Andre
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/23/opinions/trump-gaudy-challenge...

Article indicates the tradition of the presidential coin, but apparently, Trumps is more gaudy than his predecessors, and he eliminated the Seal of the U.S.

He also has his name on it 4 times, and the MAGA slogan on it twice. And of course, not to be outdone, it is larger and thicker than his predecessors versions, and it is "very gold", as opposed to the more subdued tones of predecessors.

Here is the link to the actual pic of the coin, and another article on it, including pics of his predecessors coins;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/its-very-gold-the-pr...

Laughs, Trump has to make a statement with everything that has his name on it. But in my opinion, like a lot of what he does, he is over-compensating.



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.

Who the fuck cares.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Cool.

Who the fuck cares.


People who can't limit their hatred to the significant stuff.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's so gaudy. Yuck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Cool.

Who the fuck cares.


People who can't limit their hatred to the significant stuff.


there is nothing wrong with hating Donald Trump for his endless ego-stroking and self-aggrandizing in any form since it is a large part of why he is the worst human being in the entire world
12 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Cool.

Who the fuck cares.


People who can't limit their hatred to the significant stuff.


there is nothing wrong with hating Donald Trump for his endless ego-stroking and self-aggrandizing in any form since it is a large part of why he is the worst human being in the entire world


But at what point is glomming onto every single, solitary instance of this and running to show others like Candace trying to get her brothers busted unhealthy?

I mean, is there anyone here who doesn't get it already?

EDIT: Oh crap, here it comes. I'm going to get accused again of defending him. Because... reasons.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
But at what point is glomming onto every single, solitary instance of this and running to show others like Candace trying to get her brothers busted unhealthy?

I mean, is there anyone here who doesn't get it already?


we're all basically stuck with him until the GOP gets turfed (because they are n e v e r going to do anything about him) and there's nothing wrong with a round of "can you believe this fucking guy" because it's cathartic and stress-relieving
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
But at what point is glomming onto every single, solitary instance of this and running to show others like Candace trying to get her brothers busted unhealthy?

I mean, is there anyone here who doesn't get it already?


we're all basically stuck with him until the GOP gets turfed (because they are n e v e r going to do anything about him) and there's nothing wrong with a round of "can you believe this fucking guy" because it's cathartic and stress-relieving


I guess that's my problem with it. "My hatred is more justified than their hatred" is still hatred. And then you say that it's not only okay, but good and therapeutic. It's hatred.

Trump is bad for this country. Trump and his influence needs to be cut off at the knees at every opportunity. But hatred isn't the answer.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
Avatar
GameCrossing wrote:
But hatred isn't the answer.

Can't it be, like, part of the answer, though? These are complex topics.
11 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can't laugh at some dumbass gaudy coin after reading about the President saying all Haitian immigrants have AIDS I might as well just shoot myself.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GoSteelers wrote:
If I can't laugh at some dumbass gaudy coin after reading about the President saying all Haitian immigrants have AIDS I might as well just shoot myself.

That reaction seems rather extreme. If you often imagine suicide after reading your news, perhaps it's time to seek help.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
GoSteelers wrote:
If I can't laugh at some dumbass gaudy coin after reading about the President saying all Haitian immigrants have AIDS I might as well just shoot myself.

That reaction seems rather extreme. If you often imagine suicide after reading your news, perhaps it's time to seek help.


Thanks for the advice.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
But at what point is glomming onto every single, solitary instance of this and running to show others like Candace trying to get her brothers busted unhealthy?

I mean, is there anyone here who doesn't get it already?


we're all basically stuck with him until the GOP gets turfed (because they are n e v e r going to do anything about him) and there's nothing wrong with a round of "can you believe this fucking guy" because it's cathartic and stress-relieving


I guess that's my problem with it. "My hatred is more justified than their hatred" is still hatred. And then you say that it's not only okay, but good and therapeutic. It's hatred.

Trump is bad for this country. Trump and his influence needs to be cut off at the knees at every opportunity. But hatred isn't the answer.

