Way of the Fighter: Super» Forums » Rules

Subject: One to four dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phillip Peck

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
Is there a balance reason behind not permitting players to ante up no dice, or is it just so that the momentum of the core gameplay (play cards, roll dice, resolve, repeat) keeps you involved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1 dice minimum is required for all actions, especially the ones with high priority.

This is a very stupid response, but it also prevents players from stocking their dice early in the game(definitely the player with initiative on turn one or two).

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m not sure what the design reason was for doing this but it has an interesting in game consequence. While at long range playing a mode card is very safe against certain opponents. Many modes are quite powerful, and even more so if your deck is built around the mode. Having to spend one die gives the mode a slight cost. On the up side to this as well if one player has a mode and the other doesn’t the player that is lacking a Mode can play Block and be up at least two dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Peck

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
Both of those are pretty good points. Hopefully Ben will pop in to elaborate more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to this question is quite complex, but it comes down to two main point:
- Dice are the main currency of the game and playing action should have cost for the economy to function.
- If you can play action without dice, you could create close to infinite combos, not easily bit definetly possible.

I hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Peck

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
Hmm, good points. I don't see high odds in getting a nice 4-5-6-7-8-9 priority sequence in your hand, beating your opponent with only a 4, and all those cards forming a functional combo ... but even if you were only able to throw out two or three, you'd still be loaded up on dice the next turn.

Thanks for the reply; I'm big on fighting game adaptations and like playing around with the rules and experimenting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.