Fish Zombie

California
msg tools
gulp

1) How often are people supposed to “win”? I have played 6 times, and we only won ONCE, and I think that was just luck.

2) The game mechanics seem off to me. IT seems like 2 steps froward, then 2 steps back (sometimes 3).
If you have a person who can search well, then there is a limit to how long you can stay at a location. Lets say you get 2 cards on each search. Awesome. You can help the team eat every round, and you can help with the crisis each round.
But the math is wrong.
The crisis calls for at least 1 card per player. (requires a successful search)
The Food your people eat cost one card per player (unless someone gets a 2 or 3 from the store). (Successful search)
And you need to kill one zombie, per character, per round (since they add 1 zombie per character outside).
This means each character outside needs ONE die for killing, and ONE die for Searching (if a search is 100% successful).
If you are on a space (pass station) that has 3 zombie spots, then you are limited to 3 rounds searching. After that, you are spending a die, every round, to kill the zombie that was spawned at the end of the previous round. So you are wasting an action. When playing 2-3 players, we can abandon a location, and get 3-4 more free searches at an empty location. When playing with 4-5 people, each location has a character, after the first round, and then fills up after 4 rounds max.
The only way around this, we found was if you have 1 player who can kill 2 zombies, and one player who searches each round, but that still only stalls the inevitable, given that a search is not going to 100% produce the item the round crisis wants, and the odds of a penalty adding zombies.
This is only dealing with the outside events.
There is still the constant adding of zombies in the shelter, which need a die to kill off, and the garbage needs cleaning.
So for us, 4 rounds is where the end quickly comes.
We have only played the scenarios where the goal is just to survive for a few rounds. I can’t imagine us doing better when we need to survive AND find XYZ items.

3) When you find new survivors during a search, can you just place that card in your hand, and not use it that round?
Can you just discard it, into the garbage, or hold onto it till the end of the game? More survivors mean more mouths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
1) While the game is cooperative, it is an individual who wins or loses. Not a team.
However, as a cooperative game, it's supposed to be tough. We always play with the betrayal cards, so we probably have a 15-20% win rate. But people who are good at games would do better.
2) Some of this is luck, based on the cards you draw, but you definitely need to make use of people's skills... And talk out which you are picking, so the rest of the team can pick characters who compliment yours. Then, make sure to trade weapons/items to those who can make the most use of them. And don't forget that you can call over zombies as an action. Also, it's better to barricade than to kill a zombie. And sometimes making noise is a necessity.
3) Yes, as far as I know, they are just a card in your hand until you play them. If you need a thematic excuse, it's like you met them in the wild and said "meet us later over there," and they pop up later. A player can also request that you give them that card, in case one person needs more actions/people/skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
1) It depends on the mode: on cooperative it's supposed to be difficult as you use the Hardcore mode as there's noone against you. In semi-cooperative mode if you would assume there's no betrayer the game is actually fairly easy but the doubt and personal objectives are messing it all up. I have a win rate at 30-40%% give or take

2) You assume the game is planned to have you resolving everything it throws at you. This is not the case. More often than not you need to go the optimal way and, for example, ignore a crisis that you could manage as not too damaging (you're surviving in a harh environment out there).
Even then, you ignore the extreme power of the barricades (3 barricades will delay the overrun by 6 zombies, no fight and red die involved), possible weapon you find (some don't even require a die and kill at distance), blueprints you find (searching and keeping 2-3 cards per action).
This game increase the preassure on the players as the turns advance but, in the same way, all the charachters power up significantly each turn (and i'm not even mentioning the colony improvements).
You have plenty of dice and actions (and even more powers) to deal with all of that.

3) Survivors are like any other card you can keep in your hand (thematically you just found out other people without asking them to join you). Event cards mean once used you don't place them in the trash (they go out of the game). As Dizz mentioned other people can ask for it and you can give them using them immediately. You cannot willingly discard them (you can "not take" them in a search given the chance though).
True more mouths to feed but more actions as well. In addition out of the colony you don't feed them, in the colony you have a 1 food to 2 survivors ratio. It can be beneficial if used correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2) you only need food for survivors+helpless at the colony (not at locations outside), and then only 1 for every 2 survivors+helpless rounded up (so 2 survivors and 3 helpless survivors = 3 food required). The same count is used for zombies at the colony. At the start of the game therefore it is common to not need any food at all as everyone is out scavenging.

3) you can keep them in your hand until you use them, but you can't just duscard them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fish Zombie

California
msg tools
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I guess people in my group are not thinking as much as a team as they could. Last game we had 15 useless survivors in the camp. 15! last round we just lost everything to adding zombies, and no food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pris Cilla
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi,what do you do with starvation tokens,we can't seem to find anything in the rulesbook,thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
pris22 wrote:
Hi,what do you do with starvation tokens,we can't seem to find anything in the rulesbook,thanks

If you don't have enough food to feed the people at the colony, instead of removing any food, place a starvation token in the food supply and lose a moral. If you have another round where you can't feed your people, do the same thing, but lose two moral. Etc, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.