Subject: What's the consensus on the new vs old auction rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new edition has been out for many years so I have to ask - do you play with the new auction rules (the owner of the token pays one less) or with the old rules (the owner of the token pays one more)? The new rules give you more control over acquiring your "own" tile, but the old rules made it easier for the opponents to block you from getting it. What's the consensus among Goa veterans on which rule to follow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love the new rule, makes auctions more tense because bidders know the owner is more likely to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are an improvement, without it it's almost always a dumb move to buy your own auction but with that discount it might just make sense sometimes so it keeps people guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the original rules. Why should I have to overbid as second-last player in order to prevent the auctioneer winning his own tile? This makes no sense, and I disagree that it is dumb to buy your own tile under the original rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I prefer the old rule as well (as it usually creates more interesting decisions).
If everyone offered only tiles he'd like to buy, the whole "auction" becomes superfluous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also prefer original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
OG. Intuitive auction rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New rules for sure. It discourages low-balling since the opportunity cost to buy your own tile is so high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I don't like the new version auction. It's way to easy to hold onto, the powerful, first player token. Nowadays we play that the auctioneer has to match the highest bid, so basically a blend between the old and the new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
I don't like the new version auction. It's way to easy to hold onto, the powerful, first player token.
Then why don’t other players bid higher if it’s so powerful in the long term?
Also, holding onto the flag would mean the first player spends money every round on the first auction, causing two things:
- they have less money for the next auctions
- they spend money for just one extra action (which they might spend to get money back)

Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.