Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Mayo
United States
LAWRENCE
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else feel like Dracula doesn't have much of a chance to get cards? I got pummeled to death tonight in the second week. Lord G and Van H double-teamed me with multiple items and cool events, and I realized I'd only gotten one Dracula event card. My five random combat cards seemed really underpowered for every fight.

Did I just get bad luck from the nighttime event draws? Or am I missing a Dracula card-drawing action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunters taking the supply action at night is the only vector for Dracula gaining event cards other than some event cards in and of themselves causing Dracula to gain them. They played the game right: Didn't give you cards, did not send Mina into a fight alone nor at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will only get Events Cards when the Hunters gamble by supplying at night.

In the end though, that's not what killed you. the fact that two hunters caught you is why you died. One is manageable, but when two of them are throwing punches at you, Dracula doesn't stand a chance.

This is where the theme feels a little off, I think. This is a cat-and-mouse game. Your goal isn't to kill them in combat, but rather to never be in combat in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WafflesAndWorlds wrote:
Does anyone else feel like Dracula doesn't have much of a chance to get cards? I got pummeled to death tonight in the second week. Lord G and Van H double-teamed me with multiple items and cool events, and I realized I'd only gotten one Dracula event card. My five random combat cards seemed really underpowered for every fight.

Did I just get bad luck from the nighttime event draws? Or am I missing a Dracula card-drawing action?

There is the possibility for Dracula to gain an event by maturing the Hoax encounter. That card is chosen from the previously discarded Dracula events and there is the added benefit of shuffling the discarded Dracula events back into the deck so shifting the future probability in his favour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Kourganov
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one thing about group fights in the rules that I always did wrong as Dracula, and those group fights always went very bad to me. Now when I know this thing, it is not entirely that bad, although still not pleasant either.

Dracula chooses what hunter does he engage each round after the hunters choose their combat cards. This little note does change the balance a lot, so in case you have committed the same mistake... Things might change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dertarr wrote:
Dracula chooses what hunter does he engage each round after the hunters choose their combat cards. This little note does change the balance a lot, so in case you have committed the same mistake... Things might change.

After they choose, not after they reveal. So Dracula's choice is between two face-down cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Kourganov
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True. But that means both hunters still need to think about their defence abd cannot just boldly play weapons every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Schiavinato
Canada
flag msg tools
So a simple route to victory for the Hunters is simple attrition - never supply at night. There is nothing forcing them to do so, you prevent Dracula from obtaining anything. Seems like a little bit of an oversight. Too much of a main disadvantage for Dracula...

He should be able to influence Mina to shop at night. They have a psychic connection and she can sense his presence right? He should be able to turn that connection onto her and influence her to shop at night, give him more possibilities to gain cards - that could even it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Hunters are supplying in the day, they aren’t moving, and will have a very difficult time finding Dracula’s position.

In that time, Dracula could easily mature a vampire or two as well as other helpful encounters.

And if you don’t find Dracula’s trail early enough, he can flee to sea during week 3 and just run out the clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkness275 wrote:
So a simple route to victory for the Hunters is simple attrition - never supply at night. There is nothing forcing them to do so, you prevent Dracula from obtaining anything. Seems like a little bit of an oversight. Too much of a main disadvantage for Dracula...

He should be able to influence Mina to shop at night. They have a psychic connection and she can sense his presence right? He should be able to turn that connection onto her and influence her to shop at night, give him more possibilities to gain cards - that could even it up.

It's not an insurmountable disadvantage for Dracula. If hunters never supply at night then they must do so by day which means they can't move. In the early game they may just want to gear up but later on they will need to move and also possibly resupply if they run down their inventories so this is a disadvantage to them.

Also Dracula is powerful even without event cards, he has his encounters that can damage and otherwise interfere with the hunters,and give him influence if he matures Vampires. He also has his special powers which can be very useful if used properly.

Finally he has Fury of Dracula which will give him victory if he can stay out of the way long enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.