Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game of LoH tonight and a situation came up where my opponent had used all special actions except for usurp. He didn't have a glory token, but he didn't want to build a monument since that'd clear my special actions of tokens and would allow me to win the game with my next action. Was he allowed to choose the usurp action, forfeiting the effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmbmb
The wording on the special actions seem to suggest they can do that.
For example Build Temple says "may build a temple", which suggests you could take the action and choose not to build one.

On the other hand, the Glossary (at least in the print to play version of the manual) says:
"Usurp - Special Action - can be used if you have a Glory Token of the same color as the Region your Hero is in."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check page 10 of manual, first paragraph:
"Following the completion of their Regular Actions, a player must perform one of the avaliable Special Actions" (underlined by me).

So in this case, the wording is rather straightforward: you MUST perform a Special Action after completion of Regular ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmbmb
I asked the designers and it seems the answer is no after all. Waiting for someone to come over here and answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmbmb
Kumoja wrote:
Check page 10 of manual, first paragraph:
"Following the completion of their Regular Actions, a player must perform one of the avaliable Special Actions" (underlined by me).

So in this case, the wording is rather straightforward: you MUST perform a Special Action after completion of Regular ones.

That wasn't his question. The question is:
For the Special Action, can you choose Usurp even though you don't have a Glory Token so as not to build a monument when you don't want to.
Or could you Recruit even though all your hoplites are already on the map?
Just perform an action that will fizzle into nothing so you don't build the monument and free up another player's action tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
mbmb
You can't choose a Special Action which you cannot fulfill (eg. building a temple without having control of a proper Region).
And yes, you musst Perform a Special Action after you Regular Action to pass your turn to another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mayse
United States
Los Lunas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to clarify for me a little more...I understand that you MUST perform a Special Action to end your turn and you must be ABLE to fulfill the action, but does that necessarily mean you HAVE to fulfill it? Say I am able to fulfill the requirements to build that Temple with my Special Action, may I chose NOT to actually build it, but take the Special Action anyway? I may not want to build it as it may be too enticing for an opponent to try to conquer on their next turn and I don't have the resources to defend it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Harrison
United States
Glens Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warwalk wrote:
So, to clarify for me a little more...I understand that you MUST perform a Special Action to end your turn and you must be ABLE to fulfill the action, but does that necessarily mean you HAVE to fulfill it? Say I am able to fulfill the requirements to build that Temple with my Special Action, may I chose NOT to actually build it, but take the Special Action anyway? I may not want to build it as it may be too enticing for an opponent to try to conquer on their next turn and I don't have the resources to defend it...

No, because "performing" an action is the same as "fulfilling" the action.

What you really want is the ability to "Select" a special action without "performing" the action, and essentially doing nothing instead. It seems that the rules are clear in that you must perform a special action, not just select a special action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Lisboa Telles Ferreira
Brazil
flag msg tools
Ok, but what happens when there's no action I can fulfill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
antiheroi2099 wrote:
Ok, but what happens when there's no action I can fulfill?

You always can build a Monument. This special action is always avaliable (you don't need to control a Region with a Monument or have a Hero there or anything else to do it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.