Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
...what is the difference between 1st Ed and 2nd Ed of this expansion. Can the 1st Ed of On the Brink be played with the 2nd Edition of the Base game. Is the card back artwork compatible between the two versions?

Thank you in advance for you comments,
Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st edition is only compatible with 1st edition base game. It has wooden 10mm purple disease cubes, card backs to match, etc.

2nd edition matches the current art base game. Plastic 8mm purple disease cubes.

If you need the current version but prices are too high, be patient, it is supposedly being reprinted (listed as 'At the Printer' on Z-Mans website).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can push for a match by using TCG/LCG sleeves for the 3 decks (Role, Player, and Infection). In my experience the Ultra Pro Light Blue, Dark Blue, and Dark Green decks don't have any translucency problems so you can easily hide the different backs. However, yes, there's only 12 10mm purple cubes in the old set since In the Lab and State of Emergency were made during 2nd edition. Also, you'll lose out on the nifty petri dishes for the 2nd edition cubes. Though, I'm sure you can find some way to source non-cultured petri dishes on Amazon or someplace. And you can easily get the translucent cubes on the Geekstore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
You can push for a match by using TCG/LCG sleeves for the 3 decks (Role, Player, and Infection). In my experience the Ultra Pro Light Blue, Dark Blue, and Dark Green decks don't have any translucency problems so you can easily hide the different backs. However, yes, there's only 12 10mm purple cubes in the old set since In the Lab and State of Emergency were made during 2nd edition. Also, you'll lose out on the nifty petri dishes for the 2nd edition cubes. Though, I'm sure you can find some way to source non-cultured petri dishes on Amazon or someplace. And you can easily get the translucent cubes on the Geekstore.

1st edition actually comes with 6 Petri dishes as opposed to 5 in the 2nd edition. The sixth is meant for the player pawns and research stations.

There are also only 12 Purple cubes in 2nd edition OtB just like 1st edition. ItL and SoE come with additional cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was standard for the base game to have the petris instead of OTB. And yeah, was only mentioning the cubes because if the OP wanted to go for ITL, then they will have a cube mismatch. Though, SOE does come with 24 cubes in the box if the OP wanted to get it (More modular than ITL, includes a pretty random Hinterland side board, emergency events [negative events], Quarantines, and the oh so brutal superbug where you can't treat purple until you find the cure, then you must ERADICATE it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your input.

So it sounds like it is the components that are different. I just got for Christmas "In the Lab" and "State of Emergency" so I can use the plastic cubes from these expansions. But I can't make out is if the artwork of the card backs is different. If they are I may have to wait and see when/if they reprint this game expansion. From what my FLGS tells me it has been in reprint for quite awhile.

Thank you again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jasta6 wrote:
But I can't make out is if the artwork of the card backs is different.

They are. Shouldn't be a problem if you use opaque sleeves, but will be a problem otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

They are. Shouldn't be a problem if you use opaque sleeves, but will be a problem otherwise.

Was afraid of that. So the cost of the 1st ed OtB with sleeves for all four games may be as much as getting a high prices used copy.... Decisions, Decisions!

Or just wait.........

Thank you for the quick feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

Was afraid of that. So the cost of the 1st ed OtB with sleeves for all four games may be as much as getting a high prices used copy.... Decisions, Decisions!

Or just wait.........

Thank you for the quick feedback.

My vote goes for waiting Jim.

I have recently waited for reprints of Onirim and FUSE, and I'm very glad I did.

In my opinion the 2nd edition of Pandemic and On The Brink are way superior to the 1st edition, and are worth the wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
argentetbury wrote:

My vote goes for waiting Jim.

I have recently waited for reprints of Onirim and FUSE, and I'm very glad I did.

In my opinion the 2nd edition of Pandemic and On The Brink are way superior to the 1st edition, and are worth the wait.

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I'll give it time to come out. I have all the other expansions now, Thank you Mrs. Clause, everything is 2ED. We have time to play through the base game and SOE. I'll have to wait to play ITL till I get OTB. Ouch so many acronyms....

Thank you again to everyone's input!
Jim cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can technically play the lab with SOE, just that you don't have the petri dishes to keep the cubes from spreading about on that sideboard. I think Lehmann said that in a ITL or SOE thread. Also, can't do mutation yet until you get OTB as that has the Mutation Event Cards that causes more purple cubes to appear. At least Superbug doesn't use those (Not that it's hard on its own <_<, just imagine when more incurable purple cubes show up thanks to a standard player draw.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elisha
United States
Bala Cynwyd
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The version listed as 'second edition' sells for about $45 on Amazon. The version listed as 'first edition, second printing' sells for $144. Can someone explain this? Are we speaking in both cases about the second edition, and discussing which 'printing' it is?

I own the base game, second edition (plastic cubes). Would the cheaper game be perfectly compatible with this? What are people holding out for at the moment.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Both Pandemic base game *editions* have had multiple *printings* with slightly varying components.

The first edition Pandemic base set's card backs have completely different artwork on their card backs compared to the second edition cards, a different map, large wooden disease cubes, different artwork throughout, different rules, etc.

The first edition, second printing of the Pandemic base game has smaller pawns and cards with linen finish, compared to first edition, first printing. All OTB first edition printings should match that. I suspect the seller is trying to indicate that compatibility.

The second edition OTB should be compatible with the second edition OTB, although the pawns and research stations in both the base game and OTB did change from wood to plastic in later printings, so that is one area where the printings might not be compatible. There are a few other slight differences, especially if you happen to have the very first print run of the second edition (with the extra line on the map and different event card edges). Assuming you don't have that version, then -- other than possibly the wood/plastic issue for the pawns/stations -- a second edition OTB should be compatible with a second edition Pandemic base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.