Philip DeWalt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having recently discovered the joys of the game Camelot, I noticed the World Camelot Federation's website had not been updated since 2015. I emailed Michael Nolan, webmaster and overall Camelot enthusiast to find out what the deal was and received a reply from his widow, Marilynn, that he'd passed away in 2015.

As a way to honor his enthusiasm for the game she's kept the website online, however, she has no expertise in running websites nor is she particularly knowledgeable in the game Camelot so she feels unqualified to keep it active.

After a few correspondences with her she said she would appreciate my help finding somebody to take the reins of the World Camelot Federation and the website.

Hence this post.

Here's an opportunity for somebody passionate enough about Camelot - assuming such a person exists - to make a difference.

If that's you, or you know somebody who would be interested, let her know. Email to Michael Nolan - michael@worldcamelotfederation.com - will go to her attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very noble of Ms. Nolan, but is taking over the World Camelot Federation website really the way to do this? There doesn't seem to be a "federation" per sey with "real members." By that I mean a club of some sort with a executive board and so on. The club would then presumably host tournaments and so on.

So would it be better to capture the information in a pdf file(s) and stick it into BGG under the Camelot game? It is a nice website and has a lot of information. We could also create some wiki pages for Camelot and make the information much more usable at BGG than just the pdf file. I really see the pdf file(s) as a tribute to Michael.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip DeWalt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've really no clue how many members there are in the "federation," but I do think it's telling that such a thing even exists. I do consider Camelot to be at the level of other classic games that have withstood the test of time, and I think it borders on criminal negligence that Parker Brothers or Hasbro or whoever now owns it isn't making sure to keep copies of the game available.

The last "championship" Camelot tournament was in 2009, so it's not like this is a long forgotten fringe game, or maybe it is and trying to keep the WCF alive is like tilting at windmills, but regardless, I do agree that at the very least the website should be archived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that people have translated the rules into 41 languages besides English is impressive!

http://worldcamelotfederation.com/Camelot_Rules_Other.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mudsharkbytes wrote:
I've really no clue how many members there are in the "federation," but I do think it's telling that such a thing even exists. I do consider Camelot to be at the level of other classic games that have withstood the test of time, and I think it borders on criminal negligence that Parker Brothers or Hasbro or whoever now owns it isn't making sure to keep copies of the game available.

The last "championship" Camelot tournament was in 2009, so it's not like this is a long forgotten fringe game, or maybe it is and trying to keep the WCF alive is like tilting at windmills, but regardless, I do agree that at the very least the website should be archived.

My point is that Michael Nolan seemed to be 99% of the "federation." I'm not try to knock the game, but the 2009 championship only had eight participants.

I'm just unwilling to commit to years of supporting such a website. 20 hours to "archive" parts in pdf files, sure.

I noticed that parts of the site are archived on the Wayback machine. My virus scanner complained that the forum page had a virus that was trying to attack my machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip DeWalt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
herace wrote:
Mudsharkbytes wrote:

My point is that Michael Nolan seemed to be 99% of the "federation." I'm not try to knock the game, but the 2009 championship only had eight participants.

I'm just unwilling to commit to years of supporting such a website. 20 hours to "archive" parts in pdf files, sure.

I noticed that parts of the site are archived on the Wayback machine. My virus scanner complained that the forum page had a virus that was trying to attack my machine.

I couldn't say whether keeping the website active or merely archiving it is what needs to happen, but it would be a shame for the whole thing to just go up in smoke. As long as Camelot remains out of print the odds are against any kind of a meaningful resurgence of interest in it anyway so how much maintenance or updating the website would need would likely be minimal.

For a largely forgotten game Camelot gets a lot of positive press whenever it is mentioned. Parker brothers pretty much single-handedly killed what was probably their shining star when they inexplicably pulled the game off the shelf.

Interesting that you mention a virus on the forum page (I assume you mean the message board) because that links to some third party eboards4all which seems to be shut down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it turns out that the Federation was basically Michael Nolan and no one else is actively doing stuff (running tournaments etc), then in principle someone could propose simply hosting the website as a static/inactive website, and only update the news to note that Michael Nolan passed away and that the Federation is inactive, and perhaps link to the game's forum here at BGG as a way of potentially communicating with other fans of the game?

