Subject: Faction colors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max S
msg tools
mbmb
Hey everyone,
I wondered and couldn't find anything on this topic:
Is there a reason why every race seems to have a color designated to it? Is this some kind of balancing i.e. don't take races of the same color simultaneously?
Or am I over-interpreting this? Or overlooking something obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Because it's prettier than everything in drab gray?
(=yes, overthinking, faction colors have nothing to do with gameplay colors)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The faction color themes have nothing to do with the 6 colors of plastic. They are just there for variety. A lot of players will pick plastic colors based on the race, but many players don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, the icons for a race tend to have a two-color scheme, which suggests that they take one of those two colors of plastic to make it easier for everyone to remember who's who. Think of them as Home and Away colors, to increase the chances of everyone getting a relevant color. For instance, Sol goes with blue and yellow, and the Sardak Norr go with red and black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The faction color themes have nothing to do with the 6 colors of plastic. They are just there for variety. A lot of players will pick plastic colors based on the race, but many players don't.

I typically pick black or white when playing, regardless of what game I am playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The colors of the factions in TI3 was easier to discern. In TI4 they seem to have messed things up.

Not really fond of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
It does help if you can match colors with the races but it doesn't work perfectly. I assume when the 1st expansion arrives and we have 8 player games 2 new colors will help may more races.

In the end it doesn't matter however who uses what, i find it is just easier to remember if they match a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note, WHY did FFG make 17 different sets of tokens, when 6 (one for each color) would have sufficed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian1981 wrote:
On a side note, WHY did FFG make 17 different sets of tokens, when 6 (one for each color) would have sufficed?

It gives each race a little more theme and flavor. That said, the benefits of that obviously have split opinions. I personally prefer it this way over boring, generic tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian1981 wrote:

Because making 17 sets of plastic = insanely expensive, but making 17 sets of cardboard tokens = quite reasonable. So it's just a way to give the races more flavor without jacking up the price of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.