Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On all photos of the inserts I see that people make the vertical walls in a way that one pair of the walls is shorter and the other is longer. They look like this from the top:
----
| |
----

Why not make all sides the same length? It's hard to picture it with letters but I mean something like this:
|---
| |
---|

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's always the way I make most of my walls. The side benefit is (in my opinion) they are slightly stronger if made with the overlapped paper trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxes often aren't square, so you are still having to cut different lengths of sides.

Also I find it easier to get one pair of sides glued (steady with pins if needed) and then fit the others in place. It becomes a bit harder if I need to align all 4 sides together to glue them.

EDIT: Also it is simpler to measure one side, cut to fit, and then measure the remaining gap for the last 2 sides. The thickness of the foamcore (7.5mm for example) can complicate trying to pre-measure everything to fit as you describe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There may also be an issue with strength. If you push any of your sides the box will collapse into a parallelogram and if pressed hard enough will go flat. This may also happen just by handling with little force. Having the inserts inside the box will give it some strength when handled by the long sides. It may also be for a different reason and that is after the parts have been made the size of each compartment can be adjusted, the sides can slide to the correct position. If they are fixed as in the second example they cannot be adjusted later in the build process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.