Subject: BSG 621 - The Cylons Were Created By Man rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Some people call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.
mbmbmbmbmb

The original invitation wrote:
Hello.

As some of you already know, I just started moderating an icon and text-based game of Battlestar Galactica, because I didn't have PhotoShop, and thought that was the only way to (easily) moderate a photo-based game. Since then, I have been informed of the Gimp and Open Office BSG moderator template, that, among other things, automatically generates images for the Battlestar Galactica game you're moderating:

This is probably old news, to many of you, but it's good news to me. I've started part of a test game, with it, and while I've experienced some errors, so far, I haven't gotten stuck on anything yet. There are some things, which, I haven't had a chance to try yet, like dispatching, but so far, I seem to be doing fine.

While I could change the game I'm currently moderating to a game with pictures, the players in that game have either indicted that they don't mind text and icons, or in one case, that they were looking forward to seeing a text and icon game.

Rather than change how I'm moderating that 1st game, I've decided that I want to try running a game, using each method. As the two methods feel rather different, I won't have difficulty keeping the two games, straight.

As before, I'm not ready to start moderating games with expansions yet, so this new game will also be a 6-player base game, using the no sympathizer rules. (Except that Boomer won't be restricted, even in a game with Baltar.)

If you aren't comfortable with the idea of an untested moderator, using the template for the first time, or would rather wait for more By Your Command games to start, I won't mind, and more importantly won't penalize you with asterisks on the waiting list. If, however, you would like to join in, please respond saying yes, no, or maybe. I've only invited people who have logged in within a week. As it's the holidays I will give you until the end of January 2nd, to log back in, and respond, before moving along to someone else. I will also occasionally check to see if you've logged back in. If you don't respond to the invitation within 48 hours of logging in, I'll skip you, and move on, to someone else, to save time. If you might be able to play, but need more time to decide, you may respond saying "maybe," in which case, I'll give you another 48 hours, from that point. If necessary, you may say "maybe" multiple times, but you can't delay past January 2nd.

If we need additional invitees, their time to respond will be based on when they received their invitations, rather than the time the original invitees received their invitations. While it's possible that we could start as early as today, if everyone accepts quickly, it's also possible that we may have to wait over a week, while waiting for invitees. There is no fixed start date.

As soon as I have at least one willing participant, I'll make an official thread for what would be Game 621, where I'll keep a regularly-updated list of invitee statuses, until the game starts. Does a week sound reasonable, to wait for a person to log in? (For invitations, not for game posts, where you should try to check in at least once-per day, on most days.)

I've decided to copy the formatting and most of the policies used by IriDiuM84 and Caimion, but even if you are familiar with their policies, you should still look through this post, as there are some differences.

All of this was made possible by ColtsFan76 and he has our undying thanks for that.

For info on PBF see - Tips and Tricks for BSG PBF

Standard Things to remember/know:

d10-1All players must have their own copies of the game and all expansions being used, if any. This is an FFG requirement, and since we're all REALLY thankful they let us do this, we're only too happy to comply with the one condition they set out for us.

d10-2Follow PBF conventions. Bold your actions! I will not process anything until bolded. Use italics for in-character talk, and use images for flavor and fun. Find lots of them here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/1834905#item1834905.

d10-3Use the image banners so we know who you are. If you're on a mobile device and don't want to look up your bannerID, please put your character name at the top of your post.

Courtesy of marlus, here's an amazing script that makes it super-easy to add those banners to your posts:
Quote:

1) Click on "Edit" on the top right of your screen to Edit your quick bar.

2) Chose an empty spot and fill label with "My Banner" and add the following text to the URL :

Quote:
javascript: (function() {var b = '[ImageID=xxxxxx medium]'; var t = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0]; t.value = b+'\r\n'+t.value;})();

3) Replace "xxxxxx" with the ImageId you want to use as your banner.

4) When you post, click on Reply/Quick Reply and then click on your Quick Bar Link. Presto!

It even works on mobiles, so no excuses not to use a banner!

d10-4Don't communicate with other players outside the thread. Any private communication should be between me and particular players. If you have a question that you don’t want to ask publicly, ask me, that's what I'm here for!

d10-5Subscribe to the thread! I expect that you will be able to check in at least twice a day, preferably at regular intervals. I like to run a game that doesn't get bogged down for ages because someone only checks in once a day or less. If 24 hours have elapsed and you haven't taken action you will be warned. (Major holidays celebrated in countries one or more of the participants lives in won't count toward this.) Repeated warnings will see me seeking a replacement player. Everyone hates waiting for someone every turn, don't be 'that guy'!

