Subject: Many questions about card effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Cordeiro
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Amulet, Poem, Cloak and Deck of cards: cards with "After you complete a (...) work". The effect apply to itself?

2) Fan: I reveal three cards to everyone, ok. then I choose one to put on top. Does this choice have to be public?

3) Amulet: Sell a material means a Clerk action? i.e. card like Robe has effect on it?

4) Fontain: Monk cards revealed from hand can be considered covered if I have enough Clerk works on gallery? i.e. in this case, each Monk card revealed provides two extra actions?

5) Shuriken: I take a work from my oponent. Where can I put it? On my Gallery or Gift Shop?

6) Jar: Opponents have to reveal their hand to prove that they transfer all cards?

7) Flute: "For a MONK or POTTER action, you may respectively hire or collect..." Should not respectively exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes.

2) Most likely. It's a common wording for card games, but not completely intuitive.

3) No, selling is not always a clerk action.

4) The cards in your hand aren't helpers, so they can't be covered.

5) It goes to either wing, but remember that Shuriken counts itself before it can steal.

6) That's the intention, yes.

7) In this case respectively means Monk can make an opponent's card a helper (hire) and Potter can make an opponent's card a material (collect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, this is specified on page 21 of the rules.

2. Yes, this was answered in this thread: Fan: What Do Opponents Learn?

3. Amulet allows just selling with no Clerk action. Cards like Fountain, Robe, Bell, and Ring do not apply.

4. Each Monk card you reveal for Fountain does count as a Clerk helper.

If you had one (real) Clerk helper, two Paper works completed in your Gallery, and you reveal a Monk card for a Clerk task, you'd get five total Clerk actions: one for the task, plus four for two covered helpers.

But if instead you had two (real) Clerk helpers, you'd get only four total Clerk actions: one for the task, plus three for each of three uncovered helpers. It would work as if you didn't have cover because you have three helpers and only two Paper works.

This was discussed in this thread: Covering extra helpers with Fountain

5. Yes, Shuriken can steal a work into either wing. The stolen work need not be placed in the same wing as Shuriken.

As mynameisthis points out, you can steal only from an opponent who still has more works than you even after you include Shuriken.

In addition, if Shuriken is your fifth work in either wing, the game ends before you can steal a work.

6. There was some discussion in this thread (without resolution): Can You Look at Helpers, Sales, and Craft Benches?

I'm not sure - Jar is already pretty powerful without additionally giving you the opportunity to inspect your opponents' hands. Maybe they could just show you the card colors.

7. Yes, respectively is meant here. I suppose that, with smaller print, it could have been spelled out similarly to Sword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Cordeiro
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mynameisthis wrote:

4) The cards in your hand aren't helpers, so they can't be covered.

According to the Fountain text, they are helpers for the effect of the card, as gillum said.

gillum wrote:

7. Yes, respectively is meant here. I suppose that, with smaller print, it could have been spelled out similarly to Sword.

Yeah, its strange not be like Sword, my question came from this.

gillum wrote:

Jar is already pretty powerful without additionally giving you the opportunity to inspect your opponents' hands. Maybe they could just show you the card colors.

Based on this idea, for a Smith action, do I should reveal the support cards from my hand completely or only the color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tpcordeiro wrote:
gillum wrote:

Jar is already pretty powerful without additionally giving you the opportunity to inspect your opponents' hands. Maybe they could just show you the card colors.

Based on this idea, for a Smith action, do I should reveal the support cards from my hand completely or only the color?

That is a good follow-up.

Page 13 of the rules says, "For a Smith action, support cards are revealed from your hand."

The cards - not just the colors.

To be consistent, revealing ones entire hand with Jar would make sense.

I wonder whether there is any need to show the hand to any opponent other than the one who completed Jar.

If you look at the Fan thread linked above, you'll see that the game's developer and designer indicated that you should show which card you put back on top of the deck, which two you place under the deck, and the order of those two.

Giving all relevant information to your opponents may be general principle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chudyk
msg tools
designer
You do reveal your entire hand when another player uses Jar against you. When you use Jar the first time, you gain information to help you when you use it again, even if it misses completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Cordeiro
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cchudyk wrote:
You do reveal your entire hand when another player uses Jar against you.

For all players or just for Jar's owner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cchudyk wrote:
When you use Jar the first time, you gain information to help you when you use it again, even if it misses completely.

Use it again? How? Like in a 5-player 2-deck game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chudyk
msg tools
designer
tpcordeiro wrote:
For all players or just for Jar's owner?
For all players.
gillum wrote:
Use it again? How? Like in a 5-player 2-deck game?
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gustavo ag
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
General clarification

Are card effects applied immediately, in the same turn, at the time the work is built (crafted or smithed)?

For example, if the task is Smith and I build "Deck of Cards", then, could I be able to draw a card?

Deck of Cards: "After a Smith action, if you completed a Paper work, you may draw a card to your waiting area"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all card effects are treated identically.

It is best to consider the wording carefully and to consult the reference at the back of the rule set.

It was recently discovered that the effect for DECK OF CARDS was not worded as well as it might have been, and there was some confusion about its interactions with POEM.

There was quite a bit of discussion here: Poem and Deck of Cards

I believe that the resolution was that that card's effect might be better restated as follows: "Once during a SMITH action, if you completed a PAPER work, draw a card to your waiting area."

Feel free to ask if you have questions about other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.