James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
We played the new expansion last night, and I loved the variability it brings to each faction. Naturally though, I've looked through these forums for a lot of clarifications. One I have not found though is on the Turbo Harvester.

Does each Turbo Harvester have a limit on activations? Since the highest level is 5 wrenches, once the marker gets up there, can the building be run any more without an increase left? Or can each building effectively only harvest 15 crystals in the region it was built? We had one player build just one harvester in an outside region, and we played that he could use it over and over in that region, so he had 25 crystals there in the last round and ran away with the game by over 20 points. Did we play this correctly?

If you were to activate the Turbo Harvester a 6th time, you would have to pay 6 wrenches. And so on. The Tile handles 5 activations, due to restrictions with activating structures, and the limited amount of actions in a given game, 5 activations covers most cases.

But to be clear the cost of the activation of Turbo Harvester increases by 1 each time it is activated.

First activation is 1 Wrench. 18th Activation would be 18 Wrenches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
jmathias wrote:
Team D20 wrote:
We played the new expansion last night, and I loved the variability it brings to each faction. Naturally though, I've looked through these forums for a lot of clarifications. One I have not found though is on the Turbo Harvester.

Does each Turbo Harvester have a limit on activations? Since the highest level is 5 wrenches, once the marker gets up there, can the building be run any more without an increase left? Or can each building effectively only harvest 15 crystals in the region it was built? We had one player build just one harvester in an outside region, and we played that he could use it over and over in that region, so he had 25 crystals there in the last round and ran away with the game by over 20 points. Did we play this correctly?

If you were to activate the Turbo Harvester a 6th time, you would have to pay 6 wrenches. And so on. The Tile handles 5 activations, due to restrictions with activating structures, and the limited amount of actions in a given game, 5 activations covers most cases.

But to be clear the cost of the activation of Turbo Harvester increases by 1 each time it is activated.

But since the card only has 5 activations on it, does that mean it is capped at 5 activations for each of the three structure? That's what I'm asking.

Each structure can be activated once per action (if you have enough wrenches). So if you have all three built, and you have one at 5, one at 1, and one at 3, you can activate all three paying 6, 2, and 4 (12) wrenches.

There is no rule capping the structure at 5 activations. As I mentioned earlier, 5 activations covers the majority of plays, it's going to be very rare to activate these building beyond 5, due to in game limitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
jmathias wrote:
Team D20 wrote:
jmathias wrote:
Team D20 wrote:

But since the card only has 5 activations on it, does that mean it is capped at 5 activations for each of the three structure? That's what I'm asking.

Each structure can be activated once per action (if you have enough wrenches). So if you have all three built, and you have one at 5, one at 1, and one at 3, you can activate all three paying 6, 2, and 4 (12) wrenches.

There is no rule capping the structure at 5 activations. As I mentioned earlier, 5 activations covers the majority of plays, it's going to be very rare to activate these building beyond 5, due to in game limitations.
and yet in my first game with that structure, one player built just one Turbo Harvested in a protected corner and ran that over and over, about 7 times, which is why I'm asking for an official rule clarification.

Well, if you want official clarification, your best bet would be to write Portal directly. I can only tell you what I know from being a play tester on the expansion.

Sounds like so long as that player paid the proper costs, and never activated the structure more than once per action, they played it correctly.

Allowing that player to keep control of that territory, let them run away with the game. There is no reason not to push in an take the territory, and thereby preventing the use of their structure, and forcing them to tie up actions and resource on less efficient actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.