"-"box off the gloves". Fist is good symbol for Battling, and also helps re[resent that "consolidate power" action that replaces Battle when you don't have any opponents nearby.

EXPAND - Rocket (was Foot, and also Bird) - I felt foolish when one of my friends said how about 'rocket' when I was looking for replacements for this suit. I thought I was pretty clever with bird, and deadset liked my image. Rocket was a bit harder to decide on a final design. You can see the interim bird definitely influenced its look and feel.

You'll also notice two further symbols I used to help with the visual appeal of my cards.

I found it a little frustrating that I could easily tell which cards were planets by the arc drawn in the corner, but the other types of cards (TECHNOLOGY, CIVILIZATION) weren't similar distinguished so easily.

So I used a Floppy Disk style picture to represent technology and a person-ankh-triangle pictogram to represent Civilization.

Has anyone else tried customising their suits in their game?

Any thoughts or comments on mine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I made them more abstract: I used a circle with a dot in it for Sun, a crescent moon for Moon, a triangle for heart, a square for Skull, a reverse L for Hand, and an X for foot. All very easy to draw, and instantly recognisable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kennedy
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing. Has got me thimking.

I like the bird rocket. I might try for a leaf shape for grow and brick motif for settle. Maybe a lightning bolt for battle?

I prefer the half full beaker - maybe more like a flask shape.... triangular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.