Of course, sometimes that annoying little thing called Real Life interferes with your ability to play, and that's totally OK. All I ask if you are having a really hectic time is that you try to find 2 minutes to either post in the thread or GM me saying "Hey, sorry but I'm really busy right now, won't be able to check the game today/tomorrow/this week/whatever". That way we're not all left hanging wondering what's happened to you. If you need more than a couple of days away form the game, I might try to find a temporary player to replace you until you return. Same goes for slow play. If you're travelling or something and you'll only be able to check in sporadically for a few days, just let us know.

d10-6Use Conditional Orders (COs) and the game will run smoothly. The game is much more enjoyable when it’s moving along and not getting stalled for days. Don't worry - if I have questions about your COs I will ask you privately, I'm not interested in trying to play "gotcha" by executing a CO that clearly didn't account for something.

d10-7Please send all your GMs to me with the subject line "BSG 621: <Character Name> - [Mail Subject]". EG, "BSG 621: Starbuck - CO for OPG usage". I am now moderating two Battlestar Galactica games at the same time, and if I get a geekmail with the subject "Skill check", that's going to cause me a bit of extra work to find out that little bit of extra info I need. This one really helps a lot, I appreciate you guys taking that extra couple of moments to properly title your GMs

d10-8I like to make my board updates after the current player has received their cards, so everyone knows how many cards are out there. So if you have a variable draw, please send in your COs for those as soon as you can.

d10-9Respect secrecy rules. Some often overlooked secrecy violations include:

* Providing a public CO (bolding when it is not your turn to act)
* Saying "medium" if you've played one card
* Talking about scouted cards (top or buried) beyond "good" or "bad"
* Identifying which cards/skill types you played into a skill check
* Volunteering the contents of your hand if it's not directly relevant to the current discussion

d10-1d10-0 Don't quote anything from more than two pages back in the thread. Say what you think happened in your own words.

d10-1d10-1 We will be following the Official FAQ and Unofficial FAQ (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Battlestar_Galactica_FAQ), but we will be ignoring the ruling regarding the Admiral having to disclose whether they chose the top destination. When a player chooses from the top two cards of a deck it is secret which card was chosen.

I will assume that each player has the following standing COs. Please send me a GM when you'd like to act otherwise.

* Pass on Declare Emergency

* Pass on Strategic Planning for shots against raiders, scouts if there's more than one raptor remaining, and shots by cylon ships

* Pass on most Character Abilities - I'll work this out in private with individual players after character selection

* Pass on Evasive Maneuvers for unmanned vipers that aren't the last one protecting a civilian ship, unless the viper would be destroyed

* Pass on anything that would be a clear soft-reveal (e.g., Evasive Maneuvers to re-roll a shot that missed)

* If everybody else has responded to an interrupt and you haven't, and you don't have the cards in question, I may pretend you sent me a pass CO, in order to keep the game moving. This will not divulge hand information since I will also pass those who sent me a pass CO at the same time. Please note that I will not always do this, to add to the uncertainty.

* If there are multiple conflicting CO interrupts, and the players have not worked out whose to play, I will play the lowest-valued interrupt. If it's still tied, I will play the interrupt for the player whose turn is soonest.

If players want to replace some base game rules with expansion rules for base game components, (such as investigative committees not revealing destiny,) you may vote on that, and I'll go with whatever more than half of the players decide.

Once we have all of our players, they can begin selecting characters, by the normal method, in waiting list order.

I'll keep the invitee statuses in a separate post below, so you know the difference between edits to the policies, and invitee updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The list of invitees are:

Robman IN
Mike_Bonn IN
Idiot_for_Life IN
mdmcclel "Alternate 1." Invited, but hasn't logged in, for over a week, so skipped, for now.
oldpear IN
pkwb "Alternate 2." Invited, but hasn't logged in, for over two months, so skipped, for now.
DrDuck DECLINED
EvadableMoxie IN
raster51 DECLINED
THN Wraith DECLINED
mrfan IN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

We need lolcese on board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's welcome if he's available, but when I invited him to the previous game, he said:
lolcese wrote:
Thanks for the invitation, but I will be on vacations with no internet two weeks on January.
Best,

Luis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
My arch nemesis, Mike_Bonn!