If the Federation has other people actively interested in promoting the game, running tournaments, etc, then hopefully one of them would want to continue running the website. (It sounds like no one has contacted his widow about doing this...? Perhaps there is a mailing list or some other way to contact the Camelot Federation members...?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip DeWalt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
If the Federation has other people actively interested in promoting the game, running tournaments, etc, then hopefully one of them would want to continue running the website. (It sounds like no one has contacted his widow about doing this...? Perhaps there is a mailing list or some other way to contact the Camelot Federation members...?)

Presumably all that information should be in a database somewhere on the website.

Both tournaments listed on the website came down to a close contest between Nolan and Dan Troyka of Salina Michigan. I suggested contacting Troyka to Marilynn as a possible person of interest, but haven't heard back from her.

I fear, absent some kind or resurgence of interest in the game, which is pretty unlikely unless by some miracle it goes back into print, there isn't enough interest to sustain the Federation absent Nolan's passion for the game. I got the impression that over the nearly two years since his passing I was the first person to inquire about the absence of activity on the site. That doesn't particularly bode well as an indicator for a robust online community of fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It suggests there aren't really many fans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in some of his Camelot tournaments in years past, and I almost always lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Curtis-Quick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sent a geekmail to Dan Troyka, with a link to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game worth a federation to be sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomen
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
Had not heard of Mike's passing. I and many others played a number of games of Camelot (as well as Camette, Cam and Chivalry)against him on Gold Token. Membership in the Federation was significantly more than 8. There is a definite interest in keeping Camelot alive and the web site going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip DeWalt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oddly enough I got the impression from my limited correspondence with Marilynn that I was the first person to inquire as to why the web page had not been updated since 2015.

She'd like to keep the web site going too if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myron Samsin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe Goldtoken is a good place to ask around, too. They have game forums, though I don't know if the Camelot one is well populated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WW Johnson
msg tools
I am the individual who created River Camelot, Michael Nolan was kind enough to add this version to the Camelot family of games. I hosted an all day Camelot tournament at a wargaming convention in Dearborn, Michigan back in October of 2010, I had the honor of playing four games of Camelot against Michael. Michael won the first three games and I managed to get a draw on our fourth game. As the convention ended Michael said that he would invite me to play in the 2011 World Camelot Tournament, but I never heard any more about it from Michael.
I've been playing Camelot on Goldtoken for a number of years, at one time I was rated number two, currently number four. I absolutely believe that Camelot is the best strategy board games ever produced. I've custom built numerous Camelot game boards and use 28mm Bretonnian miniatures as my playing pieces.
I truly regret the passing of Michael Nolan, a man who loved Camelot and its variants. Does anyone here know how to reach Michael's widow or Dan Troyka?
Winston W. Johnson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Dan Troyka

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:

Doesn't look like that account has been used since about 2005. There isn't a "last login" date recorded.

Doubt that sending a geekmail to that account will do anything. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
christianF wrote:

Doesn't look like that account has been used since about 2005. There isn't a "last login" date recorded.

Doubt that sending a geekmail to that account will do anything. soblue

Depends upon whether the use has set up automatic forward of geekmail to an email account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WW Johnson
msg tools
Last I knew Dan lived in the Ann Arbor, Michigan area. I joined the World Camelot Federation probably 8 or so years ago but I never really saw much activity on there. I tried several times to co-ordinate a gaming tournament through contacts at Goldtoken without any success. I really enjoy playing Camelot on Goldtoken but prefer playing face to face in real time - it makes for a much different and better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't visited with him in a few years, I occasionally see Dan on Facebook. I think he also is (or was) on the editorial board for The Games and Puzzles Design Journal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
I think he also is (or was) on the editorial board for The Games and Puzzles Design Journal.

He is listed in the Editorial Panel indeed:
http://gapdjournal.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do what one of my Gen Con buddies did. Take your game of choice (say, Camelot) and create an event at a convention (Gen Con is good) and call it a world championship.

Then the event guide will say something like:

CAM10324 Aug. 10 7pm CAMELOT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 16 slots

Next thing you know, people start showing up to play that game you thought was dead, and you end up with some regular convention gaming buddies.

If the game is truly dead, nobody will object. And, hey, if it's not, at least you might hear from the people who still play.

Pete (has been "World Champion" of this his friend's particular dead game twice)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WW Johnson
msg tools
Thanks Pete, that's a great idea! I'm located less than a 100 miles from Indianapolis where Gen-Con is held each year so I'll check into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.