Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Variants

Subject: Secret Desires, Magic Potion & The Golden Scythe - Fan made Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, a big thank you to Jamey Stegmaier for the uber awesome game and tons of fun filled moments that it has given to my group and to me.

Disclaimer:
This fan made expansion works well with the base game and the Invaders from Afar expansion, this expansion has not been play-tested at all with the Wind Gambit expansion but could easily work with the Wind Gambit expansion.
This expansion has 3 modules which can be used individually or together in any combination as so preferred.

Module 1 - Secret Desires
Thematic background- The people of Europa have some secret expectations and desires that they want their respective leaders to fulfill by game end.

Components & Setup:
-A printout reference sheet mentioning all of the 10 secret game end desires.
-2 cubes of each faction color.
-1 thru 10 of any suit from a normal deck of playing cards.

For setup, shuffle the cards face down and select 2 at random and keep them face down next to the game board. Those will be the Secret Desires for the game to be scored at end.
(The numbers on the cards selected will refer to the secret desire mentioned at that number on the reference sheet).

Gameplay:
Players can produce with 3 workers(or 2 workers & 1 mill) on any village to look at one of the 2 secret desires instead of producing more workers(thematically the workers are producing the knowledge of the secret desire for their leader by meeting the village elders), the player will place one of his faction color cubes on the secret desire that he saw. For that player to look at the other secret desire, he will have to again produce with 3 workers(or 2 workers & 1 mill) on any village, he will put his second faction colored cube on the other desire too, thus indicating for the rest of the game to other players that he/she has seen the secret desire/desires. At the game end both the desires are revealed and every player who satisfies the secret desires gains 5 coins per secret desire achieved.
*A player may satisfy the secret desires even without looking at them during the game by just deducing based on the gameplay of the player who did look at the desire/desires.
*The secret desire reference sheet can be viewed by any player at any time during the game.

The 10 game end Secret Desires are:
1)Have highest power at game end (ties are friendly)

2)Be the first to place a star in atleast 3 categories on the triumph track (place stars in order whenever you place them on the triumph track)

3)Control 2 tunnel territories at game end (3 tunnel for 2&3 player game)

4)Have a factory card & 2 workers on any land territory adjacent to the factory (during setup this card to be removed if playing with Factory Explosion resolution tile)

5)Have the worker star by game end & be on 10 or higher on the popularity track

6)Have atleast 2 of each type of resource plus 2 of any resource by game end

7)Have 2 combat victory stars & 8 or more combat cards in hand at game end

8)Completing the other Desire fulfills this Desire (must have seen this Desire to score)

9)Control x no. of border territories(outer edges of the map) at game end (X= 6 for 2&3 player, 5 for 4&5 player, 4 for 6&7 player game)

10)Control atleast x no. of different territories & have none of your units on your home base at game end (X= 10 for 2&3 player, 8 for 4&5 player, 6 for 6&7 player game)

Video Tutorial: https://youtu.be/lvRjS9NVOiM

Module 2 - The Magic Potion
Component & Setup:
-Seven potion bottle tokens(or any token to indicate a bottle)

During setup, place 1 Magic Potion bottle on the home base of each active faction.

Gameplay:
This magic potion is acquired by any unit when on the home base by paying 2 coins & using a move action but that unit being on the home base itself (thematically- the unit finding the magician in the area around the home base), magic potion bottle can then be transported like it was any other resource.
The magic potion cannot be used for its magic on the 2 hexes adjacent to the home base(typically where your starting workers are) and the 1 hex that touches those 2 hexes of your starting workers.
*Magic Potion bottle can be destroyed in battle by the opponent(after loosing a battle such destroyed potion bottle is removed from the game).

Magic Potion can be used either by a worker, mech or the leader in any one of these 6 ways(once used the Magic potion bottle is removed from the game):
Worker- on a produce action a worker with the magic potion can drink it to produce plus 3 resource of hex he is on.
or
on a produce action on a village hex a worker with the magic potion can see 1 secret desire(instead of producing worker).

Mech- on a move action a mech with the magic potion can sprinkle the magic potion on itself to gain a movement of 1 additional hex for the mech & become invisible for that movement(movement does not stop on encountering enemy units)
or
on a move action a mech with the magic potion can sprinkle the magic potion on itself to move across a river to any unoccupied hex.

Leader-on a encounter if leader drinks the magic potion with him he gets a choice of 3 encounter cards from the top of the encounter deck and gets to choose one of them
or
on combat involving a leader he can drink the magic potion that is with him on the hex and gets plus 1 power added to his combat total (must mention before combat intention to drink potion in combat) & if the leader looses that combat then he gets to choose any one combat card from the combat card discard pile(instead of a blind draw from the combat deck)

**Note- the magic potion is a one time use token, once used it is removed from the game.

Video Turorial: https://youtu.be/0cqLLO9Ga-o

Module 3 - The Golden Scythe
Thematic background- During the great war of Europa many innocents were murdered and their corpses burned in the tunnels, their ashes were collected and kept in a radioactive enclosure in the factory. The spirits of the dead haunt the tunnels to this day looking to get their ashes back so their souls can be released into the heavens.

