31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2-player, ~45 mins, significant weight/depth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
About 40% of the games I play are 2-player. Our tastes lately have been evolving to some pretty heavy games (Madeira, Bora Bora, ZhanGuo), which we enjoy a lot, particularly due to the deep decision spaces, with every choice having multiple consequences and effects. We also play a lot of very short and lightweight games (Kingdom Builder, Keltis, Patchwork), and of course various mid-weight ones (Fresco, Yspahan, Orléans) all of which we also enjoy, but our recent sojourns into the realm of the aforementioned heavier games, means we're hankering for some heavier fare when we have gaps of only an hour or less.

As should be obvious from posting in this particular forum, I'm looking for recommendations for games which would best fit this gap, as well as for opinions on the games I myself have identified as possibly being worth investigating.

What we're looking for:
* Good with 2 players. It doesn't need to be "best" with 2, but it shouldn't be too zero sum or anemic either compared to the "best" experience with the game. We've seen some okay dummy player mechanisms, but have a mild preference for doing without.
* Less than 1 hour play + setup time. It's okay if a first game takes longer, if experience makes the game go faster (we for example found this to be the case with ZhanGuo, but not at all with Bora Bora). We're not particularly fast players, though.
* As much depth, and ideally weight, as can possibly be crammed into such a short game.
* Primarily a euro; auction or area majority shouldn't be the central mechanism (though it's okay if either is present in a low-key way). Solid chunks of wood preferred over plastic. Something with a meaningful board preferred over a cards-only game.
* A pretty/uplifting/positive theme is appreciated. A zombie/horror/juvenile fantasy theme is a major turn off (with juvenile fantasy I mean the type where all the women wear skimpy outfits).

The Voyages of Marco Polo would be a perfect fit for these criteria, though just a bit longer than ideal (particularly with setup taken into account). As such, it's already a game we play a lot lately.

Games I've identified myself as potentially being a good fit, ordered in how likely I currently think them to be worth acquiring:
* The Palaces of Carrara (gameplay is listed as 60 mins; is this less with 2 players? What's setup like? How deep is it?)
* Saint Petersburg (second edition) (gameplay is listed as 60 mins; is this less with 2 players? What's setup like? How deep is it?)
* First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express! (gameplay is listed as 60 mins; is this less with 2 players? What's setup like? How deep is it?)
* Elysium (gameplay is listed as 60 mins; is this less with 2 players? What's setup like? How deep is it?)
* Akrotiri (2-player only; how confrontational is this? How varied is the decision space?)
* Glass Road (we feel that Uwe recycles too many of his ideas in too many of his games. Yes, Le Havre, Agricola, Ora et Labora, and Fields of Arle are all very fine games indeed; but we see little reason to get even more of his games in this space. I've read that Glass Road feels more unique... Is it really? In what ways?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
* As much depth, and ideally weight, as can possibly be crammed into such a short game.

* Glass Road (we feel that Uwe recycles too many of his ideas in too many of his games. Yes, Le Havre, Agricola, Ora et Labora, and Fields of Arle are all very fine games indeed; but we see little reason to get even more of his games in this space. I've read that Glass Road feels more unique... Is it really? In what ways?)

This 2p run through will answer your questions better than I could https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/36159/glass-road/rahdo-r...

But just from the title I was going to suggest Glass Road. I don't know of a game that packs so much into 20 mins per player. It has non-conflict player interaction and great for two. I have not played enough Uwe titles to know how 'recycled' this game is but it is one of my favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert and Attika are eurogames that may be worth checking out. Both are best with 2 players in my opinion.

Another possibility would be to check out abstracts. Some of the attributes you mentioned (2 player, chunky wood pieces, deep) tend to be present in a lot of abstracts. Chess 960 when played with an appropriate time control (app or dedicated chess clock) will get you 45 minute or less for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
bwingrave wrote:
Another possibility would be to check out abstracts.

