Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wargame rookie here!

First, the retreat priority says N first, then NE, E. Does that list go in order? In which case the cavalry withdraw would send the Americans right into the woods?

Second, if not, he REALLY slows down the British column by stopping their movement to engage in close combat, then pulling a cavalry withdraw over and over.

Is this ok? Am I making a mistake?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, cavalry withdraw is not the same thing as retreat. So, I don't think retreat priorities apply to it. If it is a retreat, then I think that either of those three directions are possible. But I'm having trouble finding that in the rules.

Also, I think that's the point of the cavalry unit: He's a really annoying delaying force.

Hope that helps! Have fun. It's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, thanks. (I was editing the question to change retreat to withdraw as you replied)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mochara C
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Retreat Priorities DO apply when executing a Cavalry Withdrawal.

Bear in mind, also, that as long as a unit is marked with a Cav. Withdrawal chit it may not move or execute another Cav. Withdrawal, so this tactic will only be available to you every two turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
Retreat Priorities DO apply when executing a Cavalry Withdrawal.

Okay. I read 12.4 more closely and in the definition of cav withdrawal it refers to it as a retreat. So, I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so in the Guilford instructions, 1.7 it says North, Northeast, East, does that mean any one of those, or go North first, unless it is not possible, then NE, unless that is not possible, then East?

As for this..
moly19 wrote:

Bear in mind, also, that as long as a unit is marked with a Cav. Withdrawal chit it may not move or execute another Cav. Withdrawal, so this tactic will only be available to you every two turns.

The Brits kept winning initiative rolls, so they would advance up to the cavalry, engage in close combat, then the cavalry would withdraw up the road. Then the Americans would go and the way I read series rulebook 12.44 the withdraw chit would be pulled during rally. Then they would be sitting there waiting for the Brits on the next turn. If the Americans could win an initiative roll so the Brits could possibly go twice in a row it might be different, but while it alternated, one stubborn horse unit held up an entire column of redcoats for most of the game. Again, unless I'm wrong as I'm new to all this (but enjoying it).

If I am doing it right, the obvious answer is to send a british cavalry unit with the crew that takes the southern road, because that takes away the cavalry withdraw option for the Americans. Still I'd like to get to the right answer.

Thanks for your help and patience all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.