Components & Setup:
-3 golden key tokens(or any token available)
-1 radioactive enclosure token(not needed but adds to the theme)

For setup place the radioactive enclosure token & x no. key tokens on the factory(X= 1 for 2&3 player, 2 for 4&5 player, 3 for 6&7 player game)

Gameplay:
To get this golden key token the faction leader has to get it from the radioactive enclosure on the factory by entering the factory by any land territory adjacent to the factory, once on the factory the leader has to decide either to get the factory card or to get the golden key, if he selects to get the golden key then the leader just stays on the factory(does not get a factory card in this instance) and then upon his subsequent move action he opens the radioactive enclosure to get the key and runs away with it. This exposure to the radiation makes the leader weak and hence the leader looses their faction mat unlocked mech powers for that move out of the factory(and the passive airship boost tile power is lost too)
This golden key must then be transported by the leader to any tunnel where the spirits of the dead will activate its powers(the leader must end its movement on tunnel).

Once activated the key unlocks the Golden Scythe for that player and now that player will play a supercharged game of Scythe, making his player board a supercharged one.
From the next turn onwards that player gets the following benefit from his player board(does not apply to factory card):
-Gets 1 extra of any top row action that he takes from his player board throughout the game & gains +1 coin reward for any bottom row action that gives coins.
eg. trade action gives him 1 extra resource, bolster gives him one extra power, move gives him one more unit to move; where a bottom row action has no reward he does not gets 1 coin due to this power. If the player has build his monument then he gains 1 extra of popularity bump on the popularity track and similarly if the armory is built by the player then it gives him one extra power on the power track.

Key points:
*The leader can come back to the factory again to get a factory card if he desires.
*A player can only ever activate 1 key.
*The possession of the key can be lost in combat.
*Only a leader can carry the key around.
*A leader with an activated key cannot carry any other key.

Video Tutorial: https://youtu.be/1zKA4ZK0ssc

With that I end this post, I hope this will be fun for you as it was for me while making this expansion over a period of 3 months. Would love to hear some feedback after you get a chance to try it, on what you like, disliked, etc.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays

Update 1: Design diary link for those interested in reading the expansion concept creation and its playtesting:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18kWDVgpbI3jEgecZBgv0jfiB...

Update 2: Added short video tutorials for each module.
Apologies for the poor video quality.

Update 3: pls check my other fan expansion
Winds of Change:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30449457#30449457
More Structure Bonus Tiles:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30491583#30491583
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orest 1
msg tools
mb
Hello Mihir,
Thank you very much for these nice modules. I will try it next time.
Nevertheless, I have some Remarks and questions regarding Module 1:

1. The first desire can be looked up “with 3 workers (or 2 workers & 1 mill)”
The second desire “with 3 workers”.
Is this difference intended or is just the mill forgotten?

2. I guess in desire 5 it is better to speak about “the” star instead of “a” Star because “a” may lead to the interpretation that more than one star is possible.

3. In desire 8 the text speaks about “objective”. I guess that word should be exchanged by “desire” (twice).

4. How many border Territories we have. I guess there are 23 on the map.

5. Is the word “different” in desire 10 need. I guess the wording “Control atleast x no. of territories & ….” is better.

Regards
Orest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orest wrote:
Hello Mihir,
Thank you very much for these nice modules. I will try it next time.
Nevertheless, I have some Remarks and questions regarding Module 1:

1. The first desire can be looked up “with 3 workers (or 2 workers & 1 mill)”
The second desire “with 3 workers”.
Is this difference intended or is just the mill forgotten?

2. I guess in desire 5 it is better to speak about “the” star instead of “a” Star because “a” may lead to the interpretation that more than one star is possible.

3. In desire 8 the text speaks about “objective”. I guess that word should be exchanged by “desire” (twice).

4. How many border Territories we have. I guess there are 23 on the map.

5. Is the word “different” in desire 10 need. I guess the wording “Control atleast x no. of territories & ….” is better.

Regards
Orest

Hi Orest,
Thank you for your interest and would love to hear some feedback after you have tried any of the modules.

1)The second desire works the same way too i.e with 3 workers (or 2 workers & 1 mill), I could have worded that better.
Apologies for the confusion on that.

2)You are correct on that,I will correct it.
Apologies again for the bad grammar.

3)Good catch, completely missed it while i was proofreading it. Will correct it. During playtesting they were just generically called game end objectives and somehow in Desire 8 forgot to change that to "Desire".

4)Yes, there are 23 border territories on the map.

5)The word different is very much needed or else factory will count as 3 territories for this purpose and Albion controlled flag token territories would count as 2 and that is not intended in this Desire to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orest 1
msg tools
mb
Thanks for clarification and two more questions

1. Desire 2 means:
be the first who places stars in 3 categories OR
in 3 categories be the first who places a star?

2. For desire 6 one needs 10 resorces at least?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orest wrote:
Thanks for clarification and two more questions

1. Desire 2 means:
be the first who places stars in 3 categories OR
in 3 categories be the first who places a star?

2. For desire 6 one needs 10 resorces at least?

1) In 3 categories be the first to place a star.

2) Yes, correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have made another Fan expansion, pls check it out if interested:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30449457#30449457

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Amiel
msg tools
"Players can produce with 3 workers(or 2 workers & 1 mill) on any village to look at one of the 2 secret desires instead of producing more workers."

Do the 3 workers must be on the same village hex, or could they be on three different villages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vibramilly wrote:
"Players can produce with 3 workers(or 2 workers & 1 mill) on any village to look at one of the 2 secret desires instead of producing more workers."

Do the 3 workers must be on the same village hex, or could they be on three different villages?

Thank you for checking the variant out. Secret Desires is my personal favorite module.

Good question on it. It should have been clarified by me in the description.

All the workers must be on the same village.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.