Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a scenario that uses two full sets of original game boards.

The German end has 6 boards across, 2A, 4A, 6A, 6A, 4A, 2A, left to right.

The gray highlighted map edge set up spaces are on the 2A and 4A on the left, and the 4A and 2A on the right, rather mirroring the US set up on the opposite end.

Problem is that the German set up says, "Div. 1: Any grey border on 2A and 4A", and "Div. 2: Any grey border on 2A and 4A".

So, which 2A and 4A? Anywhere? Div. 1 on the right and Div. 2 on the left (mirroring the US)? The opposite?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Although I’m not familiar with this huge scenario, I think it reasonable to presume the designers intended the largest German division (Division 2) be placed in the largest setup area. In this case, the North side (right) of the map board, which has 12 hexes. The smaller South zone has only 8 hexes.

That’s what the designers did with the American side. The largest American division (Division 1) sets up in the largest American setup zone, which is also on the North side of the map, and it too contains 12 hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Squat
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The clue to the answer lies in the German reinforcements. Division 1 reinforcements come in on the northeast corner of the board, while Division 2 reinforcements come in on the southeast corner. The initial deployments should match this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
As Jack suggests, we're looking for clues to answer Kinley's question. If Jack is correct, then the German deployment zones are the other way around than what I guessed they might have been intended.

And I think Jack is probably right. His observation related to reinforcements is compelling, and the German divisions would then be consistent with the American divisions, which utilize the same deployment zones for both initial and reinforcement troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that’s what I ended up doing.

Appreciate your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kinley, what happened when you played this massive scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was fun, but the Americans overwhelmed the Germans.

Be happy to try it again, on either side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
From what I've read, that's what other players have found when energetic enough to take on this massive scenario; the Americans consistently overwhelm the Germans.

The Americans have at their disposal no less than 23 Shermans that have come onto the board by Round 11. Over the same number of rounds, the Germans have but 9 tanks, only 2 of which are Tigers; the rest are Panzer IVs. Although the Sherman is a somewhat lesser threat than most of the German tanks, the sheer number of M4 Shermans is breathtaking.

Since the Americans have 20 rounds to accomplish their mission, perhaps the scenario would be better balanced between the players if the Americans had, say, 15 rounds to get the job done.

All the elements of the original scenario would remain, but the American player would face a much more urgent and challenging timetable to capture the necessary buildings and bridges to win the game. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.