Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paran√°
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey guys, i know this will sound a bit irrelevant, but i need to know.
Do you prefer to go to a gamestore to buy a game, or buy online, wait a little bit, and get the game at your house?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy online most of the time. I don't mind waiting a few days for delivery. Occasionally, I will buy a game in a local game store if the price is close to what I can buy it for online. But that doesn't happen very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying on Amazon or Noble Knight is one thing. Buying on eBay is another. Returns are easy from a reputable business. Returns from eBay not so much.
My 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea how the economics of it work in Brazil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the absolute best of all worlds. Miniature Market is a two mile drive from my front door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
I've got the absolute best of all worlds. Miniature Market is a two mile drive from my front door.

Nope. You pay sales tax as the price for that convenience. I'd gladly wait a week to save 10% on all orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely buy from ebay, but in general I buy from whoever has the best price. So most often, online. Waiting isn't really a big deal, especially with Amazon two day shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to focus my purchases in my favorite local gaming store, and when trying to decide among several games I may just prioritize those they have in stock or can be easily ordered. We spend a lot of time in there meeting to play 2 or 3 times a week, often using games from their own collection, so I kind of feel that I'm in debt to them. I don't buy as many new games as most people around BGG, so in my particular case, supporting a place we enjoy is far more important than saving some extra money looking for the best price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:

Nope. You pay sales tax as the price for that convenience. I'd gladly wait a week to save 10% on all orders.

Taxes pay for civilization. Never forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
curtc wrote:
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:

Taxes pay for civilization. Never forget.

I will support politicians who push for all online orders requiring sales tax. Until then, I will not voluntarily pay more taxes than I need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
Australia
ARTARMON
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have experience of the following outcomes;

Online = cheaper but great potential for damage in transit.

Game store = generally higher prices but undamaged.

Also, game store = no wait time.

Yes, there are exceptions to the above but generally speaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had pretty good success with ebay.

I used to get a lot of older out-of-print mass market games. In 2017, I've gotten:

Monster Fluxx $5.50
Ticket to Ride $13.99
Fluxx: The Board Game $9.50
Killer Bunnies and the Conquest of the Magic Carrot $21
Ticket to Ride: Europe $12.50 (box has one split corner)
Carcassonne $6.06
Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912 $10 (in shrink)
Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 $8.50 (in shrink)
Ticket to Ride: The Card Game $6.50

All games have been complete and in as good condition as if I'd bought them from Amazon or elsewhere. But I'm not in a terribly big hurry to acquire any particular game. I have plenty of others to play while I wait for a good price.

I also get games from Amazon or other OLGS, but only when there's a good sale. Most other stuff comes from kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paran√°
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here in Brazil is the same thing i think as it is in the most part of the rest of the world, but the price i will pay for the delivery, in great majority of times, makes the lower price raise to the price that i would pay at a local gamestore. But the thing is, at least in Curitiba (the city i live) we don't have so much gamestores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.