Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Mosbacher
Germany
Villingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
is it possible to run and climb (page 26 in the rulebook)or not, because to "run" is a complex action and so the talents are lost (page 13)?

Thank you for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guest guest
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Nope you can't run and climb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mosbacher
Germany
Villingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it meant on page 26 "Talents...Climb: This unit may walk, run, or deploy onto cliff and rocks areas."?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellarionkjeldoran wrote:
How is it meant on page 26 "Talents...Climb: This unit may walk, run, or deploy onto cliff and rocks areas."?

Interesting. Run and Deploy are complex actions and both say on page 13:
"During their activation, a unit that is taking a complex action is treated as having no talents at all..."

But as you point out Climb mentions both explicitly.

Not sure how you reconcile that....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was cleared up in a Beast of War video; the game rep stated that you could not do both in an activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
It was cleared up in a Beast of War video; the game rep stated that you could not do both in an activation.

This one should be top of the list for the eventual FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bergan
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Not to challenge the authority of the Beastmaster video, but according to the Rules Hierarchy on page 4, Talent description takes priority over core rules in this book, thus from this perspective, since the climb talent specifically says you may run or deploy onto cliff and rock areas, and since these are always going to be occuring during complex actions (and saying you can do this when the talent would then be removed creates a paradox) it stands to reason that climb would be an exception to the normal rule that units don't have talents when taking complex actions. The only alternative I can see would be an oversight by the writer of the talent Climb, else if there is some game effect that I don't know about that would allow you to deploy or run not as a complex action. But yes, this should be at the top of the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WiseMike wrote:
Not to challenge the authority of the Beastmaster video, but according to the Rules Hierarchy on page 4, Talent description takes priority over core rules in this book, thus from this perspective, since the climb talent specifically says you may run or deploy onto cliff and rock areas, and since these are always going to be occuring during complex actions (and saying you can do this when the talent would then be removed creates a paradox) it stands to reason that climb would be an exception to the normal rule that units don't have talents when taking complex actions. The only alternative I can see would be an oversight by the writer of the talent Climb, else if there is some game effect that I don't know about that would allow you to deploy or run not as a complex action. But yes, this should be at the top of the FAQ.

You are absolutely right that given the hierarchy (I forgot about that) that the RAW would allow climb during run and deploy.

It remains to be see if that was actual intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WiseMike wrote:

Yeh, ive gone back to watch some of the older Beast of War vids and I think a lot of rules and even game mechanics have changed since release.

We've played this too like @WiseMike suggested, that the Talent overwrites the complex action negation since it specifically makes a point to say its active during Walk, Run & Deploy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.