Subject: 4p config viable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike M
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
So I have a 2 player party of Spellweaver / Cragheart going already and plan to start another 4 player party in the same world soon. It would be nice to play the other 4 and not have to deal with overlap. Is a party of: [Brute / Scoundrel / Mindthief / Tinker] viable?

I worry that there is little to no AE or ranged damage. Would this be extra challenging or would there be certain adaptations in card choice that would allow it to function well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pretty much any 3 or 4 player combos are viable, it just may take different play styles and/or card selections to optimize
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dirksj wrote:
So I have a 2 player party of Spellweaver / Cragheart going already and plan to start another 4 player party in the same world soon. It would be nice to play the other 4 and not have to deal with overlap. Is a party of: [Brute / Scoundrel / Mindthief / Tinker] viable?

I worry that there is little to no AE or ranged damage. Would this be extra challenging or would there be certain adaptations in card choice that would allow it to function well?

Brute has some aoe melee atks and a little range.

Scoundrel has very little aoe but could be built pure ranged if you want. I was playing around with this idea as an alternate way to generate a lot of xp with scoundrel.

Tinkerer has some great aoe dmg and lots of ranged dmg. If built right tinkerer is the most powerful ranged aoe DPS I've seen.

Mindthief also has a number of great ranged atks. Not huge dmg but they have stun and element generation and are one of the best ways to generate xp.

I don't think ranged aoe dmg would be an issue at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This. And apart from the real possibility to have good ranged abilities with this group, it should work well enough without ranged builds anyways. With the Brute, Scoundrel and Mindthief you have the mobility and DPS to simply charge in and melee-pummel whatever enemies there are into the ground, no matter what. And with the Tinkerer's healing and backup options, running into a retaliate or status effect from time to time isn't a problem anyways.

So just play whatever combination of characters you like. With a 4-player-game, everything works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Personaly I find that 3 or 4 player parties only realy work if you have a tinkerer (or other strong healing class that get unlocked), cause the incoming damage you take is just too much otherwise, you need the heals. Apart from having a tinkerer every other class combine well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing two copies of the game with all number of players on either Hard or Very Hard. Recently we also introduced 2nd x2 modifier card into the Monster deck to make the game even more challenging.

We found out that as long as the party cooperates efficiently enough, any 4 player setup is easier than any 3 player setup. Which is usually easier than any 2 player setup.

More players bring following advantages:
- Ability card synergies.
- Element synergies.
- Item synergies.
- More chances to crowd control.
- Efficiency! More crowded map resulting in monsters being less efficient and making AOE attacks very efficient.
- Summoned monsters are less likely going to break the game. Some monsters can split/spawn over and over. Any Gloomhaven veteran has seen this too many times. The hard limit on standees ensure that they don't spread indefinitelly. And it's just much simpler to kill 6 or 10 of something with more players than with just two. The more we play with just two players the more we consider making hard limit of standees for less player lower. It can get really frustrating when reshuffling summon cards over and over.

To sum up, any 4 player combo will work. There's absolutelly no need for any dedicated healer/tank but it's fine to have one. I would recommend not to treat Gloomhaven as an MMO though. All characters do more or less same things, just some are better at taking hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Complex wrote:
This. And apart from the real possibility to have good ranged abilities with this group, it should work well enough without ranged builds anyways. With the Brute, Scoundrel and Mindthief you have the mobility and DPS to simply charge in and melee-pummel whatever enemies there are into the ground, no matter what. And with the Tinkerer's healing and backup options, running into a retaliate or status effect from time to time isn't a problem anyways.

So just play whatever combination of characters you like. With a 4-player-game, everything works well.

Yeah, I think that could work. However, with 4 players bringing a lot of monsters and triple melee, I feel like having some extra jump would be pretty necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DakonBlackblade wrote:
Personaly I find that 3 or 4 player parties only realy work if you have a tinkerer (or other strong healing class that get unlocked), cause the incoming damage you take is just too much otherwise, you need the heals. Apart from having a tinkerer every other class combine well.

Nah. Most of the classes have some limited Healing or other ways to avoid damage. You definitely don't need a Healer in Gloomhaven.

With 4p, any combo would work IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only change I'd make for that 4p setup is to buy jump boots for Mindthief and Scoundrel, and boots of striding for the Brute, instead of the usual invisibility cloaks / melee weapons. With 3 melee attackers, the doorways can get really clogged, and jumping over all the enemies can be super helpful.

Also, your summon cards are going to be terrible in this party. The Mindthief's rats and Tinkerer's decoys are MVP in a 2-player game, but they have an aggravating tendency to stand right where your other players wanted to be. By contrast, the AOE attacks that are underwhelming in 2p can be clutch in 4p games where you're facing six skeletons instead of three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.