Subject: Retaliation Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Eide
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing Cragheart and he has a card which the next 6 melee attacks suffered have a Retaliate +2 against the monster. Two questions:

1. If a ranges attack monster, say an Archer, is adjacent to me,
Does the attack count as melee? I’m used to adjacent attacks always being counted as melee. Or is it still a ranged attack and just disadvantaged, this I do t get the retaliate.

2. If it is a melee stack and the monster has a shield does it negate 1 of the damage? It’s not an attack so we played it as no,
The shield does not block one.

Thanks,

-Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verny wrote:
Playing Cragheart and he has a card which the next 6 melee attacks suffered have a Retaliate +2 against the monster. Two questions:

1. If a ranges attack monster, say an Archer, is adjacent to me,
Does the attack count as melee? I’m used to adjacent attacks always being counted as melee. Or is it still a ranged attack and just disadvantaged, this I do t get the retaliate.

2. If it is a melee stack and the monster has a shield does it negate 1 of the damage? It’s not an attack so we played it as no,
The shield does not block one.

Thanks,

-Kevin

1) Not sure about this one. My gut says the intention is for the retaliate to work against adjacent attacks regardless of if they are technically melee or ranged but I'm not sure.

2) Shield has no effect on retaliate. This is one of the great advantages of retaliate. If you know you'll be facing a bunch of shielded enemies (such as living bones) then loading your hands with retaliate cards can be an effective strategy.

EDIT: Upon further reflection I agree with the below statements that it would not work against an adjacent ranged attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. if the cragheart card says it only applies to melee attacks, then I'd say it doesn't apply to ranged attacks from adjacent hexes, as they are still ranged attacks. (if they were melee, then they wouldn't be Disadvantaged)

2. Shield does not defend against Retaliate damage, nor does it trigger any Retaliate itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been almost the same question a few days ago:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27747921

To quote myself cool :

The Cragheart's retaliate card triggers, and only six times. So if it were simply worded:

Quote:
On the next six attacks targeting you, gain Retaliate 2.

... it would also lose a charge every time a ranged attack comes in, without doing damage to the attacker.

With the actual wording

Quote:
On the next six melee attacks targeting you, gain Retaliate 2.

... it only triggers on melee attacks, so ranged attacks from adjacent hexes are not retaliated against.

To do so too, it would have to be worded:

Quote:
On the next six attacks targeting you from adjacent hexes, gain Retaliate 2.

... but it isn't. So I think the case is clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A ranged attack at distance one is NOT a melee attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eide
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks guys - and especially Phillip who gets to quote himself in the process laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
My battery is low and it's getting dark.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add on a question to this. So if the retaliate ignores the shield, are attack modifier cards used? We had been playing that retaliate was affected by shields and we would draw modifiers.

The only damage in the game that we didn't draw modifiers or shield block was trap damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mesclor wrote:
Just to add on a question to this. So if the retaliate ignores the shield, are attack modifier cards used? We had been playing that retaliate was affected by shields and we would draw modifiers.

The only damage in the game that we didn't draw modifiers or shield block was trap damage.

Attack modifiers are only drawn for attacks (and Shield only defends against attacks).
Retaliate isn't an attack, so no modifier cards are drawn.
The only thing that affects Retaliate damage are cards that deal with any "source of damage" (not to be confused with "source of damage from an attack", which wouldn't help with Retaliate damage, as it isn't an attack)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mesclor wrote:

The only damage that draws modifier cards are attacks (card says "Attack")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retaliate X causes the attacker to suffer X damage; it's not an Attack X, so you don't draw a modifier card and don't apply shields or armor. The Cragheart's "everything adjacent suffers 1 damage" works the same way; it cuts right through shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.