Charlemagne, Master of Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim landers
msg tools
Happy Holidays to everyone!
I have some questions. Concerning movement of Charlemagne or a Marquis:
Prior to an action, you get a free movement to an unoccupied adjacent box. Then you may force march to an adjacent unoccupied box and that is an action followed by a cup adjustment and the drawing of one chit from the hostile cup. The boxes that you move to must be unoccupied. So am I correct in assuming that just being adjacent to a box occupied by the enemy is enough in order to wage a battle or a suppression on the following action?
Also, if that is true it follows that you cannot move through an occupied box just to get somewhere else. Is that correct? So it is possible to get hemmed in or blocked. Is that correct?
Lastly: Can you move into a box in a region that has no enemies with Charlemagne and just wait for your second “end turn” chit, so that you can start to build a church?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the questions!

flandt wrote:
Happy Holidays to everyone!
I have some questions. Concerning movement of Charlemagne or a Marquis:
Prior to an action, you get a free movement to an unoccupied adjacent box.

This is not entirely correct. As part of performing an action, prior to performing it, you do get to move to one adjacent box, but it isn't required that that box be unoccupied. The action you perform then takes place in the box that you occupy after resolving the movement. That is, to take an action against the Lombardy box, you must be in the Lombardy box. You can't take an action against the Lombardy box from an adjacent box.

In order to take the Forced March action, the box you're "taking the action" in must be unoccupied (that's the prerequisite for the action), as must be the subsequent box that you enter when you actually resolve the action. So for Forced March only, prior to taking that action, you need to either already be in or move into an unoccupied box, and then when you take the action, you must move into an unoccupied box.

Quote:
Can you move into a box in a region that has no enemies with Charlemagne and just wait for your second “end turn” chit, so that you can start to build a church?

By "just wait", do you mean continuing to spam the Forced March action, moving from one box to another within the Region, until the second chit comes out? You could do that, sure, though in most cases it's probably going to be better just to end the campaign phase early (as you then resolve only four Hostile Reactions, and end the turn regardless of the chits drawn, as covered in 6.0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim landers
msg tools
After sending my questions I read over the pertinent parts of the instructions more carefully. I see that I sort of combined “force march” and the free move rule. Now I understand that I must be in the box to take the action and also understand “force march” as well. Thanks also for the clarification on that.
Concerning starting to build the church, I thought I could move Charlemagne into the purple area which had no enemies (in my game) nothing in the box and then for my next action move the Marquis in the yellow region and then do a “suppression” with him. As it turned out I moved Charlemagne into Bavaria won a battle there getting the first end turn marker and then moved to Friuli and did a suppression and then moved on to Lombardy, did another “suppression” and acquired the second end turn marker. In the build phase I started a church in Italy. So I am making some mistakes but mostly doing things correctly. I am just about to start the fourth turn.
Loving the game and things are tightening up and I enjoy the challenge. This is a lot of fun
Thanks for answering my questions. Great game, Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim landers
msg tools
Neglected to mention, I had totally forgotten that I could end the Campaign phase early. That would have been a much better way of doing things. I will remember that for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.