It's been way too long, my friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Christmas Season Rob!
It's when your wishes come true... even the one's you didn't want to!! MWAHAHA!!!

Nice to see you, buddy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evadable Moxie
msg tools
mb
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Christmas and all keeping me busy.

I'm in if the spot is still available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvadableMoxie wrote:
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Christmas and all keeping me busy.

I'm in if the spot is still available.

Don't worry. I gave people extra time to respond, because of the holidays. I'll mark you as in, and now, we just need one more player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the no-sympathizer rule we're using? I believe there are several variants out there. Is there a standard? Since we have 5 players now and no one is chomping at the bit to join, I suggest we proceed with 5. Five players is really the ideal number to play for the base game and then we don't have to manipulate the rules as written.

Speaking of manipulating the rules, the only thing I really think should be implemented is restricting the president to 10 quorum cards. I could go either way on the Pegasus style ICs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll be using the No Sympathizer variant, found in the Battlestar Galactica: Official Variant Rules.

mdmcclel logged in, last Friday, so I'd like to give him through this Friday, to respond, especially since this was a holiday week, and I had said I'd give people extra time. If he doesn't respond, by then, I can invite someone else. As none of you listed a player number preference, I'd like to give as many people from the list a chance to play, as possible, unless the majority of you want to start a five-player game, immediately, on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evadable Moxie
msg tools
mb
I prefer base ICs if we're playing base, but if everyone feels strongly about doing Pegasus I'm okay with it.

No preference on the quorum limit.

I'm fine with 5 or 6. 5 probably is more balanced but I understand not wanting to 'uninvite' someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for

Base IC
Quorum hand limit
Immediate hand over of loyalty for revealed cylons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_Bonn wrote:
I vote for

Base IC
Quorum hand limit

Same for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Larson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Mike_Bonn wrote:
I vote for

Base IC
Quorum hand limit

Ditto.
I prefer Pegasus IC, but don't feel strongly enough to object.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_Bonn wrote:
I vote for

Base IC
Quorum hand limit

I can get on-board with that. Forgot about the loyalty hand-over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdmcclel has officially been offline for over a week now.

If two more of you definitively say that you want to start a 5-player game, now, rather than waiting for a 6th person, we'll do so. If we get a 6th player, before you vote to start a 5-player game, we'll start this, as a 6-player game. If you start a 5-player game, but a 6th person comes along before the first player makes their move, I'll let you decide whether to change to a 6-player game.

Whatever happens, happy New Year's,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paranoid Seer
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite - I'd like to play, giving you a sixth player!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paranoid Seer
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldpear wrote:
Mike_Bonn wrote:
I vote for

Base IC
Quorum hand limit

I can get on-board with that. Forgot about the loyalty hand-over.

I also agree with these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McClellan
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys. Sorry I never got back to you guys. I was on vacation and internet was spotty. I fell way behind in all of my email responses

I'm back at work now, and should be able to respond if you need an alternate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdmcclel wrote:
Hi guys. Sorry I never got back to you guys. I was on vacation and internet was spotty. I fell way behind in all of my email responses

I'm back at work now, and should be able to respond if you need an alternate.

Thank you for letting us know what was going on. Unfortunately, you won't be able to play in this game, as we now have 6 players. I hope you won't have to wait too long to get into another game. If mrfan had declined, I'd have re-invited you, but since he accepted, the final player list is:
Robman
Mike_Bonn
Idiot_for_Life
oldpear
EvadableMoxie
mrfan

Robman may now choose any character. Then, the rest of you should continue choosing characters, in list order, using the normal method, for character selection.

Also, it looks like the group has voted for base game Investigative Committees, the Quorum hand limit, and immediate hand over of loyalty cards for revealed cylons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone know where someone can get a drink around here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Robman wrote:

Anyone know where someone can get a drink around here?

I'm working on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Now that's the Tyrol that I know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Larson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools

Anybody made of flesh and blood still here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idiot_for_Life wrote:

Anybody made of flesh and blood still here?

I'm here! You've got to help me. I'm Gaius Baltar. The greatest mind of our generation. Only I can save us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.