I love abstracts, but my gaming partner not so much (despite being okay with Patchwork and Taluva), probably due to them being pretty much by definition fully confrontational / zero sum, so this sadly won't be the way we'll fill this particular gap in our collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Have a look at:

The Castles of Burgundy - it is faster than Bora Bora but is still full of interesting decisions

Five Tribes - more likely 60 mins, but well worth it

We play both of the above a lot, as well as Voyages of Marco Polo, and love them all

Compared to the games mentioned above, Akrotiri feels like it has a lot less to it and we tend to select it if we feel like something less taxing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wießler
msg tools
mbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small with expansions is the game you are looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like you are describing Caylus. meeple

Granted, the first few games will probably take longer, but once you learn it this should fit unless one (or both) of you suffer from AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ginkgopolis. Taluva. Tash-Kalar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is for exactly 2 players, ~45 mins BUT I would never call it a euro with wooden pieces. It's a tile based, asymmetrical dungeon crawler.
Simple, yet deep. Worth a try imo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There’s a nice list of recommendations already and since we seem to be on the same page I’ll eagerly follow this thread.

Saint Petersburg turns out to be not that exciting with two players. In early turns it’s a matter of luck whether you can choose first to buy the green cards, and choices are very obvious. I think you are past this level of games.

Of the games mentioned above Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is one of our favorites, but you’ll need at least one expansion (999 released only the first expansion but the second one is easy to obtain in German). Uwe, I know, but it’s too good to ignore.

Concordia works very well with two and certainly has depth. You gotta love some math though, and maybe you’ll feel that the Italia Map is still too large for two (we don’t but we don’t play very confrontational).

My last advice is our all time most played game: Trains.
Some say it’s Dominion with a board, but it’s exactly that board which changes everything. There are two caveats though.
First: In the base game there’s not a decent two player board but you can download several for free at the AEG website, or buy one of the expansions (of which Trains: Rising Sun is also a stand alone).
Second: You need the Route Bonus cards to give the board enough VP value, which are not included in the base game but can be downloaded, or obtained in the expansions.
By now we have every expansion that matters for two players and almost at 50 plays.

Good luck and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Glass Road

Nothing tops GR for a deep game with a short time frame. And it feels fresh to me for an Uwe game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George S
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Austria Hotel: plays best at two, is relatively short (7 rounds, 2 actions per round for each player)and offers deep and tactical gameplay (dice drafting, cool combos with cards) with interesting theme (managing a hotel and serving coffe, wine, strudel and cake to guests).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
St Petersburg I found very programmed at 2P. I could have quite easily written a few lines & got a robot to take my turn. For this reason, I traded it away.

I was going to suggest Snowdonia but then I saw you have it in your collection. If it's to do with the set-up time, that does get a lot quicker with familiarity. I've just finished a solo game that took 20 minutes from unboxing to back on shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower is easily done with 2 in 45 min and hard to see anything better in that time frame in the mid-weight euro-y range. It scales brilliantly 2-6 but at 2 its super quick and it can be as mean as you want it to be.

Then you couldnt go deeper or better than Pax Renaissance which is easily within 45 minutes and very, very meaty. That is not exactly a euro but a hybrid design that could appeal to anyone wanting a very deep and engaging experience but in a very quick playing time.

Going in a different direction you could dabble in war and war like games and could easily do a scenario of No Retreat in 45 min and whilst there is lots of dice rolling there is also lots of depth.

I recommend High Treason - a trial game using Twilight Struggle like mechanics for a quick playing game with a good amount of depth.

If you ignore set up time or get very quick at it you could even do Russian Railroads in 45 min for 2 (certainly under 1 hour) and particularly with expansions its awesome.

Not massively deep but I really like Mottainai with 2 which is more 15-30 min but packs a huge amount of game into a very quick playing time....

Then there is Race for the Galaxy for a deep quick playing experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also recommend Race for the Galaxy, Glass Road and Five Tribes (a little bit over one hour, though).

You could also go for Valley of the Kings: Afterlife or Valley of the Kings: Last Rites to provide you with a nice deck building experience in a tight box (the first edition is a bit too confrontational perhaps).

