Gaia Project» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What is the best opening you think for the Bescods? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur CJK
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

For Bescods I think the best opening is to go for academies and get navigation lv2 ASAP(at R1 I will). Their faction ability is kind of not-so-attractive and it seems not easy to manage.

What's your idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alvin toushiro
msg tools
i bet on a 2-research lab opening.

see discussion in the link below:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1901771/bescod-weak

please try this out when the round boosters and round bonus tiles favour this opening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
aluxorvin wrote:
i bet on a 2-research lab opening.

see discussion in the link below:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1901771/bescod-weak

please try this out when the round boosters and round bonus tiles favour this opening!

I just want to make sure I follow how this would work in R1.

You need 16c and 10ore to make this happen. You start with 15c and 7ore, so you need to source at least 1c and 3ore for this to be possible.

So, likely in the order of operations:

R1:
-Build TS #1 (leftover 12c/5ore)
-Bescod special ability to go up Terraforming research track (12c/7ore)
-Build RL #1, take 1 QIC/1ore research tile (7c/5ore)
-Build TS #2 (4c/3ore)
-Use pwr (either by leeches from neighbors or burn one power to cycle one into bowl III) to gain 1c, build RL #2 (0c/0ore)

Then be sure to obtain the 1ore/1pwr charge research tile, and pass hopefully getting an ore round booster headed into R2.

Income in R2 then would be: 7c, 1pwr up, 3 ore, (+whatever else was on the Booster)

Then it seems like R2 is pretty short. Build two mines, go up the research track in whatever is most useful (depends on where the research tiles were that you took here, but I would think you would want economy, science, or Nav for the Bescods). Take another ore booster if possible, etc.

That about right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
I just wanted to add that the Bescods are going to build a smaller number of structures than most factions. Instead they want to use their PI to build very cheap federations. Bescods can make 2 structure federations with a combination of a building on their home color and a PI or Academy with the tech tile which makes these structures base power value 4. This means that you want to typically pick Bescods when at least one of the bonus tiles that increases NAV is in the game specifically the +2C and QIC or NAV +3 and charge 2 power. These bonus tiles make it a lot easier to reach your home color planets which is mandatory to have a strong Bescod game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
What about building 1 RL in both rounds 1 and 2 and maintaining 3 base ore income?

Starting Resources (Ore: 7 Coins: 15 Knowledge: 1 Power I: 2 II: 4) + Round Bonus

R1: Build 1 RL and 1 Mine (Using Power Action for the terraform on an adjacent white or brown planet or using temporary navigation + QIC to build on a Gaia) advance twice on Science. Take any income oriented tile to get the 2nd step. If the game heavily incentivizes Gaia Plants 3 points for building on Gaia is also possible as you will have decent coin income from RL and Ore income from mines. Round 1 or Round 2 take a round bonus that gives you 1 more knowledge to get up to 4 (1 start + 2 science track + 1 round booster) this can be skipped if 1c + 1k is the tech tile that you took.

Resources (Ore: 4 Coins: 8 Knowledge: 3 Power: Varies) + Round Bonus + Tech Tiles

R2: Build 1 RL and 1 Mine (Requires 2 Ore and 2 Coins) and advance twice on Nav or Terraforming using ability + tech tile or 4K. If you go up in Nav you may need ore from the 2 Ore Power action, or using 1 of your 2 Round Bonus tiles for an Ore + you may need to use your QIC from tech advancing. You can use the 4K to get to level 3 on the Science track (especially good if you were able to get the 1c + 1k tech tile) or the track you choose on round 2 Terraforming or Nav.

Resulting Income (Ore: 3+Tech Tile, Coins: 7+Tech Tile, Knowledge 2-3+Tech Tile, Power 0+Tech Tile)

I prefer this opening as I feel it better plays into the Bescod's strength of getting to level two of tech tracks as it spreads out when you gain the initial two tech tiles. This opening should result in a flexible game and more options for getting a cheap Trade Stations in the construction of your second RL. As you can get an early 3rd level on the Terraforming, Science, or Navigation Tracks, you can build your game plan more around the round scoring conditions and end game scoring conditions for rounds 3-6. I think most players will pursue getting the base 4k income, but the option to pursue other strategies and rely only 2 knowledge income is acceptable if the game calls for expanding early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
Limitless333 wrote:
What about building 1 RL in both rounds 1 and 2 and maintaining 3 base ore income?

Starting Resources (Ore: 7 Coins: 15 Knowledge: 1 Power I: 2 II: 4) + Round Bonus

R1: Build 1 RL and 1 Mine

It would be better (in general) to try to build three mines if starting with one RL. But as always it is dependent on the setup, and it may not always be possible to pull off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Quote:
It would be better (in general) to try to build three mines if starting with one RL.

The 3rd mine does not provide ore income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
Limitless333 wrote:
Quote:
It would be better (in general) to try to build three mines if starting with one RL.

The 3rd mine does not provide ore income.

Maybe I didn't understand what you meant initially, but I meant to end with RL + 4 mines. (Start with two; upgrade one to RL leaves one; building three gives four.) This requires 2+3+1+1+1=8 ore and 3+5+2+2+2=16 coins, which is not infeasible. The problem is accessing three new planets.

Obviously you are right that _ending_ with RL + 3 mines should be avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur CJK
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Limitless333 wrote:
I think most players will pursue getting the base 4k income, but the option to pursue other strategies and rely only 2 knowledge income is acceptable if the game calls for expanding early on.

This is a very good point. If we don't need navigation 2 that much in R1, we can just take the +1 knowledge booster tile and try to get knowledge tech Lv3 in R1. This way we can start expansion in R2 and also benefit from the knowledge tech later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur CJK
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Round 1:
1. Advance knowledge tech using factions' ability.
2. Build an AC and again advance knowledge tech to level 2.

Doing so we will have 4K in the beginning of round 2 and that means we can reach navigation level 2 in round 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zilch zilch
msg tools
mbmbmb
ArthBazz wrote:

What tech tile are you taking here? 4 coins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur CJK
Taiwan
flag msg tools
thezilch wrote:
ArthBazz wrote:

What tech tile are you taking here? 4 coins?

I will take the 4 coins, if it is at the right location. If not, I think I will take the 1 knowledge + 1 coin.
My friend's Bescods just got 52 points from techs tonight, 4 Lv5 and 1 Lv3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.