Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Did I screw myself over by purchasing the Kickstarter edition on EBay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Brown
msg tools
mb
Hey guys, long time lurker and first ever post here. So to my excitement, the package arrived this morning on my doorsetep and I felt like Christmas had come early. See I purchased a brand new Kickstarter copy on EBay for quite the price and was quite upset when I didn’t get the Act 2/Arcane Portal in the box. That was before I found that these contents just shipped to backers recently so I sent the seller a message asking him if he could send me the remaining content when he gets it. Im hoping that he’s the original backer because then, I fear that I won’t be getting the Act 2 contents until they hit retail. So I ask you guys, is it a bad idea to buy incomplete kickstarters on eBay?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brown
msg tools
mb
Exo Desta wrote:
If he sold you "the pledge" then he owes you the remaining content.

If he worded it trickily, he may only owe you what he sent you.

In either case, you were paying for the entire pledge, so that he should send you the Act 2 stuff and beyond, but ebay sellers are notoriously shady, and that dude was probably doing it solely for the profit -- in which case you may be SoL.

I wish you luck and holiday magic in getting the rest from him.

The exact title he used was “Sword and Sorcery Kickstarter Edition + Doors and Chests NEW IN SHRINK” so you’re right about the fact that he owes me the Kickstarter edition with all stretch goals(with the exception of Vastaryous Lair, that I can wait for on retail). Admittedly this is my first EBay purchase and EBay vets always told me to look for people with at least a minimum of 99% seller feed back and this guy is at 100 with tons of other reviews. I did send him a message regarding this matter and I’ll probably just contact EBay for a refund if I don’t get any responses any time soon. Thanks a bunch though and Merry Christmas.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, depends entirely on what the listing said.

If it does turn out that he won't send you more than he already did keep an eye out for listings that just include wave 2. With the wave 1 stuff you should already have the minis, map tiles, and tokens for act 2. So you probably don't really want the retail boxes that would include those items again. It might also be worth trying to contact Ares to explain what happened and see if they would be willing to sell you the wave 2 bundle directly. If they are it might be cheap than ebay listings.

Hopefully you can just get the rest from the seller. It's not necessarily bad buying on ebay before they have later shipping wave, but you definitely have to read carefully to make sure everything will be sent later and there is an added risk due to the time between shipping waves even when everything is included in the listing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
LJII19 wrote:
Exo Desta wrote:
If he sold you "the pledge" then he owes you the remaining content.

If he worded it trickily, he may only owe you what he sent you.

In either case, you were paying for the entire pledge, so that he should send you the Act 2 stuff and beyond, but ebay sellers are notoriously shady, and that dude was probably doing it solely for the profit -- in which case you may be SoL.

I wish you luck and holiday magic in getting the rest from him.

The exact title he used was “Sword and Sorcery Kickstarter Edition + Doors and Chests NEW IN SHRINK” so you’re right about the fact that he owes me the Kickstarter edition with all stretch goals(with the exception of Vastaryous Lair, that I can wait for on retail). Admittedly this is my first EBay purchase and EBay vets always told me to look for people with at least a minimum of 99% seller feed back and this guy is at 100 with tons of other reviews. I did send him a message regarding this matter and I’ll probably just contact EBay for a refund if I don’t get any responses any time soon. Thanks a bunch though and Merry Christmas.


You need to look at more than the title to know what was promised. There are often caveats and exception listed in the descriptions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, you have a great game, even before Wave 2.

The seller should forward the Wave 2 stuff when it arrives. (I would). I am still waiting for mine, and Ares says it should be shortly after the 1st of the year. It is one of the best 2017 games for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brown
msg tools
mb
cormor321 wrote:
LJII19 wrote:
Exo Desta wrote:
If he sold you "the pledge" then he owes you the remaining content.

If he worded it trickily, he may only owe you what he sent you.

In either case, you were paying for the entire pledge, so that he should send you the Act 2 stuff and beyond, but ebay sellers are notoriously shady, and that dude was probably doing it solely for the profit -- in which case you may be SoL.

I wish you luck and holiday magic in getting the rest from him.

The exact title he used was “Sword and Sorcery Kickstarter Edition + Doors and Chests NEW IN SHRINK” so you’re right about the fact that he owes me the Kickstarter edition with all stretch goals(with the exception of Vastaryous Lair, that I can wait for on retail). Admittedly this is my first EBay purchase and EBay vets always told me to look for people with at least a minimum of 99% seller feed back and this guy is at 100 with tons of other reviews. I did send him a message regarding this matter and I’ll probably just contact EBay for a refund if I don’t get any responses any time soon. Thanks a bunch though and Merry Christmas.


You need to look at more than the title to know what was promised. There are often caveats and exception listed in the descriptions.

Yep, did exactly that before buying. Description said the usual “new in shrink” and a disclaimer that one of the doors(as shown in the pics he posted) were warped and that I could “probably contact the publisher for a replacement”(which I didn’t really mind since I own miniatures doors already).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TBH, he might not even know that extra stuff is still coming.

If he bought it for sale and did not follow the updates closely...

Contacting him about it seems like the right thing to do.

