Jamal Rahhali
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the opportunity to get the old coffin-box version of ToI for $40CAD and next wave for $70CAD. This will be my second war game after Memoir '44.

I am having a difficult time deciding if I should spend less and get the older version, or spend more and get the Next Wave version, mostly because I cannot figure out what the differences between them are.

I was hoping I could get some advice on which one I should get. What exactly are the differences, and are they worth the extra $30?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biomage
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly more components in the coffin box. New rules in the Next Wave.

Go with the cheaper and download the new rules here.

Don’t expect anything like Memoir ‘44. It’s not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Lam
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the get it cheaper.

In addition to the prior reply, there's a small difference in the mix of units provided. Couple of tanks removed replaced by new sculpts. Can't remember specifics..i also recall something about tile colors slightly off from the 2nd ed. Expansions.

I've also seen Next Wave go on clearance a couple of times for a lot less than $70. You may want to be patient and/or shop around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get both. The Next Wave version for all the updated strategy cards, updated operation cards, and the updated rule books. The older version for all the extra bits like figures and tokens. But only get the older version if you can find it for a low cost. Otherwise, just stick with the Next Wave version.

And if you can find Days of the Fox, get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurentiu Cristofor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See first reply in this thread for a list of differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamal Rahhali
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks guys. I ended up holding off, and finally picking up the old edition for $10. Going to be trying it out tonight, and reading the new rule set. We'll see how well I do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.