Other options are Peloponnes, Metropolys or Medina (second edition) (which is more of an abstract).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I second everything benme just stated. Especially the part about Pax Ren. The first few games will undoubtedly go longer than an hour, due to the initial rules hurdle, but it is so worth it. Even though it's OOP, secondhand copies are still available without spending an arm and a leg. Also scales very well from 2-4 players, should the need arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quaoar 10
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy and Targi come to mind. I've also read that 13 Days is a good two player game similar to Twilight Struggle that plays in an hour. But I've never tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend these four strong 2p games:

Cathedral (a 2p gem, in a match play two times and alternate placing the cathedral and then add the scores after two games)

Carcassonne: The Castle (I really believe this is one of the 10 best 2p games ever made. A lot of skill and nice choices)

Strategy guide: https://sites.google.com/site/daggerheartscrib/home/carcasso...

Onitama (A newer diamond of 2p, I recommend getting the expansion Sensei’s path too. Should be played with a timer, max 1-2 min pr move)

Santorini
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
kgcamb7 wrote:
The Castles of Burgundy - it is faster than Bora Bora but is still full of interesting decisions

Ooh, I hadn't realized this played that swiftly! So far I always passed this game over, as it didn't seem to offer anything missing from our collection, but this might be perfect, indeed!
30-90 minutes is a weird range. Is that really 30 mins for 2 players, (60 for 3?), 90 for 4 players? Or are there different game modes that explain this wide range?

kgcamb7 wrote:
Five Tribes - more likely 60 mins, but well worth it

This does have a lot of branching decisions, but doesn't quite offer the type of weight/depth I'm looking for. And although I liked the game the one time I tried it, it wasn't so well received by my gaming partner.

kgcamb7 wrote:
Compared to the games mentioned above, Akrotiri feels like it has a lot less to it and we tend to select it if we feel like something less taxing.

That's useful to know. Thanks!

Stephan111 wrote:
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small with expansions is the game you are looking for!

Tzaar wrote:
Of the games mentioned above Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is one of our favorites, but you’ll need at least one expansion (999 released only the first expansion but the second one is easy to obtain in German). Uwe, I know, but it’s too good to ignore.

I'll give this a second look, but I really doubt I'll be able to get it to the table. The overlap with both Agricola and Fields of Arle in both theme and mechanics is likely to be just too much.

Johan wrote:
Sounds to me like you are describing Caylus. meeple

We own it, but the one time we played it (as a 4-player game) was not a success.
It's on the list for getting a second look one of these months, and I'll remember it as a potential 2-player game, but I'm not hopeful.

mjacobsca wrote:
Ginkgopolis. Taluva. Tash-Kalar.

See "juvenile fantasy" for me dismissing Tash-Kalar out of hand. (Also looks too zero-sum / confrontational). Taluva we own and play a lot (mentioned above), but doesn't have the type of depth or general gameplay we're looking for here. Ginkgopolis I somehow always dismissed as fluff, but looking closer at it, it seems to actually be decently solid. Unfortunately it also seems to be area control, so that's a big strike against it. The opinions of my geekbuddies on this game are all over the place (with the two most trusted voices rating it a 5 and 8) - so, err... I'll add it to my list to take a closer look at, but don't think it's quite suitable for this particular purpose.

RenaissanceMom wrote:

Fails on theme (definitely not positive/uplifting), and not really what I consider a euro either.

darkabolisher wrote:
Claustrophobia is for exactly 2 players, ~45 mins BUT I would never call it a euro with wooden pieces. It's a tile based, asymmetrical dungeon crawler.

We're really looking for a euro, and not interested in dungeon crawlers.

Tsaar wrote:
Saint Petersburg turns out to be not that exciting with two players. In early turns it’s a matter of luck whether you can choose first to buy the green cards, and choices are very obvious. I think you are past this level of games.

Toc13 wrote:
St Petersburg I found very programmed at 2P. I could have quite easily written a few lines & got a robot to take my turn. For this reason, I traded it away.

That's really good to know. Removing it from consideration. Thanks to both of you!

Tsaar wrote:
Concordia works very well with two and certainly has depth. You gotta love some math though, and maybe you’ll feel that the Italia Map is still too large for two (we don’t but we don’t play very confrontational).

We own it, like it and play it a lot, but although I haven't timed it, it definitely feels like too long for the time range we're aiming for here.

