Scott Conrad
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I have 3 kids that enjoy playing various games, ages 9, 10, & 13. We've been through the traditional retail games and are now onto Munchkin and Fluxx. I want them to eventually be comfortable with and capable of playing card games like Eldritch Horror (never played myself) and even some dungeon dive rpg style board games. Any recommendations to progress the difficulty of games without turning them off of the hobby by going too difficult?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they like card games, you might want to look at Fabled Fruit.

An option might be trying cooperative games where you can create teams to work together. Something like Forbidden Island would be good. I should think you could apply that to Tiny Epic Galaxies as well.

Then, there are always dexterity games like Animal Upon Animal or Meeple Circus, which, to be fair, I haven't played, but I've seen lots and lots of posts by parents playing these intergenerationally. Oh, Rhino Hero and Pitch Car, too.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go to an area game store or convention where all of you can look at and try many different games. Your children may have ideas about themes or gaming styles they want to try or play. You never know. You may have at least one *gasp* abstract gamer among them

Good gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan is really accessible. You could start playing that right now.

After this, Betrayal At House On The Hill is actually not very complicated as far as rules, but is complex enough that you'll have a good exercise making sure you are following rules correctly.

Near and Far or Above and Below could probably replace Betrayal At House On The Hill, but since you want to end up with a horror theme, I figured it was a good step.

At that point, you are ready to play Eldritch Horror. Just remember that a good game master can be the difference between new players grasping things and enjoying a game versus feeling overwhelmed. Make sure you know your rules very well before trying to teach others, especially kids.

Also, make sure your kids want to play heavier games. A 9 year old should be old enough to be taught all of the above games, but they might not want to play medium weight games. It's not really even about age. Some people just don't find heavier games to be fun. Hopefully they all really enjoy it and get into the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko would be my best suggestion!

The majority will say Settlers of Catan... even if I dont like it myself... it’s a best seller for a reason.

Other suggestions - fun games that age:

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)

Dixit

Carcassonne

Splendor

Incan gold

The transition comes by itself when they are ready... still the taste of games is highly individual and this also goes for the persons development age wise. Magnus Carlsen became a grand master in chess around 12/13 years of age.

Many (most?) can’t really comprehend, and then enjoy, more complex games until they are 15-16 years of age, like my nephew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Poe
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
rutherford82 wrote:
Catan is really accessible. You could start playing that right now.

After this, Betrayal At House On The Hill is actually not very complicated as far as rules, but is complex enough that you'll have a good exercise making sure you are following rules correctly.

Near and Far or Above and Below could probably replace Betrayal At House On The Hill, but since you want to end up with a horror theme, I figured it was a good step.

At that point, you are ready to play Eldritch Horror. Just remember that a good game master can be the difference between new players grasping things and enjoying a game versus feeling overwhelmed. Make sure you know your rules very well before trying to teach others, especially kids.

Also, make sure your kids want to play heavier games. A 9 year old should be old enough to be taught all of the above games, but they might not want to play medium weight games. It's not really even about age. Some people just don't find heavier games to be fun. Hopefully they all really enjoy it and get into the hobby.

I second Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill. Our 8 year old plays it with us and its only complicated for him if he is the traitor. Fairly complex game but the turns are fast and easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola - family game with out cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian laing
United States
san carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit and mysterium have worked well.

Letters from whitechapel is a good one since you can work together yet they can have their own team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think not many of the current suggestions are very good. Carcassonne, yes. Catan, maybe.

I'd say the classics. Get them to understand the comcepts.

TtR, 7 Wonders, Incan gold, Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep. Dominion. RA.

Frank's Zoo, Bohnanza. What are their interests? What are yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Beeson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My seven and eight year olds just moved onto Tiny Epic Quest and loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:
Agricola - family game with out cards

My 6 and 9 year old both loved this - although they never made enough points to win (partly because they are not willing to slaughter sheep...). The theme is very appealing to the girls, they understand that having a farm is/was hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Godby
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Breakmygamegroup.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Ticket to Ride. I play plenty of heavier games, but it is one of my favorite games still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your 13 year old could play most any game he is interested in.

Your 9 and 10 year would be able to play Almost any game.

I think in this case because your kids are a bit "older" The suggestion of Animal upon Animal above is usually reserved for people with 4-5 year olds looking for games.

Honestly at that point they can read and that is the biggest barrier. There are a lot of games that would work. I would suggest looking at family games and then picking one that the theme meets what your boys like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ones that are more complex than what they play but less complex than where you want them to end up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some of these might be a good step-up.

Santorini
Splendor
Ticket to Ride or Ticket to Ride: Europe
Carcassonne
Mysterium
Takenoko
Hero Realms
Century: Spice Road
Azul
Sagrada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ishkabibbel2000 wrote:
... ages 9, 10, & 13.

By my experience, those ages should thrive on Manhattan, which just now getting a reprint ... again.

(Best played with exactly 4, so you are nicely situated)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic and then add in Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower as they get the hang of things.

King of Tokyo

Smash Up

Takenoko

Machi Koro

Sushi Go Party!

Dominion

Ticket to Ride

Most of those games have expansions or additional cards that can increase the choices but allow you to start simple and ime have gone over well with those age ranges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.