Oh please, the drama is unnecessary. Laughing at the guy in charge has a history about as long as since the first guy with a big club declared that he was in charge.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
I guess that's my problem with it. "My hatred is more justified than their hatred" is still hatred. And then you say that it's not only okay, but good and therapeutic. It's hatred.

Trump is bad for this country. Trump and his influence needs to be cut off at the knees at every opportunity. But hatred isn't the answer.


sure it is, just don't call it "hatred" because that's not really what it is, because if Trump were, like, even one-tenth as awful as he actually is, nobody would really hate him, he'd just be your garden-variety rich shithead, worse than average but whatever, he too shall pass, that sort of thing

call it what it is, which is righteous anger, and yes, expression of anger can be therapeutic, because you can't love an abuser out of being abusive, because that literally never works
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GoSteelers wrote:
whac3 wrote:
GoSteelers wrote:
If I can't laugh at some dumbass gaudy coin after reading about the President saying all Haitian immigrants have AIDS I might as well just shoot myself.

That reaction seems rather extreme. If you often imagine suicide after reading your news, perhaps it's time to seek help.


Thanks for the advice.

Just some gentle deadpan ribbing. laugh
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/23/opinions/trump-gaudy-challenge...

Article indicates the tradition of the presidential coin, but apparently, Trumps is more gaudy than his predecessors, and he eliminated the Seal of the U.S.

He also has his name on it 4 times, and the MAGA slogan on it twice. And of course, not to be outdone, it is larger and thicker than his predecessors versions, and it is "very gold", as opposed to the more subdued tones of predecessors.

Here is the link to the actual pic of the coin, and another article on it, including pics of his predecessors coins;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/its-very-gold-the-pr...

Laughs, Trump has to make a statement with everything that has his name on it. But in my opinion, like a lot of what he does, he is over-compensating.





Nice political statement that was made too with the design. Replacing "E Pluribus Unum" from the coin, because God forbid there should be any indication that all citizen are equal in this new Trumpian society.


Also the eagle is looking the other direction to the other coins. It is looking the other direction to the way it does on the Great Seal (and every other heraldic eagle I've seen the US use).

TBH there aren't that many single-headed heraldic eagles that look to the right (sinister in heraldic terms). Napoleon obviously, the Parteiadler of the Nazi Party, and the Arrano Beltza of the Basque separatists.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister would be left, not right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Sinister would be left, not right.


Not in heraldry. Sinister means left in Latin, and means left in heraldry, but it is left with respect to the bearer not the person looking at the device.
8 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
But at what point is glomming onto every single, solitary instance of this and running to show others like Candace trying to get her brothers busted unhealthy?

I mean, is there anyone here who doesn't get it already?


we're all basically stuck with him until the GOP gets turfed (because they are n e v e r going to do anything about him) and there's nothing wrong with a round of "can you believe this fucking guy" because it's cathartic and stress-relieving


I guess that's my problem with it. "My hatred is more justified than their hatred" is still hatred. And then you say that it's not only okay, but good and therapeutic. It's hatred.

Trump is bad for this country. Trump and his influence needs to be cut off at the knees at every opportunity. But hatred isn't the answer.

Well what about contempt?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
But at what point is glomming onto every single, solitary instance of this and running to show others like Candace trying to get her brothers busted unhealthy?

I mean, is there anyone here who doesn't get it already?


we're all basically stuck with him until the GOP gets turfed (because they are n e v e r going to do anything about him) and there's nothing wrong with a round of "can you believe this fucking guy" because it's cathartic and stress-relieving


I guess that's my problem with it. "My hatred is more justified than their hatred" is still hatred. And then you say that it's not only okay, but good and therapeutic. It's hatred.

Trump is bad for this country. Trump and his influence needs to be cut off at the knees at every opportunity. But hatred isn't the answer.

Well what about contempt?


Contempt, I personally think that's fine. I think he should be held in contempt. But I don't think contempt drives this "every minuscule thing must be dredged up" jihad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

It's a really bad design for a coin. I'd argue that it is not really a coin at all. Almost as if the person who signed off on the design did not actually understand what he was looking at.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
Does he put it on a chain and sing (c)rap songs?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.