Tsaar wrote:
My last advice is our all time most played game: Trains.
Some say it’s Dominion with a board, but it’s exactly that board which changes everything. There are two caveats though.
First: In the base game there’s not a decent two player board but you can download several for free at the AEG website, or buy one of the expansions (of which Trains: Rising Sun is also a stand alone).

I have a bit of an irrational aversion of train-theme games ever since TTR almost soured me on the entire hobby, so this hasn't been a game I previously even glanced at. As you say that Rising Sun is stand alone, would that by itself fit our criteria? I tend to shy away from having to commit to buying a base game plus expansions before I even know if I like the game at all.

thedacker wrote:
+1 Glass Road

Nothing tops GR for a deep game with a short time frame. And it feels fresh to me for an Uwe game.

Could you describe what about it feels fresh? How does it differ, what type of mechanisms/interaction does it offer that his other games don't have?

George S wrote:
Grand Austria Hotel: plays best at two, is relatively short (7 rounds, 2 actions per round for each player)and offers deep and tactical gameplay (dice drafting, cool combos with cards) with interesting theme (managing a hotel and serving coffe, wine, strudel and cake to guests).

This one is on the wishlist already, but I hadn't considered it for this purpose, as the gameplay is listed as 60-120 minutes. My experience with such time ranges is that even though the 2-player game will be shorter than a 4-player game, it really won't come down below an hour, particularly when setup is added. Is your personal experience really that it manages to be that short?

Toc13 wrote:
I was going to suggest Snowdonia but then I saw you have it in your collection. If it's to do with the set-up time, that does get a lot quicker with familiarity. I've just finished a solo game that took 20 minutes from unboxing to back on shelf

We don't like the 2-player experience of this very much. It's only been relatively recent that we played it with more again, and remembered why we bought it in the first place.

benme wrote:
Keyflower is easily done with 2 in 45 min and hard to see anything better in that time frame in the mid-weight euro-y range. It scales brilliantly 2-6 but at 2 its super quick and it can be as mean as you want it to be.

We own this, and agreed on the brilliant scaling, but there's just no way we'll ever get this down to an hour with 2 players, and that's completely disregarding the hefty setup (and restocking boats). As mentioned, we're not particularly fast players, and it sounds like you are.

benme wrote:
Then you couldnt go deeper or better than Pax Renaissance which is easily within 45 minutes and very, very meaty. That is not exactly a euro but a hybrid design

I'd like to try this game someday, but definitely not an option for what I'm looking for here. (Idem the war games.)

benme wrote:
If you ignore set up time or get very quick at it you could even do Russian Railroads in 45 min for 2 (certainly under 1 hour) and particularly with expansions its awesome.

We found this to be an okay game, but didn't get particularly excited about it, and from what I remember, gameplay and setup would again definitely fall in a longer time range for us.

benme wrote:
Not massively deep but I really like Mottainai with 2 which is more 15-30 min but packs a huge amount of game into a very quick playing time....

I think we have enough games in our collection to fill this niche for now, but I'll keep it in mind for when we're looking for more.

benme wrote:
Then there is Race for the Galaxy for a deep quick playing experience.

This was actually one of the games I was thinking about when I wrote "Something with a meaningful board preferred over a cards-only game."

AlexFS wrote:
You could also go for Valley of the Kings: Afterlife or Valley of the Kings: Last Rites to provide you with a nice deck building experience in a tight box (the first edition is a bit too confrontational perhaps).

We have enough deck builders (and don't particularly enjoy them).

AlexFS wrote:
Other options are Peloponnes, Metropolys or Medina (second edition) (which is more of an abstract).

We own the latter two. Metropolys is very enjoyable, but definitely doesn't offer the depth we're looking for (and is nothing but an auction mechanism). Medina is my personal #1 game ever - but I'm a first edition purist, and believe it should only ever be played as a 4-player game. Peloponnes finally looks utterly unexciting, and a bit too lightweight to otherwise investigate.

Daggerheart wrote:
Cathedral (a 2p gem, a match two plays alternate placing the cathedral and then adds the scores)

Carcassonne: The Castle (I really believe this is one of the 10 best 2p games ever made. A lot of skill and nice choices)

Strategy guide: https://sites.google.com/site/daggerheartscrib/home/carcasso...

