Attack on Titan: The Last Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John White
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I'm having a hard time with the rulebook, I'm sad to say it's very unclear.
Keep in mind I'm using the french version, but the english version seems similar.

A few things that should be there if I'm correct:

- Assembling instruction and/or visual for the tower and Titan in the setup. A setup diagram would be also helpful for anything else.

- Players cannot check the tactics cards order in the deck

- Using the dice symbols in phase 6 is optional even if the sentence 'Dice may be spent in any order.' misleads to think otherwise

- You only roll the returned dice from the Titan once (using the term 'reroll' and saying that Titan symbols are set aside is misleading as rerolling in phase 2 is similar)

- Using a dice symbols for anything 'burn it' so it cannot be use for anything else. That's pretty intuitive in phase 5 as it's a separate phase and you can set the dices aside. For the tactics cards, it's not intuitive and it's not clear in the rulebook that you cannot perform the action AND the tactics for the same symbol.

- Maybe a nitpick but a simple mention of: all damage after third KILL ZONE space are lost

- Also nitpick, adding a mention to clear up confusion: The sum of the symbols used by all the Heroes during a round cannot exceed the number of all Cannons present on the Tower. (not on a single platform)

- Finally, the neck guard thing with 'damage V.S tactics effects'. I did not dig into this for now but there's also seems to be some confusion about this.

Here some questions that I don't have an answer yet

1) How the reroll in phase 2 works

I did read the post about that here and that is the answer:
You can't interrupt rolls. But you may re-roll a previously untouched die. No dice are locked until you are satisfied (except Titan heads).

I still cannot wrap my head around the exact intended process... At first I thought you can roll as many times as you like and any dice that you want as long as you don't get Titan symbols and then confirm you keeps the others results.

Then I thought that if you don't reroll, let's say 2 dices and you reroll 3 then you can only reroll those 3 as many times you like. No dices are locked then don't make any sense. Also, it's written you can roll one dice at a time or some of them. I'm really confuse by now

2) Phase 3: The third capacity of the Titan

This one is just confusing and would'nt be if I stuck with the french rules which says: The Titan's player can only use his third capacity when the health marker is in the WEAK ZONE or in the KILL ZONE.

Fine except I found a post here that says:
When in the Weak Zone, the Titan CANNOT USE is more powerful ability (the third one, last on his card, in yellow background).

So I turned to the english rulebook for confirmation that there's a mistake in translation (which would kind of make sense to be WEAK in the WEAK zone)... Well, no luck here, the english version on BGG flat out doesn't even mention a WEAK ZONE in the phase 3... So...?

3) Move action

A move symbol can get you up or down one platform but the tower kind of make it weird. If I'm on platform 4 and want to get on platform 6, I use two symbols or one? Do I need to get on the tower (5) then on 6? Or it is 'one platform higher)?

If I'm on platform 2 and want to get on platform 6... How many symbols? It's '2' platforms higher, then again it's '4' numbers higher but I can use the tower so (2 to 3, 3 to 5, 5 to 6 = 3).

If I stand on the tower, how can I get on the Titan? If I'm on level 5, how many symbols do I need to get to platform 1, 2, or 4?

So thank you for taking the time to read all this. I really want to like this game I was just a little bit confused :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Your assumptions are correct.

1. Re-roll any number of dice any number of times, by any pairing or singleton, and any dice whether previously re-rolled or not.

2. The English rulebook does not have the Weak Zone restriction. Maybe they thought English players needed an easier game.

3. Two Move symbols to get from 4 to 6.
Going from 3-5 is one, so your 2 example from 2-6 is correct.
From 5 it takes 1 symbol to get to 3, 4, or 6.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John White
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you very much for the answers, we played with those rules and it worked pretty well.

Quote:
2. The English rulebook does not have the Weak Zone restriction. Maybe they thought English players needed an easier game.

That is weird , we played with the french rule for this (third capacity available only in WEAK or KILL ZONE) I wonder if the inverse (like posted here),cannot use third capacity in WEAK or KILL ZONE or getting rid of it like in the english book would make a large difference.

So there's is no official rule for this one, huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake
msg tools
Yea, since it’s not in my rulebook, I don’t play with the titan only being able to use the 3rd ability when not in weak zone. I think it would make it significantly harder as the titan considering in a 4 or 5 player game, depending on which characters you have (Mikasa, Hange, Eren Combos), it’s pretty easy to keep the titan in the weak/kill zone, and you’d be spending all your dice just trying to heal up, and then probably not have enough to still use 3rd ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John White
msg tools
mbmbmb
Another round of questions after playing :

4) Levi ability : You don't give Titan symbols but you don't get to reroll them. In phase 4, you roll the dices than the Titan give back... Are we correct to assume that Levi don't get to roll any dices in phase 4?

5) You can cancel Titan's action by playing dices. In the case of '' grappling hook '' symbols only the player (s) affected can cancel the effects but only for them.

That means each hero affected must use symbols to cancel the effects for them. But what about others effects?

We understood that if no hero is in the affected area then the action automatically succeed. What if the action result would be a citizen killed but its only cancel by one of the affected players?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
4> Levi doesn't get to re-roll them.
5> Any player can allocate dice to negate a card that is not targeting the Heroes.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John White
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok thanks for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe1609 Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
when you say ANY PLAYER. do you mean one player has to have 2 dodge to negate the attack? or can 2 players put one dodge together to create 2 dodges to negate the titan attack? example:
targets 3,5. damage player 1hp and kill 1 citizen.
if NO PLAYERS are on 3,5 we still need to negate the attack otherwise we will lose 1 citizen correct? if so, can 2 heros use one dodge each as a team to negate the effect or only one player has to use 2 dodge die themselves to negate it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe1609 Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
also can sasha use her ability anytime she wants? like phase 5 when the titan shows his/her face down card. Can i use sasha's ability to change the dodge die to the needed die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe1609 Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
last question sorry. if abilities can be used when rolling or after rolling. can armin use his ability to change the strategy card his first roll? since it used a tactics die? cause the ability uses up 1 die. or do i have to use one tactic die to initiate his ability? can i use this anytime as long as i have a tactics die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Radical1609 wrote:
when you say ANY PLAYER. do you mean one player has to have 2 dodge to negate the attack? or can 2 players put one dodge together to create 2 dodges to negate the titan attack? example:
targets 3,5. damage player 1hp and kill 1 citizen.
if NO PLAYERS are on 3,5 we still need to negate the attack otherwise we will lose 1 citizen correct? if so, can 2 heros use one dodge each as a team to negate the effect or only one player has to use 2 dodge die themselves to negate it?

Two players may each contribute 1 die to negate the effect.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Radical1609 wrote:
also can sasha use her ability anytime she wants? like phase 5 when the titan shows his/her face down card. Can i use sasha's ability to change the dodge die to the needed die?

Yes and yes.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Radical1609 wrote:
last question sorry. if abilities can be used when rolling or after rolling. can armin use his ability to change the strategy card his first roll? since it used a tactics die? cause the ability uses up 1 die. or do i have to use one tactic die to initiate his ability? can i use this anytime as long as i have a tactics die?

I don't think anything any ability works before you roll.
Armin needs 1 Tactics symbol to swap the Tactics card.
This uses up one of the dice the player rolled.
Yes, you can use any Tactics die you roll to utilize his ability.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe1609 Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
thanks broham!!!
or pimpette if a girl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.