6 Posts

Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What about this strategy ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien JU
msg tools
Hello my friends,
After our first game, I was asked if such a strategy was efficient ?
One friend said :
Why not try to only get the artefact with 5 points (the closest to the exit ) and then, run as fast as we can, out from the Dungeon...?
This strategy would leave only 4 turns to the opponents to get an other artefact and go out...before to be fired by the dragon...
Any suggestion ?
Thanks a lot !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember, your opponents do not have to totally leave the dungeon. They just need to take an artifact above the Depths Line. By the time they realize what you are doing, they should be able to find an artifact and use those 4 extra turns to get above the depths. Also, they will have had 4 extra turns to add extra cards to their decks that are worth points. I am not saying that your strategy is impossible to win with; just that it can be countered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! We had a player do this in a 4 player game once and lost miserably. Everyone else had plenty of time to accrue points and still make it above ground or even out completely. It did put some pressure on everyone to not just linger about, we had to hustle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
The best I've done with this strategy against experienced Clank! players is to come 2nd by one point. I wish it was slightly more viable. A lot had to go right for me to even get close to winning: good movement cards showed up early for me to buy while my opponents chose slower routes through the dungeon. The extra turns everyone else gets after you leave the dungeon are usually enough for them to follow you out or make up the points differential in other ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen this tried about 3 times, the person who does this usually finishes dead last to anyone else who actually counts points, and getting above the depths is not that hard so that is usually everyone, sometimes 1 person is stuck in the depths. It is to the point where when I teach the game I make a point of saying you CAN try that, but you are unlikely to win doing that.

In my experience vanilla clank goes to the person who gets the most gold the fastest, or if that is about tied, then the player who has a deck that is better at moving around the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vik Leroy
Switzerland
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried this strategy this week-end. Not because I wanted to do this, but after beginning the game, one player had to go quickly.
So I was near the artefact value 7, and planned to go out.

2 players were dead in the final (not having the 20 points, but they were out of the depths of the dungeon).

But, in my rush, i didn't have time to have nice cards or nice loot values.

I don't say that this strategy can't be a winning strategy, but in this case, I lost with only 30 points (I was unlucky though because carpet, boots, teleport, gems, or other nice cards are bought before I have to play), then a dead player with 50, another not dead go out the dungeon with 74 and the last dead player wins with 78 (she had boots and bought the keys).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.