Onitama (A newer diamond of 2p, I recommend getting the expansion Sensei’s path too. Should be played with a timer, max 1-2 min pr move)

Santorini
None of these seems to offer the type of depth we're looking for. Am I overlooking something?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, and particularly to those of you who looked at my collection and took everything in consideration when offering suggestions! If anyone has additional considerations or recommendations based on my responses above, I'd be grateful to hear them. I'm also still looking for thoughts on how well The Palaces of Carrara, First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express! and Elysium would fit our criteria. For the moment I think The Castles of Burgundy is at the top of the list, but I'll probably buy 1-2 more for this same gap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm also still looking for thoughts on how well The Palaces of Carrara, First Class and Elysium would fit our criteria. For the moment I think The Castles of Burgundy is at the top of the list, but I'll probably buy 1-2 more for this same gap.

If you’d like to try before you buy, three out of these are available to play online at Yucata.de.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George S
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that 30 minutes per player is pretty accurate for GAH and as you get to know it better the time decreases. Setup doesn't take much time either.
Regarding the depth you are looking, you may also want to check Vital Lacerda. His games are beautifully interconnected and simple in their basic structure, although the time may be an issue. However, Vinhos as a 2 player game can be completed in an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Scussel
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Class will definitely play out in your required timeframe. Two players should be able to play it in 30 min, easy. Is it deep enough for you? That’s something I can’t answer. I think it’s a wonderful game with very few rules but very important decisions. It’s a mid weight game, or mid-light maybe, but that’s based solely on rules alone. The better player will win 100% of the time as there is no luck.

I’m a huge fan of Grand Austria Hotel too and I think you can play that in 60 min with two players. My wife is terrible with AP and we still finish in 75 or so. With a less AP prone player, 45-60 min is totally doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I would not recommend Carrara and Glass Road for 2. The former needs more players to evoke a merciless combination of timing and left-right binding; the latter, while fun to play needs more players to make the I think that you think that I think-aspect work. With 2... it's okay and pleasant, but not more than that. The game is also quite ad hoc because of this element. Make no mistake, I like having it around, but there isn't a lot to it.

My suggestions, at 60 minutes really, but solid and deep all the same:
— Reef Encounter
— The Great Zimbabwe: no kidding. Can sometimes take longer than 60 minutes.
— Goa: is auctions, but in a whambamthankyoumam-way which speeds things up considerably. Works surprisingly well at 2, and can become insanely psychological.
— Steam / Age of Steam with the proper map
— Cavum (although personally I'm more or less done with this title)
— Tikal (preferably with variant 'Mini rules')
— Alien City (takes 20 to 30 minutes): abstract, yes, but very, very deep.

Recommended:
— Tournay
— Artus: much maligned game, but once you realise the crux is in pattern matching, it becomes a tough battle all the way. Disadvantage is that you can't really play with more than 2 players as it becomes too chaotic.

Edit: Sorry, should've cross-referenced your games a bit before recommending things. Tikal you find a bit of a drag: do try the Mini-variant rules. They restricts the game area to about a third of its normal size, strongly condensing matters. Tournay is, I admit, a pain in the rear as far as its symbolism goes. It's fairly interactive, though. If you fancy Castles of Burgundy I'd go for Trajan given your requirements. Traversing the mancala and planning your actions is decidedly deeper than rolling a die and modifying it accordingly. Ginkgopolis I would avoid at 2. The game rules insist on removing cards (and thus tiles) at random prior to every round, and this can both hurt or boost your outlook in an unpleasant manner. Personally I think there is no good player number for Ginkgopolis, but that's another story. Saint Petersburg is a fairly straightfoward snowball engine: clean, sober, efficacious. Not deep, though.

Depth and 45 minutes of playing time do not mesh well, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go along with those recommending Glass Road. It may be better with more than two, but I think it plays fine with just two as well. I also second the Goa recommendation.

I haven't seen recommendations for Macao, At the Gates of Loyang, In the Year of the Dragon, or Egizia yet. All four play very well with two players, and most any game with just two players can clock in at under an hour, in my estimation.

If you want to look at my collection, there is no game I own that doesn't work well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.