Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I discovered this gem a couple of months ago.

Sure, is it fun!

Fun means fun. But also means brutally challenging.

Only took 14 sessions to beat it solo.
Playlist Side A

Damn pirates and Homeworld riots
Playlist side B

The first game was ominous enough. Turn five. No upkeep available. Two challenges unmet. BAM! Civilisation collapses.

There are a few rules I did miss out a few times.

*I advanced the era every playthrough, not only after victories.

*I probably used the alternative track boosting BATTLE phase option when it should have been unavailable due to adjacent rivals.

*I may have forgottten to seed named sectors with rival neutrals at the start of the game.

Part of what led to the toughness was a number of non-track boosting advances on the original seed of planets. A lot of Military (Battle twice) and FTL drives (Expand an extra hex away). It also wasn't until about 10 sessions in when I worked out how to actually get on the pathway to victory.

In the end the Vermicillia from planet PHO KO VIL in sector #36 achieved a Might Victory. To top it off they built an explorer's monument as well.
Vermicelli Civ CARD

VERMICELLI TABLEAU

Eco-exploration Empire: We will conquer your planet and then look after it

Some stats after 24 plays:

*4 wins (1 monument)

Deck size: 66 cards
Suits
SKULL 15
FIST 10
MOON 10
SUN 8
HEART 13
BIRD (foot) 10

Type
CIVILIZATION 4
BLANK (suit and value only) 9
PLNETS 26 (1) 12 (2) 4 (3) 10
TECH 27 (1) 8 (2) 5 (3) 14

After a total of 32 plays the map looks something like that.
(32 Plays)

And here's a couple more photos showing me playing a different map with some people at my gaming group. The first game of this saw neutrals over run the board. I was destroyed at least 5 or 6 times until another player claimed victory.

ONe thing I find interesting at the club is seeing how others interpret copying the suit symbols.

(For those of your wondering - the small plastic cubes come from Spheres of Influence: Struggle for Global Supremacy. They're pretty much perfect for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job!

Yes, I've missed some rules along the way also. We're growing and learning alongside our civilizations.

I like the way you've color-coded your cards. Mine are bland pencil on paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colour-coding helped me in the start. I gave up maybe around game 30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.