Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: HALP! Curving Galaxies! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Koulouriotis
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
*wave*
Hi Everybody!
I just bought Tiny Epic Galaxies yesterday and decided to give it a whirl last night, solo. Awesome game!....but look at what my cards did! If you can, look at the original size and you'll get an idea of what I mean.


How does this happen and how do I fix it!?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Perry
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that's caused by humidity.

Try putting a couple of silica gel packets in the game box when storing. They should flatten out.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Silica-Packets-Desiccant-Dehu...



Added: Also, sleeves.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are in an extremely humid area, the change in humidity will do this. So your cards were in a drier climate before they shipped and reacted to sn extreme change in humidity. Wood hates changes in humidity.

Essentially you need to cure the pieces back somehow. I have done this with a ping pong table, but we live in Southern California where it is extremely dry. What we did was use a few humidifiers in a closed bedroom. We placed heavy furniture on top of the warped table and then turned the humidifiers on for 24 hours. It was very warm and moist in the bedroom, as if it was a tropical climate. We then turned the humidifiers off, but left the table alone for another 24 hours. When the atmosphere in the bedroom returned to normal SoCal levels, the table was flat and has stayed that way permanently.

I think if you do something similar, it may fix your cards, but I am not sure what the appropriate amount of humidity/moisture to use without damaging the cards is.

Maybe just try heavy books with no additional humidity for a couple days first.

Adding drying agents or dessicants sounds like the opposite of how we straightened our table, but perhaps that is how you would approach it in your climate. Dry the air out while the cards are under heavy books, then allow the air to get back up to relative humidity. Not sure if this will cure/set the cards back properly, but seems safer than adding more moisture to cardboard or cardstock.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xela_koul wrote:
*wave*
Hi Everybody!
I just bought Tiny Epic Galaxies yesterday and decided to give it a whirl last night, solo. Awesome game!....but look at what my cards did! If you can, look at the original size and you'll get an idea of what I mean.


How does this happen and how do I fix it!?


Return it and get a new copy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Perry
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Solanum wrote:
xela_koul wrote:
*wave*
Hi Everybody!
I just bought Tiny Epic Galaxies yesterday and decided to give it a whirl last night, solo. Awesome game!....but look at what my cards did! If you can, look at the original size and you'll get an idea of what I mean.


How does this happen and how do I fix it!?


Return it and get a new copy.


Rinse and repeat? And repeat?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vaderizer wrote:
Solanum wrote:
xela_koul wrote:
*wave*
Hi Everybody!
I just bought Tiny Epic Galaxies yesterday and decided to give it a whirl last night, solo. Awesome game!....but look at what my cards did! If you can, look at the original size and you'll get an idea of what I mean.


How does this happen and how do I fix it!?


Return it and get a new copy.


Rinse and repeat? And repeat?


My copy of TEG and BTB don't have this problem. It's just what I would do if I got a game with any type of defect, feel free to iron them or whatever!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.