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LJII19 wrote:

Yep, did exactly that before buying. Description said the usual “new in shrink” and a disclaimer that one of the doors(as shown in the pics he posted) were warped and that I could “probably contact the publisher for a replacement”(which I didn’t really mind since I own miniatures doors already).

How did he know one of the doors was warped if the game was still in its shrinkwrap? (I can't recall if my game arrived with the doors separate; that may very well be the case)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
LJII19 wrote:

Yep, did exactly that before buying. Description said the usual “new in shrink” and a disclaimer that one of the doors(as shown in the pics he posted) were warped and that I could “probably contact the publisher for a replacement”(which I didn’t really mind since I own miniatures doors already).

How did he know one of the doors was warped if the game was still in its shrinkwrap? (I can't recall if my game arrived with the doors separate; that may very well be the case)


The doors were separate in the smaller white box that was not shrink wrapped.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
The Wave 2 is part of the Kickstarter pledge so, if he is an honest vendor
He should sent it to you once arrived... asking a small shipping cost is reasonable too... otherwise let him a negative feedback and open a Paypal claim
I hope you will solve this issue soon
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brown
msg tools
mb
I just got an update from the guy:
“Hi there. Actually, I purchased the game from another guy who said he d send the extra item to me when it comes in. I didn t include it with this auction because I have no guarantee that he will actually send it, but if I do receive it I will forward it to you. If he doesn t send it when it comes in would you like to work something else out? Thank you.”

Looks like he’s willing to have it sent over after all. Hopefully that happens because it’ll be such an inconvenience if not. I don’t even know what exactly to “workh out” if it doesn’t come. I don’t exactly feel like refunding anything because I’m really impressed with what I got, especially that exclusive card holder. Regardless, I’d like to thank everyone for replying, it means a lot. Especially to you Simone, I cannot wait to play this excellent game. Here’s hoping it’ll be complete by the time I do.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flerik Flandeg
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a very similar situation, back in July I bought an ebay auction with "Pledge" in the title. Shortly after buying it I realized that it was missing wave 2, I emailed the guy and he was not aware of the 2nd wave but looked it up. He said he would send it to me when it arrives if I pay shipping. That sounds great, but I'm very nervous about until it actually shows up. The guy was kind enough to email Ares (back in July) and ask if he could update the shipping address on the kick starter but said he never heard back.

It would really suck to get screwed out of the 2nd half of the game especially since I paid above retail for it.

I hope it works out for all of us that are stuck like this.

I'm also without the codes to unlock all my characters in the app...but that I can live without.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brown
msg tools
mb
Yeah, I hope it works out for you really. I’ve been in close contact with the guy lately, especially with Wave 2 content being shipped to everyone as early as the 3rd to the 9th the latest(from what I’ve seen). Just like yours, he told me that the guy he bought it from changed the address to his so I’m anxiously waiting to see where it goes from there.

I did offer to pay for a small shipping fee for him to send it out but he was nice enough to say that he’d send it for no charge. I recently asked him if he’s able to get ahold of the original buyer for a tracking number so we’ll see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LJII19 wrote:
I just got an update from the guy:
“Hi there. Actually, I purchased the game from another guy who said he d send the extra item to me when it comes in. I didn t include it with this auction because I have no guarantee that he will actually send it, but if I do receive it I will forward it to you. If he doesn t send it when it comes in would you like to work something else out? Thank you.”

Looks like he’s willing to have it sent over after all. Hopefully that happens because it’ll be such an inconvenience if not. I don’t even know what exactly to “workh out” if it doesn’t come. I don’t exactly feel like refunding anything because I’m really impressed with what I got, especially that exclusive card holder. Regardless, I’d like to thank everyone for replying, it means a lot. Especially to you Simone, I cannot wait to play this excellent game. Here’s hoping it’ll be complete by the time I do.


If you're impressed with what you already have, then you could consider asking for a partial refund. Wave 2 is just cards/cardboard so much of it can be printed if you can manage to find a good picture of it online. This assumes worst case scenario, though, which we are all hoping will not end up being the case.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flerik Flandeg
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard from my ebay seller and he got an email with tracking info for the wave 2 shipment. He's going to mail it to me (as long as I pay for shipping)!

Really happy about this and pumped to check out Act II.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
norwegianpidgeon wrote:
I just heard from my ebay seller and he got an email with tracking info for the wave 2 shipment. He's going to mail it to me (as long as I pay for shipping)!

Really happy about this and pumped to check out Act II.


Awesome news! Glad everything worked out for you! And welcome to the (wave 1 and 2) Legend! laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brown
msg tools
mb
I got the mail that I’ve been waiting for since last year:

“Hello there,

Good news! The kickstarter item arrived today. I will get it out to you ASAP.”

I’m happy. That’s pretty much all I can say at the moment. Months of waiting and uncertainty finally paid off. Congrats to people who finally got their Wave 2 content and to those who didn’t get theirs yet, Ares updated their kickstarter and said that they’re shipping parcels(in the US at least) one state at a time so just have patience. I’d like to thank everyone who replied to this thread and I hope that you enjoy the complete S&S experience!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.